KDX 100 Project for the Wife

So I bought two KX 100s. A 98 and a 2000. I am going to ride one a little and get rid of it, but the one we keep is going to be made into a trail machine for the wife. Here is what the list will include

Lighting Stator (already Got it)

KDX 200 Head Light

Tail Light

Liscence plate

Flywheel weight

Spark Arrestor

IMS 2.6 Gallon Tank

Skid Plate

Kick Stand

Brush Guards

Should be a pretty trail worthy bike when I finish it. She is comming off a TTR 225 Electric Start. It was a little heavy for her. I think the KX is more than 100 lbs lighter!

Suggestions?

what about a quiet exhaust

So I bought two KX 100s. A 98 and a 2000. I am going to ride one a little and get rid of it, but the one we keep is going to be made into a trail machine for the wife. Here is what the list will include

Lighting Stator (already Got it)

KDX 200 Head Light

Tail Light

Liscence plate

Flywheel weight

Spark Arrestor

IMS 2.6 Gallon Tank

Should be a pretty trail worthy bike when I finish it. She is comming off a TTR 225 Electric Start. It was a little heavy for her. I think the KX is more than 100 lbs lighter!

Suggestions?

KX100 is an awesome little bike - My wife has one set up similar to yours. :thumbsup:

My son is saving his money for a lighting coil and light. But sinc you brought it up, any recommendations on brand, where to get, etc? I don't remember if it was Chapparrel or dennis Kirk, but new kits were around $150. I don't remember what brand :thumbsup: .

You're setting it up like I have, and it makes a GREAT little trail machine, esp. with the flywheel wt.

I have my 1995 KX100 set up almost exactly the way you want yours.

Electrex (Electrosport) lighting coil. Don't pay attention to the directions that come with it, they are useless. Just install it across from the ignition coil and run your yellow wire out with the rest of the wires. There is an unused hole in the rubber grommet that you can push it through. It doesn't put out too much power, so running a headlight and taillight may be pushing it. I have a DR350 40w headlight, it is dim at idle but gets bright as soon as you add throttle. I am running a bicycle taillight, good enough for the desert. Make sure you have a voltage regulator too.

12 ounce Steahly flywheel weight. Really helps with keeping the motor going at slow speed for climbing hills, etc. Easy install.

FMF Fatty pipe and TurbineCore 2 silencer. The Fatty adds even more low end grunt and the TC2 for spark arrestor friendly areas.

IMS natural tank. Was nice for me because it upgraded the look of the bike, I had the old one shroud setup. Of course it also gives a bit more range, maybe 40-50 miles now.

I also installed a kickstand. Nice to have for trail rides. The 95-97 KX100 had a factory option kickstand so it was easy.

One tooth smaller front sprocket (12 I think?). Low end power again.

Kouba lowering links. My 10 year old son rides this bike, he needs to grow a few inches so this got him in the saddle a year ahead of time and will allow him to keep the bike a year or two longer. Less upgrading for me is good.

Next thing I want to add is some brushguards to protect hands and levers. It turns into a great trail bike with the above mods, a KDX100. Maybe Kawasaki should market it that way.

My son is saving his money for a lighting coil and light. But sinc you brought it up, any recommendations on brand, where to get, etc? I don't remember if it was Chapparrel or dennis Kirk, but new kits were around $150. I don't remember what brand :thumbsup: .

You're setting it up like I have, and it makes a GREAT little trail machine, esp. with the flywheel wt.

Try here

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/weights.php?s_description=&s_make=All+Makes&s_category=10&weightsPage=2

www.steahlyoffroad.com

I have my 1995 KX100 set up almost exactly the way you want yours.

Electrex (Electrosport) lighting coil. Don't pay attention to the directions that come with it, they are useless. Just install it across from the ignition coil and run your yellow wire out with the rest of the wires. There is an unused hole in the rubber grommet that you can push it through. It doesn't put out too much power, so running a headlight and taillight may be pushing it. I have a DR350 40w headlight, it is dim at idle but gets bright as soon as you add throttle. I am running a bicycle taillight, good enough for the desert. Make sure you have a voltage regulator too.

I have the Electrex too. I got it for $40 shipped from Dennis Kirk. Closeout. It is listed as a Moose offroad, but it is an electrex. Thanks for the help on the directions. I was trying to figure out what to do! I thought it went in place of the stocker, and had the output of the yellow wire on top of it. I was totally baffled. The directions make it seem like you need to run wires from the ignition coil to it?? That definately helps alot knowing you already did it.

Oh, yeah. I do quite a bit of welding and kickstand is definately on the list. I am going to Fab one. I have also updated/ added a few things to the list I forgot:

Kick Stand

Skid Plate

Brushguards

Any Pics of those setups?

Thanks for the links. I saw those by using the search function earlier. Sweet bikes:thumbsup:

Spent some cash today! Made a Big order

Ordered:

2.4 Gal IMS Tank in black

Moose Skid Plate

Works Connection Radiator Guards

Acerbis Minicross Rally Guards in Black

Renthal Mini High Bend Bars

Steahly Offroad 10 oz Flywheel Weight

FMF Q Turbine Core 2 Silencer

One Industries Alpha Graphics and Seat Cover

Hope it is in in a week or two:thumbsup: I am getting excited. I am going to Fab the Kickstand myself and I would like to find a used headlight.

Oh, the wife also got a Fox girls chest protector and a tracker pro helmet. She is happy...

Sweet! I have a diminutive buddy that hauls on a CR 125. When we stop, he tips over. I have threatened to build him a street legal KX100 since he sold his big wheel 80. This may encourage him to spend the dough. And I like the KDX 100 moniker.

Have the suspension lowered. Palo Verde suspension out here in AZ has mail order service and they can take out as much as you want out of the fork and the rear is just a lowering link.

People do it for Super Motard bikes all the time.

I am pretty sure the KX 100 is the right size for her with out the lowering. Does anyone know somewhere I can get a stock looking tail light? Maybe a fender with a tailight?

Does anyone know somewhere I can get a stock looking tail light? Maybe a fender with a tailight?

Try one of the Baja Designs LED taillights, I have them on a couple of my dual sports and they are easy to install and the LED lights should use less of the weak power that the stator puts out.

Good idea to use an LED.

I just got a KLX400 Stock Headlight off ebay. That will be sweet on the KX100!

I like the DRZ/ KLX 400 taillgihts with the LEDs that come stock. I wonder if I could get one of those to mount up? I wonder if I could get one of those cheap. My bro has the DRZ. I will take some measurements next time he is over. Do you have to do anything special for the LEDs? Can you wire them to 12V?

I think the LED taillights may require DC current, I'm not positive on that. The stator puts out AC current so you would need a rectifier to change it to DC if the LEDs can't be run on AC.

LEDs will run on A/C - at least on my wife's CRF175 we put lights on. :applause:

i just did this on my sons bike , stealhy flywheel 10oz weight , fmf pipe and turbin core silencer, stealhy lighting coil, and steahly kick stand . the bike is way better and my son loves it , the next purchase is the bigger tank.

Im starting one for my son as well. Which kickstand did you get from steahly?

I didnt see one for the KX100.

I am going to build one. I don't like the swingarm bolt on ones. I will make a bracket and mig it to the frame.

OK, I just looked on steahlys website and thiers bolts on to the chain roller? Any pics of one? That might be cool enough to fork out the cash.