CRF450R Setup for a big boy.......?

Hey all....

I just got my first new bike.... a 2006 CRf450R with no hours.... smokin deal, I almost felt bad getting it as cheap as I did. HAHAHA on second thought, it feels friggin amazing.

Anyway, I'm a 230lb guy and I'm wondering what suspension setup I should be running on stock parts. Until I have the cashola to get a pro-job done and dialed in for me that;s all I've got to work with. I do a lot of all around riding from track, to open country, to some woods here and there.

I'm looking for some advice on the best possible setup for my fat a$$ for all types of riding, something I don't have to jerk around with all the time. Any help is super appreciated, going riding this weekend right after work....

Can't wait to get some hours and a first tank of gas through my new baby:thumbsup:

I'm in the same boat as you are with the weight problem. I am also looking for that magic combo. I have gone through all kinds of set ups and am just about to go on to the next thicker oil in the front and rear. I can spring it up and adjust the clickers good for MX but then it just about kills you in the tight rooted trails when I need a soft set up. I'm beginning to think a guy needs two bikes. One for MX and one for pleasure and woods riding. But I have things really close by just going with the rear spring rate that Race Tech recommended. Right now I just soften all the compression clickers for the woods and put them back for the track. BTW I'm just about 260#.

first and most important you guys need heavier springs

i'd go at least with 0.49 kg/mm for the forks and 5.7 kg/mm for the shock

I'm in the same boat as you are with the weight problem. .

Hey man....who said it was a problem, lots of money when into making my beer belly this perfect. Nah I'm just a big dude- I've got a buddy who'd raced for years who's gonna help me get it dialed in as much as stock will allow but I'm not sure how much that will help for now....

Hey all....

I just got my first new bike.... a 2006 CRf450R with no hours.... smokin deal, I almost felt bad getting it as cheap as I did. HAHAHA on second thought, it feels friggin amazing.

Anyway, I'm a 230lb guy and I'm wondering what suspension setup I should be running on stock parts. Until I have the cashola to get a pro-job done and dialed in for me that;s all I've got to work with. I do a lot of all around riding from track, to open country, to some woods here and there.

.50 in front

5.9 or 6.1 in rear

.50 in front

5.9 or 6.1 in rear

Perfect. Thanks man........

Hey this is my setup Fork .47 Shock 6.0 and i really need a .48 in the front to balance it out because it's riding to low in the stroke

o i'm 239

You's guys are lightweights!! I'm pounding out about 270 these days...

On my 04 CRF450 I run a 6.0 in the back and a .52 front. I actually just got done rebuilding the front end and adding the heavier springs in the forks. I was amazed at how much better the bike handles. The back doesn't kick up as the front dives any more... awesome!! It is definitely money well spent for us gravitationally challenged set.

Guys.....look I am 6'8" and a sold 270 @ 11% body fat....I am running .54kg in front and 6.4 in the rear. Did all my own re-valving and can't be happier. Check out my DIY in the CRF450 forum it is a sticky at the top of the page...

Bad thing is that is not magic combo for all riding. Something has to give..

Showa DIY Suspension

theDogger

Guys all awesome responses and this will get me where I need to be once I can afford new springs. Any suggestionson the setup for the stock stuff that on there now? Preload, damping, etc fornt and rear until I can get the right ones on it?

In all honesty...its like pissing in the wind until you at least get the right spring rates....

theDogger

In all honesty...its like pissing in the wind until you at least get the right spring rates....

theDogger

Dude trust me, I can fel my leg getting wet already. But it is what it is for now. She won't be stock for long, just can't let it sit in the garage till I get paid. You know how that goes.

Guys.....look I am 6'8" and a sold 270 @ 11% body fat....

Mental note: do not piss off the dogger.

:applause:

Mental note: do not piss off the dogger.

:excuseme:

Ok Ryan you are the 1st one on my LIST!:p

:applause:

theDogger

theDogger

Jeez dewd...why you got to harsh his mellow like that? :excuseme:

If you can't afford springs, all you can do is set the rider sag as close as you can and crank the comp clickers IN, to help control the massive amount of bottoming that WILL occur...:p:applause:

Jeez dewd...why you got to harsh his mellow like that? :p

If you can't afford springs, all you can do is set the rider sag as close as you can and crank the comp clickers IN, to help control the massive amount of bottoming that WILL occur...:p:excuseme:

Dude thanks for the advice. This is what I was hoping for when I posted this thread. Not a bunch of guys telling me I need to go buy springs. No shit I need new springs . It's setup for a 150-170lb dude stock for christ sake. I weighed that much when I was 10. Thanks for the help man...keep the good stuff coming.:applause:

Well I am definitely no expert, but was in the same place when I first bought my '04. I cranked the rear spring down as tight as I felt I could go with it, and slowed the front compression and it worked. It didn't feel right, but felt better than stock settings. The back still bottomed out until I replaced it with the heavier spring. I don't know if putting heavier oil would help in the front possibly?? I would think without increasing spring rate you'll just be over-damped, though. You may be able to get by. Depends on your riding style and such. I'm sure some improvemetns have been made on the '06 making it different than the 04, too.

Not a bunch of guys telling me I need to go buy springs. No shit I need new springs

You didn't say that you could not afford springs. You said "pro-job", which is typically re-valve, new seals/bushings, etc. and triple the price of just springs.

Hey all....

Anyway, I'm a 230lb guy and I'm wondering what suspension setup I should be running on stock parts. Until I have the cashola to get a pro-job done and dialed in for me that;s all I've got to work with.

Actually, this is what I said. I guess you mis read it. Soon, I'll have the cash to get it done right but for now I need to get it dialed as well as possible so I can ride it as problem free as possible with stock stuff. Read the first post in the thread....this quote's from there.:applause: