Toyota Tacoma

well guys and gals its time for a new pickup and the extended cab tacoma with a V-6 tops my list(TRD of course). i currenty have a GMC sierra 1500 and i am not happy with it. for the Taco owners on here, i have owned 2 already a 96, and a 97, the 97 had 9" lift, 4.88's, ARB air lockers, warn 10k winch, onbaord air to name a few.

should i go to the stealership? what options are a must? any and all opions are welcome!

They don't depreciate much so you're not really going to get *that* much of a better deal than you would if you buy new. However, if you decide not to get the TRD package, you can save yourself a BUNDLE. I've looked at used 99-03s and there's a big, big price difference. As little as I'd probably use it, I'm not sure the locker is really worth that much difference. But if you're going to wheel it, then yeah go for the TRD ... for me, pickups are for bike hauling and my Jeep is for wheeling. once you go short wheelbase you can't go back :thumbsup:

Yea, trd pretty much wont be used unless you go fourwheeling, and you definitely want a long bed if your gonna haul your bikes in the back. I got a Nissan pickup thats a shortbed and I cant close my tailgate, which makes it a pain in the ass if you wanna haul a cooler or something else out too.

anyone have MPG stats? the 'net is saying 17 city 20 hwy....what are you getting?

yea, thats pretty much right on what my buddy gets... he has an 06 Taco

You want mileage, get the 4 banger. They're up to what 25 or so? I got 22 mpg out of my 93 22RE.

Yea, my 4 banger nissan gets 30-35 on the highway

I have a 2000 Tacoma prerunner TRD 6cyl. (2WD on a 4WD frame and body). I'm the original owner. I hit 169,000 miles today. I sometimes overpull 7,000 lbs with it still. It's seven years old and gets 17 city/20Hwy. Zero issues to date. Just change fluids as needed. My opinion is that if you plan on only keeping it a few years, go with what ever truck is the best value. But if you plan on keeping it 4 years or more, go with the Toyota. They seem to wear less than the GM or Ford trucks and definately hold their value. I paid $20,500 + tax in 2000 and it still goes for about $10,500 at a used dealer today. Also, pay attention to the stock tires you're getting. My Toyota stock Goodyears got me 88,000 miles. My expensive Pirelli's on my $42,000 Volvo got me 27,000 miles and were wore out. Good tires could add up to a $500 savings value in the long run. Good luck.:thumbsup:

OK. as far as stealerships go I have two things to say..1) Do you have AAA?? or 2) Do you have costco?? Both of these options will give you just over invoice, through the Fleet Manager. If you have AAA ask for and show your card to the FM. If you have costco, ask costco what dealership they deal with and the FM's name. This is the best way to pick out a new one. Just for pointers, I have 2 06 tacos wife and mine, 1 quad cab pre-runner 4dr LB TRD Sport and tow package 25,700.00 OTD purchased April 06 18mpg city (wifes) and 1 4X4 4dr LB TRD Sport and tow package 31,000.00 OTD purchased 0ct 05 17mpg city (mine) Both with alarms and both of them through the FM.. If you see, I got them for sticker (but OTD). I love the way this truck rides (both) ride like a car but 100% truck. I have had toyotas for over 20 years. GOOD SAFE TRUCKS ALSO...:thumbsup:

anyone have MPG stats? the 'net is saying 17 city 20 hwy....what are you getting?

Mine is a 98, bought new V6, 4WD, 4.10:1 axle, 5 spd, I get 23 MPG freeway, about 18.5 in town. I drive like a grandpa too, but I do speed limits and a smidge above. Only has 56K on it now, sets in the garage most of the time. The newer modesl, ie 2005 and > will have the larger 4.0 V6.

Yea, trd pretty much wont be used unless you go fourwheeling.

Not true. Toyota offers 2 TRD packages. One is the traditional TRD Off-Road Package that gets you the locker and they also offer a TRD Sport Package which gets you a limited-slip rear diff.

The TRD Sport is designed more for on-pavement driving whereas the TRD Off-Road is just what the name says.

If you get a 4x4 or PreRunner, you will only get about 20 mpg highway regardless of whether you get 4-banger or the V6. Even with a 4x2 regular cab non-PreRunner the best you will see is 25-27 mpg. The Tacoma is not a small truck and even the 4-banger puts out 160 hp, so you arent going to see the 30 mpg rating that will see with some other small trucks.

If you want the best milage with the V6, get one with an automatic tranny. Not sure why, but everyone on Toyota Nation that has a Tacoma with an auto tranny gets better fuel economy than those who have stickshift Tacomas.

They don't depreciate much so you're not really going to get *that* much of a better deal than you would if you buy new. However, if you decide not to get the TRD package, you can save yourself a BUNDLE. I've looked at used 99-03s and there's a big, big price difference. As little as I'd probably use it, I'm not sure the locker is really worth that much difference. But if you're going to wheel it, then yeah go for the TRD ... for me, pickups are for bike hauling and my Jeep is for wheeling. once you go short wheelbase you can't go back :applause:

I have a 2000 Tacoma extra cab with the TRD package. Once you have an locker you can turn on and off you will know value of one. I don't use it much, but when I do use it, I would have been calling a tow truck without it. The limited slip is only on the newer (2005 and up) Tacomas. I've had short wheelbase (1985 CJ7) and would never go back. It really only gives you good break over angle and turning radius. Two things you don't really need on rocky trails or in the snow. Long wheelbase (and a locker) is key in Moab. Jeep even figured out they need a longer wheelbase Wrangler if they wanted to continue to sell it to the four wheeling community. There XJ has been a better (and a lot cheaper) rig to build for a long time now. 2004 Crew Cab TRD with an automatic is the best of all worlds.

I have a 2000 Tacoma extra cab with the TRD package. Once you have an locker you can turn on and off you will know value of one. I don't use it much, but when I do use it, I would have been calling a tow truck without it. The limited slip is only on the newer (2005 and up) Tacomas. I've had short wheelbase (1985 CJ7) and would never go back. It really only gives you good break over angle and turning radius. Two things you don't really need on rocky trails or in the snow. Long wheelbase (and a locker) is key in Moab. Jeep even figured out they need a longer wheelbase Wrangler if they wanted to continue to sell it to the four wheeling community. There XJ has been a better (and a lot cheaper) rig to build for a long time now. 2004 Crew Cab TRD with an automatic is the best of all worlds.

I dunno, I walked over a LOT of guys in XJs and unlimited TJs in moab. I will stick with SWB. I don't wheel my tow rig/bike hauler, just the Jeep.

The longer wheelbase is just there as a very very good marketing technique to reel in some of those going to H3s and FJ Cruisers. The family 4x4, ya know. Have yet to see more than 1 on the trails, and doubt we'll see many more than we do H3s out there.

and NO AUTOMATICS! hate em.

I dunno, I walked over a LOT of guys in XJs and unlimited TJs in moab. I will stick with SWB. I don't wheel my tow rig/bike hauler, just the Jeep.

The longer wheelbase is just there as a very very good marketing technique to reel in some of those going to H3s and FJ Cruisers. The family 4x4, ya know. Have yet to see more than 1 on the trails, and doubt we'll see many more than we do H3s out there.

and NO AUTOMATICS! hate em.

Jeep is adapting to what the market wants. Versatility and stability are what people want right now. I built, wheeled and sold a 1985 extra cab Toyota. I spent a way too much time waiting for stuck and broken Jeeps to clear the trail. I can't remember once were my wheelbase was a problem. YJ and TJ drivers were quick to point this out. Trails everywhere are have evolved from use and the SWB isn't the rig to have now. The CJ5 in gone for a reason. If you must have SWB you'd be better off with a Samaria or a Tracker with less weight and could take advantage of the narrower track. The new Toyota V6 (3.4 and up) are so good, there is no reason to have to shift yourself. Four wheeling in popular trails in Colorado is even more of a fashion show than the motocross track. I loved my CJ7, but it was better suited bar hopping where it could be seen and a tow truck was available.

eh, well, you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you. I like my wheelin rigs SWB and leaf sprung, and miss my IFS Yota as a bike hauler, but I wouldn't be taking it to moab if i still had it. To each her own.

I'm not trying to convince you. The original poster asked about the Tacoma and what people thought about options. I feel like the TRD package is must have for someone (original poster) who has already had a rig with ARB lockers. You sold your pick up and I assume haul with your Jeep and know how much it just isn't cut out for it. A Tacoma TRD wheels, hauls and tows well stock.

Your rig has you buy your wallet, excuse me, your purse strings. It won't let go until you let it go. Wheel a little bit longer and you'll get the "extend the wheelbase" bug. Sell that thing, buy a '99 standard cab Tacoma 4 banger, lift it an inch and a half, and throw in a Lockrite. It will wheel better, carry two dirt bikes, go faster, be more dependable, and you may break even from selling the Jeep. You could even call it SWB and never admit that you were wrong.

Didn't the Wrangler go to front coils?

NO AUTOMATICS

I thought I was the only one who drove a manual 4wd! No one else around here has one.

I'm not trying to convince you. The original poster asked about the Tacoma and what people thought about options. I feel like the TRD package is must have for someone (original poster) who has already had a rig with ARB lockers. You sold your pick up and I assume haul with your Jeep and know how much it just isn't cut out for it. A Tacoma TRD wheels, hauls and tows well stock.

Your rig has you buy your wallet, excuse me, your purse strings. It won't let go until you let it go. Wheel a little bit longer and you'll get the "extend the wheelbase" bug. Sell that thing, buy a '99 standard cab Tacoma 4 banger, lift it an inch and a half, and throw in a Lockrite. It will wheel better, carry two dirt bikes, go faster, be more dependable, and you may break even from selling the Jeep. You could even call it SWB and never admit that you were wrong.

Didn't the Wrangler go to front coils?

They did, but I won't. Too much $$. Jeeps aren't my first toy, dirt bikes come first to me and we're planning on adding a second snowmobile this year, so the Jeep is going to stop for a while. Actually I prefer to keep it short/small since I'd rather wheel in the trees than rock crawl. Admittedly the trails here in CO are wider than in WA, but it's still staying mostly Jeep for quite a while. Got one or two more things on my list for this year but nothing big. we're trying to buy a house if we can find one ...

I thought I was the only one who drove a manual 4wd! No one else around here has one.

no way man, i like to shift. Our group is pretty 50/50. most of the SWB guys have sticks, most of the XJs are auto.

I just recently bought a 07 tacoma x runner. Its a 6 cyl 6 speed 2wd, something like the srunner they did a few years back. Gets pretty good gas mileage (16-21). I had a dodge dakota before but ill never go back.

Our new 07 TRD Taco.

tacoma_007.jpg