Sign in to follow this  

Pinch Flats?

hey guys a went out riding yesterday and the day before and had to replace my tube 4 times. because i got a pinch flat:cry: ? it sucked!! wat kind if tubes do u guys use and also what kind of air pressure? also anything else that help me from getting these again!:applause:

P.S the terrain was extremely rocky!!

Use thick extreme tubs. Also, if you are doing the work yourself, make sure you are doing it correctly. Lastly, rocky conditions I always lower my pressure. The blunt force of a sharp or pointy rock will cause pinch flats left and right...

ok because the person i was riding with had me running my bike at 25lbs. it sounded bad to me but he has been rindind alot longer then me so i listented. but thank you guys.

also i took the rim up to the shop and had then put on the heavyest tube they had. also with this heavy tube in should i still run low pressure?

P.S the weird thing is.. the guy i was with had even more pressure in his tires and he didnt get 1 flat the whole time? :applause:

4 flats in one ride still seems like a lot in one ride. It almost makes me wonder if its something different like a spoke poking a hole in the tube or maybe getting it pinched in the rim lock. When I used to ride real rocky stuff I would use MSR super Heavy Duty tubes at 15lbs of pressure in front and rear.

I agree with prior post, seems like a lot of flats. Take the tire off and inspect the rim liner carefully before your next ride.

Also, riding style has a lot to do with it. The weight of your bike and the rider make a difference as well. If your a heavier rider, you may need to run a higher tire pressure than a lighter rider would. Carry a hand pump with you on trail rides and if you feel the tire compress on the terrain, stop add a little pressure. Its that spongy feel you need to avoid on rocks. Also, unweight the bike a little over big nasty rocks, it will soften the blow and minimize the tire compression that could cause a pinch. Also, remember to lower that pressure when your not on that rocky stuff.

well guys i took the tire off and i did not find any spokes that would poke the tube? how could the rim lock do that? also i am 150 with gear on and i ride a 125. so in your opion what is the ideal pressure. i am goin back up to the place next week. thank you all so far :applause:

check the top of the rim lock for wear. if you can see the metal base then i would replace it, this will cause a flat in a hurry. by the top i mean the suface that touches the tube. i run 13-15 psi depending on the terrain im riding and don't shy away from bashing rocks if they're in the way and have never had a pinch flat. michelin s-12's and the ultra duty tubes

The woods I ride are typically near the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. To characterise these trails as rocky would be an understatement. I get the best "hook-up" from my Michelin's at 8-10 psi rear, and 9-11 front. In my nine years of riding this terrain on my CR250, I've had just one pinch flat, and no disabling damage to my rims. And I'm not one who prefers to take things slow and easy...that's too tough on the bod....

A lot of times people will get the tube stuck under the rim lock when they tighten it down. I used to see this happen all the time when I worked at a motorcycle shop. The bibs hold up fairly well but are really expensive and are a real pain in the butt to put in a wheel. A good ultra heavy duty tube, clean rim, and nice tire is all you should need.

A lot of times people will get the tube stuck under the rim lock when they tighten it down. I used to see this happen all the time when I worked at a motorcycle shop.

Makes sense to me. I've always left the rimlock loose when I overinflate to set the bead and then tighten it while the tube is full. So far, so good.