Sign in to follow this  

06-07 yz250 suspension for dezert/woods/mx

any of youse guys running stock suspension offroad? i'm considering getting a new bike sometime soon if the right deal comes up and grabs me. what do you guys think of the suspension in stock form? fwiw, i race A's dezert and enduro, and prefer a firm ride that stays high in the stroke, but i do alot of low speed tight woods stuff too.

any great deals out there in the west?

I am puzzled by your question........Being an "A" rider, Regardless of what bike it is, shouldn't you already know what kind of set up works for you and where to have your suspension serviced?

If you like a firm ride then you'll love the stock boingers off road. At 200+ I'm taxing the stock springs and am not comfortable in the woods. At speed its better, but still not optimal for me.

My stuff is at the suspension guys place right now and I should have it back in a week. Can give a ride report if interested.

No deals out west. You should look to your East and make some calls.

I am puzzled by your question........Being an "A" rider, Regardless of what bike it is, shouldn't you already know what kind of set up works for you and where to have your suspension serviced?

i know what setup works for me on my ktm and on my husaberg. i don't know what setup would work for me on the yz250 that i don't yet own and have never ridden, but am considering purchasing. so i thought i might try to gather some more information on the yz suspension after sifting through several pages of threads. thanks for your assistance.

I'm 205 and needed the suspension redone for woods riding. Very bouncy, and wore me out fast in stock form. Now that it is redone I can ride all day.

I have never rode a bike stock that was worth a flip in the woods without suspension work. I have a KTM 200 EXC and I'm 160 lbs and stock not even close to be able to race. My 05 YZ 250 had 1 ride on the stock set up.

I have never rode a bike stock that was worth a flip in the woods without suspension work.

well, the reason i ask is that i briefly rode an 06 yz450f, and in dezert terrain (rocks, tight sand washes, whoops) it felt pretty good for an agressive rider. i didn't get it into realy gnarly low-speed stuff, but it was better than any stock bike i had been on. i tend to find traditional woods setups a bit soft for my riding style, even at 165 lbs.

I think you are asking too much of a suspension.

Desert, MX, and Offroad will all need very different set-ups to get them to work best.

Maybe I'm not picky with suspension but the stock YZ suspension works great offroad.

Have not had a chance to ride mine off road yet but...

At 200+ I find it to work very well on an MX track (all stock). Good bottoming resistance w/ a wide range of adjustability. The bike feels fairly tall and the rear (probably whole bike) does seem to ride hight in the range. My only complaint is that the small square edged stuff, like braking bumps, FEEL very square. I might have it setup wrong, but the stutters are what get me. As a comparison I've ridden an 04 CRF250 and 05 CRF450 on the same track and the braking bumps seems to all but go away.

Hope I shed a little light for ya!

Lots of guys I know with offroad YZ's use sub tanks on the front forks.

With them and the extra weight of a bigger gas tank they like the suspension.

Adjusting the clickers can make a big difference.

I think you are asking too much of a suspension.

Desert, MX, and Offroad will all need very different set-ups to get them to work best.

oh yeah, guess i should have mentioned i'll be taking it to the track at least once a week too.

i don't see too much diff in what works well for dezert and what works well for playing at the track (no supercross craziness, but 50' tables and stuff).

at any rate, sounds like it might be worth a try. i can always throw money at it later. thanks for the reports.

There are several AA riders in the RMEC that are using stock yz suspension with the clickers softened almost all the way out. I can't comment first hand because mine was re-valved before I ever rode it. I know everybody says that suspension can't be set up for moto and still be good off-road, but mine does both very well and the YZ will be far easier to set up than the KTM. Like most bikes, don't judge the suspension until about 7-10 hours of use when it has broken in.

I agree w/ the break in. Mine took a couple days at the moto track to loosen up. The first few days it was stiff as hell and kinda harsh. The seat also breaks in. That made a big difference in comfort.

I am just comming off a KTM (98250exc) and got a 05 yz to replace as my enduro mount. My KTM was suspended pretty good for the rocks the SoCal enduros thorw at it (50mm Zokes conventional) but turning was always a little vague.

Im a senior B rider, try to ride smooth as opposed to all out fast. I weigh 150, 172 ready to ride. The stock 05 suspension began to wear on me on the slow rocks especially at the 80 plus mile mark. Just running fast Dez felt pretty good, havent had it in the woods and wont before I pick up the reworked boingers tomorrow. I got the yz with really low hours (stock tires, sprockets and chain, but with bent bars) < $3500 in SoCal.

I'm not sure how big you are Velo.

I'm +/- 160lb w/out gear. I race enduros and finish top 5 in B with my yz250, which is basically an A pace here. Our enduros go from the Nevada desert to 1st gear singletrack in the forests. My '06 suspension stock was good, but not great. I tried playing with clickers, but never found a great setting. When it was time for a rebuild, I sent it to Factory Connection for a revalve to A enduro/HS, with hard pack, intermediate, rocks, roots terrain. They kept the stock springs, only changing out the fork pressure springs to softer units, 1.7kg I think and putting in their shock HS comp. spring. The fork settings are 330cc oil, Comp. 12, R. 9. Shock comp. 12, R. 11, H.S. comp. 1-1/4 out. After break in, this thing is now a magic carpet. It turns, it jumps w/out bottoming, it soaks up rocks/roots/braking bumps. I didn't know suspension could be this good.

Overall, my '07 250F's stock suspension was *almost* as good after break in. Stock fork settings (nothing I clicked really helped anything without making something else worse), shock H.S. comp. at 1-1/4 out, comp. 9, R. 13. It pushes through berms sometimes, it bottoms out sometimes, and I get more feedback than I'd like from rocks/roots/braking bumps. It's getting clapped out and about time for a rebuild, I'm sending it to FC today for a revalve. Using the 250F for CC racing, it's a bit faster paced than the enduros so I'll likely end up with a stiffer set up than the 250 2T.

My advice to you if you're around my size, see if your dealer will swap 250F suspension onto a 250 2T chassis for you. That'll provide you with a good ride until time for a rebuild, then it's just a few more quid for the whole revalve shebang.