Sign in to follow this  

05 450x engine seized?

friend of mine has got half way home tonight,engine misfired,started to stall,pulled in clutch,engine stopped.pulled over,tried to start on button,no go.tried kick start....solid.oh oh?i picked him up with trailer,got bike home,tried again...it started!plenty of oil in engine n gearbox,coolant level ok:confused: any suggestions appreciated.he only got bike 3 weeks ago,used from a honda dealership:eek: so unsure of warranty at moment.:thumbsup:

Oh man... I thought you were going to say the kickstarter still wouldn't move... when that happened to me, it was a crank gone bad.

... there was another thread on this not too long ago, really long... about a crash, a problem, and the bike all apart (to see why it locked up). From Cam, timing chain, compression lever... Look through the threads and maybe it would help... cuz I sure am not any! ...(I'll look for that thread too in the meantime).

:thumbsup:

Mine did that a few weeks ago. I found out eventually that it was a bad aftermarket fuel tank vent. It was weird, I removed the gas cap, put it back on, bike restarted, pinned it down the trail for about 1 minute then same thing. Eventually I figured out it was the fuel vent, duh, that's what I get for buying a cheapo off ebay. I hope your friends problem is a easy and cheap fix.

pretty funny how your first post is about a 450x failure. I call BS

Guaranteed Operator error

That happened to me exactly like you describe when a ground wire came loose. The kick wouldn't kick probably because the automatic decompressor was engaged when the starter turned or almost turned. The return spring on the decompressor is pretty weak....Even notice a "whack!" sound after the engine starts? I'll bet if you check all your wires you'll find a loose one....Similar problems also with plugged tank vent but if the cap is unscrewed it fixes it for awhile. HTH....good luck!

many thanks for replies:applause: that earth wire could be a possibility,hes had trouble with lights recently,working/not/staying on.ill post results of stripdown:cry:

many thanks for replies:applause: that earth wire could be a possibility,hes had trouble with lights recently,working/not/staying on.ill post results of stripdown:cry:

I've had a couple of experiences I thought were catastrophic failure....like flipped piston, swallowed valve, etc. Turned out to be something really basic. Good luck!

thanks for the positive replies, the post was made on my behalf, i havent had a great deal of time to investigate but i have tried to start the bike , sadly its locked solid :applause:

i will persue the dealership this week in an attempt to solve the problem if im outa luck you'll be hearing a lot more from me as i attempt to put it right

Chin up thou, i still got my 250X :excuseme:

Skoot22- thanks for your contribution!

thanks for the positive replies, the post was made on my behalf, i havent had a great deal of time to investigate but i have tried to start the bike , sadly its locked solid :applause:

i will persue the dealership this week in an attempt to solve the problem if im outa luck you'll be hearing a lot more from me as i attempt to put it right

Chin up thou, i still got my 250X :excuseme:

Skoot22- thanks for your contribution!

It is just kind of weird all these new guys come on here from god knows where and post negative things about the 450X. Your buddy is not the first. It's just a little fishy when someone comes on and says i know this guy whose bike did this and that and it is his first post ever.

Sorry if i misjudged the whole situation. Hope you figure out whats up with your bike.

A few questions.

Were you running the full quart in the bike or was it the same oil that was in it when you got it from the dealer? What speed did this happen at? Was it on the street or a long stretch of road where you had it pinned for a while with an insufficient amount of oil in it, (less than a full quart)? I know the manual says .74qt but thats not enough. Just curious what some of the factors are leading up to the failure.

Thanks ~ Scott

Any updates on what happened here? I was under the impression from the original post the motor stopped acting like it froze-up but still able to turn over?

reluctant to do anything to bike yet,see if dealer will sort it first,hes only had it 3 weeks,n only ridden it a couple of times:foul: thanks for all replies,and,yes it was my first posting,but as my 450x has never let me down,and questions can usually be answered by reading past posts,ive had no need to post bs:excuseme:

QUOTE "It is just kind of weird all these new guys come on here from god knows where and post negative things about the 450X. Your buddy is not the first. It's just a little fishy when someone comes on and says i know this guy whose bike did this and that and it is his first post ever." END QUOTE by skoot22.

I've noticed that too and I've only been a member here for less than a month. Maybe Yamaha and KTM riders trying to stir up trouble?:applause::excuseme: (yea you know who you are!):p :p

i love the crf, i have a 250x which is great and never let me down in the 12 mths ive owned, so i opted for the 450 for the extra grunt but sadly its failed :applause:

The bike was as it came from the dealer, and as they sold it to me with a duff battery and the kill switch missing i can only assume oil levels would have been as per the manual,

I checked the bike quickly yesterday and its locked solid :excuseme:

assumption, the mother of all F*** Up's

Oil should have been the first thing changed before you even rode it. I don't trust anyone with something like that. Good luck i hope you get this compensated from the dealer. You got the Warranty right!

The first thing you should do with a new bike (or used) is go through the manual and check EVERYTHING that you can. Check all fluids, even change all of the fluids so that you know exactly what is in there. Reset all suspension settings to stock, check carb settings, etc. I have heard too many stories of people finding odd things on a brand new bike.

I pretty much tore my brand new 450X down the evening I brought it home.

Rob

Yep my brand new out of the box bike low on oil from the dealer, and as a matter of fact before it was started for me at the dealership I kicked the guy off of the bike and checked it. I'm sure someone got reamed over that one.

and I was so pissed about the oil I didnt check the fuel. Part of the selling point was a full tank. Well I got it home to find less than 1/4 tank.

OK....450X trivia question:

How many cc's of oil must be added to bring the level up from the bottom line on the dipstick to the top line? Stupid question?