hard start after riding Help!!!

OK guys,,My 87 600 r will start on th second or third kick every time when it is cold. If I ride it for a while and shut it down to talk to someone, it is a bitch to get it started again...sometimes I just wait about 10 minutes and it fires right up,, What gives... I pulled the plug it was old and put in a new stock plug,(Looked normal), did not get a chance to ride and check it....My Decomp is adjusted correctly, ( I even loosened it up a bit just in case). Valves are not tight.

This seems to be a common problem. My bike does the same thing. It will re-start, but it is much harder to do once it is warm/hot.

Just my $0.02. My brother replaced his stator with a "Rickey Stator" unit. Cured most of the problem for him.

This is the typical symptom of a bad stator. This is exactly how mine behaved. I rewound it and it's all better now.

How much trouble is it to rewind stator/ and or replace????

How much trouble is it to rewind stator/ and or replace????

If your handy, you could do a search and find a post on how to rewind your stator for about $30. Ship your stator to Baja Designs and they will rewind your stator for about $150, turn around time about a week I believe. Or, buy a new one from Rickey Stator for around $200 or so, shipped out usually the same day they say. Good Luck...:applause:

I put on a new Ricky Stator on my 87 600r and it starts much easier. I think it was around $130 plus a few bucks freight. It made a difference. It only comes in the high power and you need nothing extra to hook it up. The thing I learned from somebody here on TT was to lean the bike over on it's right side on something apx 1-1/2' tall to keep the oil on the other side of the case. Also make sure you get a new gasket before you start. I think I paid $12.00. Without running the high power lines I still have a very bright 55w headlight at idle. Now I just need a 3rd gear.

OK guys,,My 87 600 r will start on th second or third kick every time when it is cold. If I ride it for a while and shut it down to talk to someone, it is a bitch to get it started again...sometimes I just wait about 10 minutes and it fires right up,, What gives... I pulled the plug it was old and put in a new stock plug,(Looked normal), did not get a chance to ride and check it....My Decomp is adjusted correctly, ( I even loosened it up a bit just in case). Valves are not tight.

perhaps the bike is too rich. check your pilot screw's adjustment. :applause:

It sounds like your exciter coil is going bad. The pre-91 models had a problem with that. When its cold it starts fine, but when its warm it is a bitch to start.

It will probably just get worse until it stops all together. I would suggest buying a new stator from Ricky or Honda because Baja D only rewinds lighting coils not exciter coils.

My 86 XR600R was that way since the day I bought it new, the best I could do was try different idle settings and low speed mixture settings. Each ride I would make a small adjustment till I found the happy spot then it wasn't bad as long as I didn't give it a half hearted kick when hot. You might try asking someone who has the early model what the best spark plug is since there are better plugs out now a days. As others have mentioned weak spark is a contributing factor so a good irridium or better plug can't hurt.

What is the 'It sounds like your exciter coil is going bad. The pre-91 models had a problem with that. When its cold it starts fine, but when its warm it is a bitch to start.

Is the the same as my stator?????????