Grizzly Hare Scramble 4/22

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was rolling back for the Chinahat ISDE last night and heard the news about Trav, that sux :applause:

Sounds like you guys had a hell of a race. In contrast Chinahat was about the best i have ever seen it. Rained all day Saturday before the race and left perfect hard beach sand and NO dust for the race. Perfect conditions and a great layout.

Toby, glad you had a good time at your first race. You always learn a lot. If you enter a race plan on sticking it out only letting a broken bike or body stop you because bringing home the 1st place trophy is fun... or so I'm told :excuseme:

What did you guys think of the obstacle course, after the MX track and before the sagey area?

The mx course, the obstacle course and sage brush area was about the only place I could get a rythm going...meaning standing up. So I liked it!

Must've paddled a good few miles!

I'm glad a lot of folks enjoyed the race. I worked the race and took many (800+) photos to share, which should be ready in no more than a couple days. The woods section was wicked; by the end of the day pretty much all of the front section was closed off because there were no good places to route around.

What did you guys think of the obstacle course, after the MX track and before the sagey area?

Many kudos to all the folks working the race, it was very organized and the sweepers/course workers were right on top of everything :applause: . Great decisions to re-route when some of the the mud holes became impassable.

As far as the obstacle course goes it was pretty tame...and I'm ok with that.

I thought this race was blast :excuseme: Glad that long course ran first because by time the shortcourse was out there bikes were dropping like flies...

Got to spend some time with Scone trading lines and racing in the woods :applause:

All in all a very good event by CFMC but I also question the sound test... I was in line pretty early probably one of the first 10 bikes, new 07 WR450 with stock exhaust and I blew a 98db (I saw the meter with my own eyes but something was skewed) I was pretty sure that I would be 90 or less. Loren Tonsgard was infront of me with his Husky and they said 102db on his and I'm saying no way was that bike 102db. I went back to some of my friends that I know have louder bikes than mine and they came back with lower levels

Anyone working the souncheck care to comment? It's not that big of a deal I just wanted a good baseline so that I could work on getting some more performance but try to stay around 96db?

My RM250 with a pretty new FMF Turbinecore II 'Q' silencer tested at 98 at the Sparkplug (I blew it off as wrong) but at the Grizzly it came in at 91. :applause:

I don't see how a new WR would test at 98...I think the stock '07 YZ450's are 96 or 98 to meet the new AMA rules and the WR's are much more quiet.

I was rolling back for the Chinahat ISDE last night and heard the news about Trav, that sux :applause:

Sounds like you guys had a hell of a race. In contrast Chinahat was about the best i have ever seen it. Rained all day Saturday before the race and left perfect hard beach sand and NO dust for the race. Perfect conditions and a great layout.

Toby, glad you had a good time at your first race. You always learn a lot. If you enter a race plan on sticking it out only letting a broken bike or body stop you because bringing home the 1st place trophy is fun... or so I'm told :excuseme:

Hi Kelly,

I did bring home a 1st place. Woohoo!!!!!!!!! I should ride those things for points. It was fun, but I need to move up a class.

My RMZ450 with a Yoshimura exhaust/spark arrestor and 96db insert was at 95db, which is what it read at the last sound check I was at. One really good thing for me was during the extracation of my bike from the mud monsters grip I was afraid of filling the pipe up with mud (big thanks to the person who suggesting tipping the front end up and over to get the rear end out). Anyways, the pipe did get filled with mud but the spark arrestor and screen kept it contained and it didn't go down the pipe. That would explain the lack of power and funny noise as it was about 75% plugged. So far it looks like the only damage was a lost glove, my pride and about 3 hours of cleaning time. :applause:

Just got done cleaning the bike...found a few good size rocks wedged in the frame and case saver. Gonna pull the wheels and check the bearings and re-grease the axles. Pulling the case saver to get the remainder ash/mud out. Just riding it around to air dry it worked a bunch more mud out. Gonna have to wash again lightly.

I like to keep my stuff clean. Easier to spot problems or prevent them!

Pictures are posted

Be patient, because there are a lot of pics.

If you class placers want better pictures of yourselves in the future, try turning around and waiting for a sec after you walk up and get your trophy. :applause:

Some of the pics are out of order, because the two cameras were not time-synched...doh. I hope you enjoy nevertheless. :excuseme:

Pictures are posted

Be patient, because there are a lot of pics.

If you class placers want better pictures of yourselves in the future, try turning around and waiting for a sec after you walk up and get your trophy. :applause:

Some of the pics are out of order, because the two cameras were not time-synched...doh. I hope you enjoy nevertheless. :excuseme:

hey Moto nice job on the pics!!!? Thanks for taking the time to take all the great clips!! Again thanks.. Dave S.?

I helped out with sound test for the first time in a couple of years. I have to say that it was really nice to not have to fail anyone (I didn't have anyone above 98). That tells me that guys and the manufacturers are getting the point. Racers anyway. Poker run tests are still the pits with our four wheeled friends being the biggest challenge. Nothing like 100dB on your farm implement...

The thing with the sound test is it can be hard to get the speed right with the vibratach. Really, that's the place where there is potential for error. I wasn't there when the bike blew 102 (and I also wasn't there when it came through the second time.................) so I can't really comment on that. It is possible that the meter was on the C scale as that is the scale that they go to when they first get turned on. The test person has to push the button to get it to the A scale. The testers are experienced guys though so who knows.

It's interesting to notice how different your ear's perception of the exhaust can be from the meter sometimes. It was nice also to hear some of the new White Brothers pipes are pretty mellow sounding - even at above sound test speed. Back when I was a cheif sound test Nazi, the WB pipes and Big Dumb pipes were awful. Yesterday, a few of the FMF pipes passed ok but as soon as you got above test speed they were too loud. The test is still the only practical way to do a lot of bikes though.

It was neat to meet several guys from TT and KTMTalk when they came through sound. I'd also like to give a huge thumbs up to Russ Henry who volunteered to help me test when all the CFMC help were flagging the MX track and I was alone at sound. In case anyone hasn't noticed, Russ is one heck of a great guy.

Thank you for the pictures! You got one of my big pass. It's at the end of the long sand drag and Jesse was over half way down when I rounded the corner onto the straight. I pinned it and started shifting gears and caught him right when the picture was snapped. I'm on the right.

146397663-M.jpg