Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Is Steve Whitelock is an idiot yes on no?

Is Steve Whitelock is an idiot yes on no?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is Steve Whitelock is an idiot yes on no?

• Yes
    • NO

here is a link to an MXA article that is very relevant to this thread. they say the blame lies with the track builders. very interesting.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=10D1F413F2F84D2C8FC4FB4111D0794B

Nice find! :applause:

“It is easy for the AMA to say that the bikes are too fast, but in truth the real blame for the short lap times (and any resulting injuries that are speed related) rest solely on the AMA’s shoulders. The AMA’s idea that there was such a thing as “a four-stroke track” is what has changed the face of Supercross. They need to find better track designers and builders than they currently have (proven by what happened when the Live Nation Supercross track builders ruined Daytona this year). Build real, true-to-life, Supercross tracks and the speeds will come down...and the lap times will go back where they belong.”

I agree with this to a point, except that the argument is inherently flawed as it is circular. Sure, we can blame it on the track builders, but as the quote points out, the tracks are built that way to accommodate the 4 strokes – which is what the AMA and the manufacturers decided it was time for us all to buy, so that they could double their money. It was short sighted though, as everyone opposed to the “four stroke revolution” pointed out. The increase in initial cost, repair cost, parts, the noise and overall increased barrier to entry will hurt the sport. A few years later the FIM and AMA see dwindling numbers of new riders entering the sport, dwindling attendance and tracks closing down and they realize they blew it. Now they have to fix it.

It's bad b/c it renders our current bikes totally useless and I can't afford to buy another bike. The one I have will be worth nothing and all the money invested in it will be lost. If I couldn't race my 450 , then I wouldn't be able to race at all, and that sucks.

Well, that’s what happens when the market isn’t allowed to dictate and arbitrary indicators are believed. The four strokes popularity is based around rules that give them the advantage, and that can only force the market for so long. Glad I’m not a band-wagon type of guy. Of course, I was never in the spot you were, as the AMA couldn’t force my buying decision – I don’t race a class where it really matters.

YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!! He and everyone else who thinks he answer to this "problem" is to have a smaller bike. What was the excuse when JBS was lapping everyone on 250f's when he was wringing out his tiddler???? He just plain pins it and no one else has the ball$ to do that!!! It's that simple. We are talking about the best riders in the world here people!!! RV pins it and he will probably be the heir to Stewart's throne. Are they gonna change bikes again to try and suit the riders losing to him??? They need to get away from the NASCAR mold of trying to level everything. NASCAR sucks!!! You want a level playing field Steve Whitelock??? Force the promoter to give back money to the riders so they can all ride the same caliber bike!!! Then see how level it will be. Put Nick Wey on JBS bike and with a little seat time and some tweaking, I bet his lap times improve.....

I agree also with that.

I agree with this to a point, except that the argument is inherently flawed as it is circular. Sure, we can blame it on the track builders, but as the quote points out, the tracks are built that way to accommodate the 4 strokes – which is what the AMA and the manufacturers decided it was time for us all to buy, so that they could double their money. It was short sighted though, as everyone opposed to the “four stroke revolution” pointed out. The increase in initial cost, repair cost, parts, the noise and overall increased barrier to entry will hurt the sport. A few years later the FIM and AMA see dwindling numbers of new riders entering the sport, dwindling attendance and tracks closing down and they realize they blew it. Now they have to fix it.

Exactly........ Whether they lower the 4strk displacment or raise the 2strk, in the end the public is going to dictate what the manufactures build. I do wonder though what the top guys choose to ride in the future.

yeah, i guess the ultimate effect of the 4-stroke revolution will probably be that motocross is turned into yet another rich man's sport that the average guy can't even afford to get his family involved in.

it kinda flows over into another beef of mine with the sport and how we're all supposedly always striving for more mainstream this and mainstream that and more popularity and all that crap. i honestly couldn't care less if motocross just stayed nice and humble and simple and fun. mainstream coverage and acceptance is only good for the big rich racing teams and corporations who feed off of the popularity of motocross, but for the local racer and enthusists i think it's nothing but a destructive force to the fabric of the sport. everything is getting more expensive, including the bikes and even practice fees. the tracks and trails are increasilngly clogged with posers and glamour girls. just like in basketball, the salaries of pro riders is skyrocketing, and so is their rockstar attitudes and all the gayness that comes along with all that. and yet whenever i read magazines these editors are constantly reinforcing how we are so lucky to be going mainstream and getting more mainstream acceptance all the time. i say bullshit.

imagine the talent we will never get to see because only the rich kids get to start racing.

woah.. sorry, did that have anything to do with this discussion? my bad :applause:

yeah, i guess the ultimate effect of the 4-stroke revolution will probably be that motocross is turned into yet another rich man's sport that the average guy can't even afford to get his family involved in.

it kinda flows over into another beef of mine with the sport and how we're all supposedly always striving for more mainstream this and mainstream that and more popularity and all that crap. i honestly couldn't care less if motocross just stayed nice and humble and simple and fun. mainstream coverage and acceptance is only good for the big rich racing teams and corporations who feed off of the popularity of motocross, but for the local racer and enthusists i think it's nothing but a destructive force to the fabric of the sport. everything is getting more expensive, including the bikes and even practice fees. the tracks and trails are increasilngly clogged with posers and glamour girls. just like in basketball, the salaries of pro riders is skyrocketing, and so is their rockstar attitudes and all the gayness that comes along with all that. and yet whenever i read magazines these editors are constantly reinforcing how we are so lucky to be going mainstream and getting more mainstream acceptance all the time. i say bullshit.

imagine the talent we will never get to see because only the rich kids get to start racing.

woah.. sorry, did that have anything to do with this discussion? my bad :applause:

I totally agree with that statement. I think we would have all been better off if this sport had stayed a little more underground. Just like I am getting priced out of the area I live in, I will be priced out of the sport I love so dearly...

While almost all of the conversation lately has been on the 450 vs 350cc displacements, I still think that one of the biggest causes of dwindling participation in MX is the 250Fs being given too much displacement that just eliminates the 125cc bike as a viabale race option for budget-minded racers or families. While I am a guy that bought a new YZ 250F a few years ago, I still think that what needs to happen is to allow the 125s to become OEM -built 144 or even 150 cc 2-strokes. If 250Fs are made smaller, they become even less reliable, and 125cc is really not quite enough displacement anyway. A YZ 150, SX 150, or RM 150 would be a much better bike for any 2-stroke fan, and the manufacturers would not be out the costs of development of their thumpers. As far as the big bikes go, I do not think we need bigger 250s, but since something needs done here, only a smaller thumper will level the playing field in this class. I like the 450s too, but for the good of the sport, Whitelock is on the right track.

I think the whole 4stroke 2stroke thing is a joke. Race equal displacement and you will have no worries.How do you think a 125f would do against a 125t? Duhh.. the 4 strokes are slower cc for cc-so stop cheating and ride classes designed for your bike-based on its displacement!!!

It's true, the 450's are too big. Trouble is, pandora's box has been opened and I don't see how you can go back now. It's a shame the AMA and FIM didn't see the writing on the wall and limit the displacement to 400 cc back when Yamaha was making the YZ400F. That would have avoided this whole mess and would have kept the 2 stroke more competitive as well.

um does RV pin it like james? you guys think RV will be james competition right? well sorry guys, how come RV isnt dominationg like james why doesnt he win as much? the lites east was a anymans game but sx was james oinly he had it locked so i dont see how RV is any good i bet james even tho i dont like james, but james weill PWN RV and then ima come here and laugh cuz RV aint shit hes like chad reed

Maybe you missed the fact that RV went 1st 10 for 11 races... That's a BETTER ratio than Stewart. Think before speaking next time cupcake.

What if the racers were limited to racing stock bikes, no engine mods done to them at all? Sure they can set up the suspension to the individual riders but leave the rest of the bike stock? And then allow factory made 144s to even up the lites class. Probably would never happen though.

What if the racers were limited to racing stock bikes, no engine mods done to them at all? Sure they can set up the suspension to the individual riders but leave the rest of the bike stock? And then allow factory made 144s to even up the lites class. Probably would never happen though.

:applause: If they did that would the factories have to put High HP bikes on the showroom floor? Which in turn would skyrocket the prices of these already overpriced machines.

The "Lites" class should be called the "Lame" class. I don't even bother to watch it. The SX class isn't much better nowadays. I missed the race today and I couldn't care less.

Craigus

Maybe you missed the fact that RV went 1st 10 for 11 races... That's a BETTER ratio than Stewart. Think before speaking next time cupcake.

RV is like Reed?

BWHAHAHAH