South Carolina Public Trails: The Status Quo

For everyone that gets on the internet and complains about how few trails there are in this state, this thread is a prime example of why the situation is what it is.

I've heard a lot of complaining the last couple of weeks about the Enoree situation. I've gotten calls and emails about it. I've called the USFS and emailed them, with no satisfaction. However, I'm only one person and it's pretty easy to ignore just one individual.

I made a request in that thread that people call the USFS to help create a sense of urgency and to let them know you aren't happy with the situation. I asked that when people did this, they post the details of their call back in the thread.

As of now, the only people I know that have bothered to check on the Enoree delay are members of SCORE. These are the same people that are involved in everything, every time when it comes to trying to get good trails in this state. Where are all the people that are unhappy about the lack of trails?

So here's a bit of advice. The next time someone feels like whining about the trail situation in SC, ask yourself the following: "How much have I done to help the situation? Have I helped on a volunteer workday this year? Have I made any phone calls or written any letters on the matter? Have I done anything to improve things this year?"

If the answers are "NO", your next action should be to keep your mouth shut. Period. ?

Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh today, but I'm fed up with the situation and the completely apathetic attitude I see.

If people want to have to drive for hours, while burning $3/gal gas, or pay $25 a head to take their familes to play for an afternoon, then keep on doing nothing - it's working just fine.

So, feel free to come by my place and get some duct tape placed over your pie hole if you feel you need some help to keep it shut.

Because I won't be listening to it any longer.

Where's everyone else at on this???

Out riding.

I found out a long time ago that people don't fight for their hobby as much as others are fighting to eliminate it ?

I hear so many people saying that "somebody should do something" but they don't call, they don't write and they don't do anything. There is a core group of SCORE members who help a lot and do everything they can and then some. If we could get 1/10 of their effort out of everyone who complains but does nothing then we could see some real change.

Ivan

I also feel that not nearly enough people fight for our sport, & to keep riding open, but this is a delay, not a trail closure. I don't see where phone calls or bugging them is going to help anything in this case?? They already know they are losing a bunch of money by not having it open.

But to your point, you will NOT hear me complain if I haven't tried to do soemthing about it!!!

The only reason they started working on it again was b/c of the SCORE people who started calling after they noticed nothing was being done.

They will keep the trails closed as long as they can if it was up to them. The money aspect is nothing to them. They don't care.

I also feel that not nearly enough people fight for our sport, & to keep riding open, but this is a delay, not a trail closure. I don't see where phone calls or bugging them is going to help anything in this case?? They already know they are losing a bunch of money by not having it open.

But to your point, you will NOT hear me complain if I haven't tried to do soemthing about it!!!

RyanK -

The phone calls are to remind them that they have "customers" that are not happy with their service and will hopefully create a sense of urgency to speed things along.

They closed this trail about a month earlier than it was scheduled to close so they "could be sure they would have it completed in time".

I can show you the emails I have received from higher-ups with the USFS that, while polite and lengthy, say absolutely nothing and insult my intelligence. There is no accountability and I was given no reasons for the continued delay in the progress of the project.

Want an example? This is the response I got to my inquiry as to the reason for the delay in the Enoree parking lot expansion project. I'll paraphrase so as to save you some reading -

"It's hard to know exactly when the Enoree OHV Trail will re-open since the work is in the contractor's hands and the weather is unpredictable. The ranger is also uncomfortable committing to a specific opening date because of the many uncertainties, not the least of which is the weather. With that said, she is hoping that everything will go well and they will be able to open the trail in a month or so."

Does anyone see a REASON for the delay in that response?

It's a "I dunno" response to the question, "WHEN will Enoree re-open"?

Even this response begs the questions -

"Does the contractor not provide you with an estimated number of work days to complete the project, thereby indicating an estimated completion date?"

"Does anyone track the project to know what its status is?"

"If the work is in the contractor's hands, implying you have no control or accountability, then which orifice was the one-month figure extracted from?"

:ride: :ride: ?

Perhaps the reasons for my irritation are becoming clearer?

:worthy:

Finally found time in my busy schedule to fire off an e-mail to the link provided for comments on the USFS website. Tomorrow we increase the dosage. Enoree is managed out of the USFS office in Columbia. I'm calling 803-561-4000 to see what response I can get. I will be respectful and businesslike. After all, these are Federal employees who answer only to God and the Sierra Club.

?:worthy::ride:

Finally found time in my busy schedule to fire off an e-mail to the link provided for comments on the USFS website.

Can you post this link so more of us can add an email to our barrage on the powers that be. I did a search but couldn't find any reference to Enoree.

Just sent this email plus put in another phone call to Alice Riddle. ?

To whom it may concern:

I'm writing this letter on behalf of my self, my sons and numerous fellow dirtbike enthusiasts to complain about the early closing and (now) delayed opening of the Enoree ATV Trail System. I appreciate that expanding and grading a parking lot takes time but after a full 5 months of uncommonly fair weather surely your chosen contractor can wrap this up or at least explain the unreasonable delay.

Thank you for your time and the work that you do and please consider that we are being kept from our "public" lands well into our limited riding season.

Sincerely, Wm. Mark Dulken

I just heard from the district rangers office for Enoree and they are asking for help this Saturday from any volunteers that would like to help out with putting up a split-rail fence in the PL and some trail marking too. Start time is 8:00am and if the weather looks bad call the "call before you haul" number for a rain date.

I learned of the work day and was quite interested however the attitude that the ranger is taking about the work day has turned me off. I'm as anxious as anyone to ride and I'm also willing to put forth some volunteer time to help maintain our riding areas HOWEVER these rangers have to start coming around to the idea that they have responsbilities, these people helping are volunteers and there needs to be some accountability. I understand why some have quit trying because these situations make you feel like no one is working for the same cause.

Man...every time I call down there and talk to Alice Riddle she's as nice as can be and is sympathetic to our wants, ya'll must be getting those people on their bad days.:applause:

But she never gets anything done.

You can be nice and useless all at the same time.

Ivan Liechty

Not Ivan Haynes who works with them all the time on behalf of SCORE... I would hate for him to get blamed for my negative comments.

Thanks for the props, but unfourtunately were not really working with them much at the moment. People like Alice try hard, but they are just individuals in a big bueracracy. In the late 90's and early 2000's we had meetings with US Forest Service and were consistently led to believe that we would get more trails if we just worked with them to help bring the current trails up to environmental standards. We had a few dozen workdays all over the state, over a number of years, and so far no net gain in trail mileage.

We even have a US Forest Service district in the Upstate with 183,000 acres and not one inch of OHV trails. That's the Andrews-Pickens District.

Right now Manchester, a State Forest, is working with us and even let us build a 9 mile trail this winter. So that's where our efforts are going.

I'm always open to work with the US Forest Service, but we can't keep going up there over and over again with no results. Hopefully things will change in the future and we can start working with them again.

The USFS is in the business of timber management and timber production for revenue. Every other use of USFS land is just tolerated at best. Don't plan on any help or any improvement in access over the next decade. Look back at all of the restrictions that have been put in place by the USFS over the last 10-15 years. Their long term policies and planning are already in place and being implemented. I can assure you that they don't include our interests. You might as well :applause: if you think we can make any impact on them. The lobbying by vested interest groups has their ear.......among other things. Happyday!