KDX 100 Project for the Wife

hey how hard was the paperwork to get it plated?

what tires you running? i got a pirreli mt out back and i get alot of wheel spin

The KX100 is the ultimate "tween" bike, just the right size when an 80 is too small and a 125 is too big. Mine has served duty for my daughter until she was too tall for it and will probably get another season with my son wringing it's neck. It's pretty rare that I can get three seasons on a kids bike, but a set of lowering links got him started early.

The KX100 is the ultimate "tween" bike, just the right size when an 80 is too small and a 125 is too big. Mine has served duty for my daughter until she was too tall for it and will probably get another season with my son wringing it's neck. It's pretty rare that I can get three seasons on a kids bike, but a set of lowering links got him started early.

and good woods bike too

what tires you running? i got a pirreli mt out back and i get alot of wheel spin

On the 2000 that she killed I was running the softest dunlops I could find with LOW psi. The 2002 she is ridding has the stock bridgestones on it and I can't bring myself to pull of a perfectly good set of tires! I need to put some softer ones on it though.

Colorado is pretty sweet for plates. Basically, if it is a 2002 or newer you have to have a "MSO" or a manufacterer's statement of origin. All bikes come with them when you buy them new. Older ones you don't need that, only a bill of sale that includes the words "sold as offroad only". Also bring a VIN verification to the DMV with you. Most bike shops will do them for free- just ask the service department politely! Go to the DMV and let them know you need to apply for a title and sign a "certificate of vehicle equipment compliance". Then you have to sign a piece of paper stating that it has a tail light, headlight, brakelight, horn, and rearward facing mirror. (Thats all the equipment it has to have). Bicycle honker horns work great! After I signed the horn and rearward facing mirror came off!

I have done quite a few bikes like this recently. The only issues I have ran into is mis-informed DMV people! Usually the conversation goes like- "That is not possible" then I say, "yes it is, I did it recently to my other bike. You should ask someone elses opinion". Then they leave and come back with a puzzled look on thier face and stumble through the process. I have found that I usually know more about the process then they do, and as long as I show them that they will be pretty cooperative. :snore:

Also, the big snag in doing this with dirt bikes comes when a dirt bike has already been titled and the title has been lost. To regain a title is nearly impossible. Surety bonds and a huge process come into play and it is pretty much impossible. :doh:

now i need to get older and get a license... that ill take awhile(1yr and 8 months till im 16)

my dad still needs to get his kdx plated

A little update on the KDX100:

My wife is ridding the wheels off of it and she really likes it. I think the best mod I did to it was finally gearing it down enough. The rear sproket is 6 teeth bigger and the front is one tooth smaller. That gave her some serious confidence and now she is able to motor through the technical stuff like a pro.

Stock gearing is 13-51 (on our 2002) are you saying that you are running 12-57?!?!

We just swapped over to 12-51 and it really helps on the steep stuff at altitude. I might try 12-53 next since we were running 13-53 before.

Yeah buddy. It does only around 45 kinda comfortably down the highway. It will top at 55 or so, but I wouldn't reccomend that for any long stretch. The nice part is that it really thumps on the trail. It is a 2002 too.

Here are some updates. We did a trail ride for our anniversary. We tried a trials tire on the rear. It worked well on the rocks, but not so well in the mud. We may run it for a while, but she said she would like a knobby next time. HEre are some pics:

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

It still really needs a steahly kick stand and maybe a trailtech computer. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Besides that, my bike is getting a new bottom end right now and I am waiting to swallow that bill!

Is the trials tire made by cheng chin? I was thinking about trying one of those because we really only ride in the rocks.

Let me know when you guys are ready to ride :ride:

It is the chen shin. It was cheap! The only one I could find in a 16. it is a 3.00 too. I wish it was about a 5.00. I think it would work a ton better.

We totally need to go riding! A friend is redoing the bottom end on my 426. I told him no hurry, so he will do it when he gets a chance. I really want to go now though. The season is almost over! I will let you know when my bike can play again!!!

Great build!

Question for Kirby: I'm looking for a first bike for my wife (who has never ridden.) How tall is your wife? I'm afraid at 5'8", the KX100 may be a little small for mine...

A KX 100 can be a difficult bike for someone who has never ridden, particularly if the terrain gets technical.

A KX 100 may well be a little small for your wife. My wife is shorter than yours, and she finds its rider compartment cramped. She has a good bit of experience, though, and she finds its power delivery a handful when things start going uphill in the rocks and roots and ruts.

You just can't beat the weight, though. Every time my wife thinks about buying a different bike, it always comes back to the weight.

MY wife is 5'4". I would think it would be smallish for her, and I would also echo on the non beginner bike idea. I would suggest a heavy, old technology (drum brakes, 4" of suspension, air cooled) playbike for her to get her started. Maybe a crf150f or a ttr125. Maybe even one of the 230s if she is strong enough (My wife started on a ttr225 and it was as heavy as my yz I think). The nice part of the playbikes is the easy power delivery and the electric start. Heck if my wife was 4" taller I would probably have her on a CRF250X or a KDX200.

Thanks for the advice. I would buy her an XR200R, but she really wants electric start. The reason I thought of the KX100 is a 2t is easier to kick over than a 4t, plus, its seat height is 3" taller than a CRF150 or TTR125LE. I'm worried about the weight of a CRF or TTR 230. What I'd really like to do is slap a Kouba link on my CRF250X, give it to her, and get a new bike, but she's scared of its size.

Thanks for the advice. I would buy her an XR200R, but she really wants electric start. The reason I thought of the KX100 is a 2t is easier to kick over than a 4t, plus, its seat height is 3" taller than a CRF150 or TTR125LE. I'm worried about the weight of a CRF or TTR 230. What I'd really like to do is slap a Kouba link on my CRF250X, give it to her, and get a new bike, but she's scared of its size.

My GF is 5' 3" and rides a KX100. To make it comfortable we put a Guts high seat, a BRP triple clamp that is higher as well as more forward, and a Renthal Mini bend #611 (custom longer Motion Pro cables are next on our list). This setup is now comfortable sitting and standing for her.

I'm 5' 9" and her bike is still too small for me. As mentioned above the power is not beginner friendly. Over the weekend she had a chance to ride a KDX200 with a Kouba link and it fit her really well (she has a short torso and longer legs). I would think a KDX with a Kouba would be a great choice as they seem to be slightly smaller at stock height than the "standard" moto size. Also the power is absolutely electric, there is no hit with the stock pipe/silencer. The motor feels very much like a four stroke, but rides lighter (not much lighter on the scale though).

The KDX is super easy to kick start too, she can't start my YZ250 2T but she started the KDX first kick every time.

MY wife is 5'4". I would think it would be smallish for her, and I would also echo on the non beginner bike idea. I would suggest a heavy, old technology (drum brakes, 4" of suspension, air cooled) playbike for her to get her started. Maybe a crf150f or a ttr125. Maybe even one of the 230s if she is strong enough (My wife started on a ttr225 and it was as heavy as my yz I think). The nice part of the playbikes is the easy power delivery and the electric start. Heck if my wife was 4" taller I would probably have her on a CRF250X or a KDX200.

Kirby, I'm the same height as your wife, but probably about 15-20 pounds more (125lbs):busted: (don't laugh, it's hard fat!!!:banana:) and I recently took over my husband's 02 ktm200. Aside from a 9oz fww and a non-2x4 seat, the bike is stock and I've been doing good with it. I've still got the Husky TE250, but at 260lbs, I'm more partial to the lighter weight of the 200, plus I just like 2 strokes. Anyway, your wife might fool you and be able to ride a bigger bike without any problems. I rode the wheels of my 100 for two seasons and it helped me improve a ton!

My GF is 5' 3" and rides a KX100. To make it comfortable we put a Guts high seat, a BRP triple clamp that is higher as well as more forward, and a Renthal Mini bend #611 (custom longer Motion Pro cables are next on our list). This setup is now comfortable sitting and standing for her.

I'm 5' 9" and her bike is still too small for me. As mentioned above the power is not beginner friendly. Over the weekend she had a chance to ride a KDX200 with a Kouba link and it fit her really well (she has a short torso and longer legs). I would think a KDX with a Kouba would be a great choice as they seem to be slightly smaller at stock height than the "standard" moto size. Also the power is absolutely electric, there is no hit with the stock pipe/silencer. The motor feels very much like a four stroke, but rides lighter (not much lighter on the scale though).

The KDX is super easy to kick start too, she can't start my YZ250 2T but she started the KDX first kick every time.

We did the guts tall racing seat, Fastway F3 pegs, Tag T2 Top & Bottom Triple Clamps and Moose high bend bars. Opened up the 100 a ton! Very comfortable to stand and as much distance between seat/peg as my full sized bikes. I also think the KDX200 is a great intermediary bike, very smooth and docile, a little on the heavy undersuspended side, but still a very nice bike.

001-3.jpg