Anyone else tow with a 2007 Silverado 5.3???

I just got done towing my toy hauler to Vegas and let me tell you that it was not fun towing up the big grades. My toy hauler is 5500 pounds dry and thats how I was towing it. The trans was getting hot and the rpm's were at 4500 to keep up at 55 to 65 mph. Flat straights were not a problem but I now wish I would have got the 2500. Anyone have any solutions???

Truck 2007 Silverado 4x4 5.3, 3.73 Rear end.

Is that with the towing package which has the tranny cooler?

Good question, I'll go check. I'm pretty sure it has it though.

It has the HD Trailering Equipment. Don't know if that is included though.

Dad bought a 07 1500 and a 24" TT just before leaving for australia... he only drove the truck 50 miles or so and hasnt picked up the camper yet. His trailer weighs pretty close to what yours does, I'm curious to see how it does when he gets back. His trucks a 2wd.

BTW... 55mph on "big grades" is kinda silly... the truck should handle the wieght no problem, but no reason to be driving that fast on grades.

Dad bought a 07 1500 and a 24" TT just before leaving for australia... he only drove the truck 50 miles or so and hasnt picked up the camper yet. His trailer weighs pretty close to what yours does, I'm curious to see how it does when he gets back. His trucks a 2wd.

BTW... 55mph on "big grades" is kinda silly... the truck should handle the wieght no problem, but no reason to be driving that fast on grades.

Well 55 was the speed limit and you have to be going that fast other wise people are going to run you off the road.

I think the big problem is wind drag. My hauler is pretty tall and I think that made it a lot harder on the truck.

40 or 45 is the minimum on the interstate... and many grades have minimums under that.

If you think wind drag is your problem, consider getting a airshield or wing for the top of your truck, or a nose cone for the trailer.

I just got done towing my toy hauler to Vegas and let me tell you that it was not fun towing up the big grades. My toy hauler is 5500 pounds dry and thats how I was towing it. The trans was getting hot and the rpm's were at 4500 to keep up at 55 to 65 mph. Flat straights were not a problem but I now wish I would have got the 2500. Anyone have any solutions???

IMO, your solutions are:

1: trade that truck in and get a diesel

or

2: put a Radix supercharger on your truck.

You are far better off with option 1 in my opinion just because of the transmission.

The 5.3 will get the job done but not quite as well as a diesel.

Have an 06 GMC crewcab, 4X2, 1500, 5.3L, running 3.23 gears. Have a model 23 toyhauler about 27 feet long, 8,000 lbs plus going down the road. Sure the truck sucks towing, I leave it 3rd gear going down the road and it sees redline whenever needed. Mileage is 9.5 towing 60-72 mph, but truck gets over 20 mph every tank commuting to work. Towing is only about 3% of the trucks usage so I live with it. I tell the family if we used the toyhauler more than 6 times a year I would have no problem upgrading. I put 30k on a year and get a new truck every 3 years, get the 25K bench seat SLE model and be done with it.

That's pretty much why I decided to go with the new body style Chevy Silverado with the VortecMax package.

Has the 6L engine,4.10 gears,heavy duty tranny and rear end.

Have not pulled much with it yet but don't expect any problems with my 5000# dry travel trailer.

40 or 45 is the minimum on the interstate... and many grades have minimums under that.

I dont think you have ever driven to Vegas from California

I dont think you have ever driven to Vegas from California

I've driven just about every road in this country at one time or another. Just because theres alot of morons out there towing heavy loads at high speeds through the mountains doesnt make it smart. Most of those guys end up in the ditch wondering why their new trailer is tied in a knot around their truck.

I've driven just about every road in this country at one time or another. Just because theres alot of morons out there towing heavy loads at high speeds through the mountains doesnt make it smart. Most of those guys end up in the ditch wondering why their new trailer is tied in a knot around their truck.

Yea, but this is straight desert road. 18 wheelers are going 70.

Or they wind up like the fellow who totaled his PU and trailer last night just north of Austin TX-he was going way too fast (75-80) for traffic's speed (workzone-45), and he had to head for the ditch since he was unable to see a 13'6" tall, 8'6" wide trailer with it's flashers going, at the tail end of the traffic snarl.:applause:

Speed while towing (especially by the inexperienced, or near capacity), in any terrain, is an accident waiting to happen.

The grades between the I10-I15 junction all the way to Vegas are not only steep and long, but the temps get severe, and the wind currents are erratic through that area.

Now factor in the 55mph towing speed limit in CA, and the remember: that guy that could barely pull the hill that you blew by like he was on blocks, most likely can't stop on the downhill either (weight and momentum win every time).

I let the idiots try to play "chicken" with me while in CA-I just drive 58, all over, and let the 'tards do their thing.

Yea, but this is straight desert road. 18 wheelers are going 70.

Some do, but they are the one's who don't have a license before long-the "Barstow Boys" are always looking for those guys. Can't forget that there is always a trooper or two who hide in the "brake check area" going northbound near the state line.

The vast majority of the professional drivers are keeping it under 60 mph out there-tickets tend to lead to a livelihood of burger flippin'.

Did you have the transmission in tow/haul mode? Two trucks back I had a 2004 Silverado 1500 with 5.3 in it. It was a Ext Cab and 4 wheel drive. I pulled my 30' trailer with it with very limited problems. Loaded we where approx 5800lbs plus 3 people and maybe 400 lbs in gear. We don't have the heat theat you can encounter in your area typically and I would probably be riding around here if we did. If you trailer is 5500 plus gear, plus passengers plus toys??, plus heat, then that is a lot for that gearing and motor set up.

When you figure what you can haul don't forget about passengers, payload in the truck and whatever is the trailer. When I would haul 3 sleds in my trailer they would be 480lbs each, but when fueled and all of gear that same setup would total 630 lbs each.

Last thing to think about, how much water do you have in your toy hauler, if it is a camper unit you will have fresh and waste water. Water weighs 8lbs a gallon (approx). It can add up fast.

My toy hauler is 5500 pounds dry and thats how I was towing it.

Do you mean the advertised weight was 5500 lbs? Because if so, add about 500 lbs to that...

The Baker grade is no joke for a 1/2 ton pulling a TH...Sure would be nice if Chevy slipped in an extra gear between

2nd & 3rd, wouldn't it?....

Sure would be nice if Chevy slipped in an extra gear between

2nd & 3rd, wouldn't it?....

soon :applause:

The vast majority of the professional drivers are keeping it under 60 mph out there-tickets tend to lead to a livelihood of burger flippin'.

I like that:busted:

What do you guys think about a 07' 5.7 Hemi Quad cab 4x2 (392 rear?) hauling a 5500lb (dry) Toy Hauler? I am currently shopping trucks and have a $25,000 - $28,000 budget.