Sign in to follow this  

how many miles is too many

only thing dodge on that is the motor... they handed the viper motor to a motorcycle designer and said build a bike around this.

I'd rather have a Boss Hoss. GM motor, much cheaper price, and its a real production bike, not just a traveling showpeice like the tomahawk.

boss hoss ... :thumbsup: i met a guy in daytona during bike week a few years ago that had the big block version. we swapped bikes and went for a nice ride and ill tell ya ... that thing is awesome. it rides extremely well and handles well for a bike that size. and the power .... WOW... roll the throttle just a touch and you can easily pass well over 100 mph with plenty to spare. im not sure what they will top out at but they fly. if i was crossing the country or just doing hundreds of miles a day id consider one ( a used one ) sorry about getting off topic here. asfar as your post .. i wouldnt be afraid to buy any truck with 150,000 miles on it. just make sure that you or your mechanic give it a good check before buying it. all these new vehicles seem to hold up really well. scott

Chevy doesnt make bikes... if they did I sure as hell would have one, and I bet quite a few other chevy owners would too.

:thumbsup:

Seriously?

Anyway, look at consumer reports if you want to argue reliability. The big three don't even come close to toyota or nissan (with the exeption of the titan).

As far as the arguements FOR an S-10, don't listen to any praises. GM recognized it was a lemon. That would be why you don't see 2007 S-10. The Colorado gets terrible reliability reviews as well. People that say theirs lived for 150K with NO problems, are either high or lucky. My father in law drives an '88 or '89 S-10 he has had since new. He sings it's praises all day. I believed him for a while too. Until one day I found out that almost the entire drive train has been replaced and the engine (newer than the truck) has been rebuilt. Yeah, it's a real great truck alright. I realize it is 18 years old, but so is my truck and it has no problems and never has.

in a few of my friends s10's the interior started to fall apart

My father in law can't open his door from the outside. The windows have to be pushed down while cranking, as well as pulled up. He has put more than one new ignition switch in, at one point we could start it with a screw driver. Keep in mind this truck hasn't really seen off road (it is 4wd), and all the maintainence has been done over the years. It's his baby, he treats it better than his kids.

I am not brand loyal. If Chevy could beat Toyota at reliablity and performance and not kill me on price, I might go for it. They have till next summer. Wife is letting me buy my new truck!

Curious, my wifes 89 S-10 with over 200,000 miles on it runs and drives great, even though we beat the shit out of it on a daily basis (thats why we bought it)

Only 2 problems it has whatsoever is the radio has a nasty short in the volume control that makes it crackle and the dash light switch for the parking brake is stuck (brakes not stuck on, just the light is)

Other than that, everything works 100%.

Just to give ya a short list of what the truck goes through on a weekly basis, last week we:

Hauled 1600lbs of top soil in it

yanked 2 very overgrown holly bushes out of the ground

Hauled 2 very overgrown holly bushes to a field.

Nearly got it stuck in 12inches of sloppy mud on a dirt road... had the speedo pointing at 35mph the whole way and was moving maybe 5mph (by the way, its a 2wd!)

a few 80mph runs down gravel country roads... including a couple hills that'll get ya some air at those speeds

and about 40 short trips around town.

If some of ya are managing to destroy a S-10 in under 150,000 miles, and you don't do the type of stuff above on a daily basis, you need to seriously look at your maintenance habits.

Just one input of many.

My 94 Ranger has 220K miles and still runs well. And is a 4cyl. Bought it with 150K miles. It has been very good to me. :thumbsup:

2000 S Blazer 4X4, loaded. Meticulously maintained and NEVER abused. No mods, just normal use. Numerous problems ranging from petty interior stuff to driveline problems. Spit out the front diff @ 55k miles, for instance, fuel pump @ 40k miles then again @ 70k, front wheel bearing @ 60k, etc. Atleast it still looked brand new when I traded it, for the most part. It did have some paint defects from day one that GM would never make good on.

Now driving a 4x4 Tacoma which works fairly hard on weekends and am experiencing zero problems. The feel of the GM can't even compare to this Toyota, it's as if they are in different leagues and not competitors.

Coincidence? Me thinks not.

I bet you have a rice burning bike.:worthy::ride: :ride: :p:lol::ride:

Yep, three of them!:thumbsup:

only thing dodge on that is the motor... they handed the viper motor to a motorcycle designer and said build a bike around this.

I'd rather have a Boss Hoss. GM motor, much cheaper price, and its a real production bike, not just a traveling showpeice like the tomahawk.

Maybe so, but at least the tomahawk has the Dodge name, which is more than can be said for the Boss Hoss, which is not a chevy name...

I could just picture a Chevy bike... It would be on the Schucks or GI Joes showroom floor right next to all those other awesome bikes! :worthy::thumbsup:

sorry for hijacking a thread but how about a on a deseil f250? how many miles is too many?

I have friends who have gotten several hundred thousand miles out of older Powerstroke engines without any major issues, but the rest of the truck is another story. As always, it depends upon how well the vehicle was maintained and how it was used.

If some of ya are managing to destroy a S-10 in under 150,000 miles, and you don't do the type of stuff above on a daily basis, you need to seriously look at your maintenance habits.

Yeah, we didn't rebuild the thing from the ground up every weekend.

You got lucky.

paint defects from day one that GM would never make good on.

Was is blue? Our blazer had paint defects from the factory. Paint bubbled after about six months. Chevy told us it was because of rocks. We showed them a bubble and the guy walked away. Maybe we were supposed to put a cover over the car when it was outside? Grocery store too?

Yeah, we didn't rebuild the thing from the ground up every weekend.

You got lucky.

Good maintenance is hardly luck. And if it is luck as you call it I guess I must have alot of it, since this is just one of 7 or 8 200,000+ mile GM vehicles I've personally owned (2 of them S-10s) and half a dozen or so more in the immediate family that I've maintained for most of their lives. At some point you gotta stop calling it luck and just call it what it is, good engineering and a quality product.

Personally I'm glad so many people are afraid of high mileage vehicles reguardless of condition... I've owned some really nice cars for very little money because of that myth.

Gosh, I hope us domestic lovers have other trucks to throw into this comparison other than the S-10. I had a Blazer and it was a tough machine although I had to repair a few things with hardware and paint was crappy. Also I know two guys, one had a Toyota and the other a Nissan. Both had over 200k of mostly trouble free mileage. But the crappy metal rotted everywhere and the trucks other than the engines and manual transmissions turned to Fred Sanford's wanna bees. Maybe you might call these exceptional vehicles but I wouldn't have been seen in either one. POS is more appropriate.

And although I'm not a Chevy guy, the Silverado is truck of the year! But we all know Dodge rules in the heavy duty truck business.

yeah no question theres other domestic trucks worth mentioning, but the OP only seemed interested in the minitrucks, so I didnt bother mentioning the Colorado, or silverado.

Toyota makes good stuff, no question about that... but for what they cost (even used) you could buy a lower mileage GM vehicle with enough money left over to customize it or buy some other toys.

I'd recommend an early-80's S-10 with the 2.8L V-6 - those things were good for 70K miles easy, sometimes 75K! My engine siezed at 65 MPH on I-495 outside of Boston, with the crank bent enough that the crank pulley hit the water pump pulley. Junkyards just laughed when I called - "we don't got any - they're only good for 70 thou anyway"

GM vehicles may be better now, but I'll never own one to find out.

I'd recommend an early-80's S-10 with the 2.8L V-6 - those things were good for 70K miles easy, sometimes 75K! My engine siezed at 65 MPH on I-495 outside of Boston, with the crank bent enough that the crank pulley hit the water pump pulley. Junkyards just laughed when I called - "we don't got any - they're only good for 70 thou anyway"

GM vehicles may be better now, but I'll never own one to find out.

wow, I guess someone's snuck into my driveway and replaced the motor in my wifes truck AT LEAST 3 times since it has over 200k on the 2.8 under the hood.

New starter bendix, rebuilt the water pump and a fresh clutch... thats all thats been done to the truck. 70k? Rofl... try changing your oil once in awhile.

I have to chime in on this... I have a 95' s-10 4.3 v6 with over 170,000 on the original drive train. It runs very strong and has been on some long road trips. I have concluded that it all has to do with the engine size. On most s-10's the little 2.2l just works too hard and wears out faster than thebig v6... just my 2cents!

I have to chime in on this... I have a 95' s-10 4.3 v6 with over 170,000 on the original drive train. It runs very strong and has been on some long road trips. I have concluded that it all has to do with the engine size. On most s-10's the little 2.2l just works too hard and wears out faster than thebig v6... just my 2cents!

The 4.3 is a great motor. They will last a couple hundred thousand miles.

The 4.3 is a great motor. They will last a couple hundred thousand miles.

My 4.3L in an 89 S10 read 183k on the clock when I got rid of it (mistake), and it's still on the road today at well over 260k, but I will admit she smokes a bit now.

I'd buy another 4.3L if I was in the market for a minitruck-the only engine repair I had was a water pump at 150k, and a starter at 160k. After that it was mere maintenance items-cap, rotor, plugs, wires, oil changes, etc. The 4.3L is the same bore and stroke as a 5.7L, and shares accessorial components, and even Ford lovers can attest that the 350 was a great motor for durability.

Many seem to confuse maintenance (tune-ups, brakes, shocks, etc) with true repairs such as engine, differential or trans failures.:worthy:

Maybe this is becuase they don't perform maintenance?:thumbsup:

PS-I still think the 2.8L was a POS-CC, you just got lucky is all.:ride:

Just one input of many.

My 94 Ranger has 220K miles and still runs well. And is a 4cyl. Bought it with 150K miles. It has been very good to me. :thumbsup:

I too have become a fan of the rangers. Picked up a '94 with a 2.3L a few years ago for $3200, and it only had 47,000 miles on it and looked brand new. Honestly I was looking for a Toyota but couldn’t bring myself to pay so much for a 150,000+ mile truck.

My 4.3 Blazer had 145k when I sold it. It was running great. My son got rid of his 4.3 S-10 at about 190k. I think the air conditioner and the alternator were replaced. Not bad service since he only changed oil occaisionally and nothing else. It was auto too.