DR650 License Plate Relocation

I really didn't like the fender extension on my DR so I tried the move shown on keintech.com. It looked good but the day after I made the change I got pulled over 2 times because the local law couldn't see the plate until they got up on the bike. The one guy even told me I am asking for trouble and that I would get harassed because the plate wasn't in plain site. So I took the tag bracket off the fender extension and used hose clamps to mount it to my luggage rack. Hopefully it will last. Just thought I would share this.

I replaced the stock tailight with the DRZ one that I got from Jesse.

Then, I got some "L" brackets and mounted them to the factory holes that the factory plate holder (could they have made that thing any bigger?) used, and mounted the plate to them.

I used LED (lighted) bolts to mount the plate to the "L" brackets so I have plate lights.

I painted the brackets yellow so the are not noticeable- really can't see them anyway.

One if these days I'll figure how to post a pic.

I can send you a pic from my phone if you'd like!

I had a fella that bent some SS and made a plate to replace the flapper.... Dumb ARS at the dealer didn't even notice 'till I AXEed about it..... Stuck a little clear trailer light under the lip to make light up.....

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=12952&thumb=1

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=12953&thumb=1

Looks a hellva lot better with out that,,, flapper,,, IMHO. Kind of see the light here...

2006_0521_181357AA.jpg

on your pic #1, where you can read suzuki under the tail light; I drilled two holes and mounted there. haven't been pulled over yet. still has the tail light illuminating it also.

? I should have look at kientech.com before I replied. Mine looks almost the same. I actually drilled holes in the plastic fender. plate is on a little closer to the edge of the fender.

I think you have some nasty cops out there. I have seen other DP's and street bikes with the plate actually in the fender sideways contoured like the fender.

Be aware that some (most? check your's) states require that the license place be illuminated with a white light. Some conversions don't do this. If your conversion doesn't have this in a state with that requirement, you could be pulled over at night if the officer can't see or read your plate.

I agree that the stock contraption looks kind of goofy. I just bent a piece of 1/8-thk stainless sheet and drilled holes to mount under the threaded holes in the frame. Added cheap lights from AutoZone and soldered to the existing wires. Works great. DR650LicensePlate.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

To GaThumper....

That plate design is pure genius. I even modified it further and used the stock license plate bolt holder, so now I didn't have to drill any holes in the plate. Thanks for the easy tip...