Exclusive!! KTM 450 EXC (2008)

I wonder why they didn't chose to just re-tune the SX DOHC motor and put that in there. must have been some serious problem if it justified the R&D work for an all new motor. or maybe they share lower ends.

I have both RXV 550 & KTM 525XC. The RXV weighs in about 275 fully loaded and is way faster than the KTM.

I believe that my KTM is correctly jetted (I don’t have anything to measure the air fuel ratio with.) and it has a little slower throttle response than the RXV. I like the fuel injection a lot. It is not the deciding factor in my purchase of the RXV. That was the V-twin engine.

Personally I believe that EFI is answering an EPA or marketing question. If I had a choice for a single it would have a carb. EFI is fine as long as you have the proper map for all of your modifications. If you are not computer savvy or purchase a reprogramming module, plus a dyno would not hurt if you are trying to create a map yourself, you will be taking your bike to your dealer.

For the RXV you must make sure they sync the throttle bodies before they install the map. The throttle body must bodies must be closed or the engine might not run right.

To me jetting isn’t so bad but EFI is coming. On the bright side I’m already getting used to it.

Any issues with the rxv? And I was curious how much it costs to take it to the dealer after 60 hours? I heard the 550 can be a beast offroad, did you have any remapping done?

I wonder why they didn't chose to just re-tune the SX DOHC motor and put that in there. must have been some serious problem if it justified the R&D work for an all new motor. or maybe they share lower ends.
Same here. I really expected to see upsized, or very similar versions of the new SX motor for the rest of the line. :applause:

If you want EFI that bad go buy an aprilia mxv 450/550 :applause:

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0607_2007_aprilia_rxv_450_550/

"The RXV 450 is a serious challenge for Honda's CRF450X and KTM's 450 EXC, particularly since the Italian puts its massive horsepower down better than the singles."

"the RXV 4.5 claims 258 pounds. The actual weight of a KTM 450 is about 255 pounds ready-to-ride with an empty tank, so if Aprilia is accurately reporting the bike's weight, the twin isn't overly porky"[/img][/url]

The only thing about the V-twin is that its gona be twice as costly to freshin up when the time comes! Otherwise it would be kinda cool to own. It sure looks cool.

the looks are a matter of opinion. I happen to think the new KTM's look brilliant. KTM admits designing their bikes to be insect-like, is that a negative thing?

As far as having no place to put numbers, that's also just not true. It may not look like it but there is plenty of room for even a large 3-digit number. Check out any of the available graphics kits for the '07 SX bikes and you'll see what I mean. Not to mention that 99% of these bikes sold will never end up with a number on them anyway.

It seems like the nay-sayers are grasping at straws here, desperately searching for some little reason to justify not liking these bikes. If you don't like it that's fine but don't try to blame it on some silly things like not appearing to have a large enough place to put numbers on the sides. The fact is the '07 version of these bikes are the baddest thing out there and the '08 is tremendously better. Put your money where your mouth is and buy one if you like it, don't if you don't. I'm saving my pennies and trying to be patient becuase I for one cannot wait to get one!

Well, yeah, three small numbers might fit ok on whatever room is left on the side panels, but one or two full size numbers would be tough. I think KTM made a strange choice to encroach so far into the number plate area, and for what.... a few extra semi-interesting graphics? Looks like they designed them just to be different, not better. The obvious remedy is to apply colored backgrounds to the sideplates before applying your number(s).

Other than the weird sideplates, I think it looks pretty damn sweet! But on a more important note, I'm looking forward to somebody telling us how much lighter the 08 models will be?

I would not be half as interested in the 08 exc 530 if ktm had simply tinkered with the dohc sx which is for motocross.

All credit to ktm for making a new motor to be the ultimate woods weapon .

The 510cc sohc 95x72 works very well in the big bore rfs inc Beta and the Sherco 5.1 i .

Like a lot of others, i am waiting for a nice ktm mechanic to print the spec sheet fo this model on web.

Any issues with the rxv?

There have been some issues with the RXV. Some have had oil seal problems, starter problems. A few people have lost motors but they were due to oil seal problems. There is an oil line reroute that will help if the oil seal blows.

And I was curious how much it costs to take it to the dealer after 60 hours?

Some people in Europe have hit the rebuild point (I think 3400 miles.). One that road races his SXV said after tear down was done that it didn’t really need it. Some people are converting to after market CRF valve buckets. They’re saying that the stock ones are wearing. Others that don’t race their bikes haven’t had many problems. 1 rider here in the U.S. claims other 3000 trouble free miles on his RXV 450. (All of what I have stated here I’ve read on multiple site and is just hear say. I only really know what I’ve experienced.)

I heard the 550 can be a beast offroad

I have the latest map and a G2 throttle tube. In my opinion these are mandatory upgrades if you want to ride anything tight or slow. Yes it is a beast. If you hit the throttle hard with the stock throttle it will try to rip out of your hands.

did you have any remapping done?

I haven’t had any custom mapping done. The only performance mod I’ve done is a foam air filter, and went down 1 tooth on the counter shaft sprocket. The bike doesn’t need any more power. I used to have a hot rodded CR 500 that would only run on race gas. The RXV 550 stock is faster, hands down. Think CR 500 type hit but a little softer but revved higher and pulled longer. It makes my 525 feel slow. My 525 has a silencer upgrade, is jetted properly and 3 teeth added to the rear sprocket.

The Aprilia is a unique bike and I love it and had to have it. If I had to have just 1 bike it would be the KTM. Although I take my RXV on every ride I go on and now use my 525XC as my buddy bike. The way I look at it, if my RXV breaks I still have my KTM and yes I feel lucky.:applause:

The last 8 years we have been dealing with many compramises of trying to get one engine to do it all. As the market becomes more competitive they need to have more use specific engines. A couple of examples, a MX bike they do not want the inertia of a counter balancer, they can't build a long (72mm) stroke engine like the 525 without one so the 450/505 (477cc) SXF engine does not have one and has a very short stroke (abt 60mm) and with that short stroke they can live without a counterbalancer, that is a big part of making this engine MX responsive!

Another issue, to make good power they need a compact combustion chamber which they get by tilting the valves closer to centerline, example the RFS engine has the valves 22 degrees off center line. The 250 SXF is 12 on intake 13 on exhaust (I have not been into a 450 yet). IF you try to use those valve angles on a long stroke engine you run out of space in the chassis for the carborator! Just for educational purposes I set a SXF head on a 525 and it would have required some rider anatomy mods to get it in there.

Again I have not been inside a 450SFX engine but rumor has it that it will not accomodate the 6 speed? And I gaurentee you it will not make a 525+cc engine which KTM needs for the desert/ big open country riders.

Next issue is the RFS combustion chamber is designed for the 89mm bore, it leaves a lot on the table when they put it on a 95 or 97mm bore and we want bigger yet!

The RFS has serious crankcase ventilation problems when it gets up in the 560 range and should have a bit more meat in the crank for the more then 72mm stroke applications. The RFS was built to serve a range of 400 to 510cc

I expect to see the new engine built to serve a range of 450 to high 500s??

• Like 1

I think they look great. It makes me feel like my new 250xcf/w is now dated. I love the way the 07's look though. It sounds like all the offroad models will be awsome. I hear the 450xc will be a 5 speed version of the 450sxf with 18" rear wheel and off road setup. The xc/w models will be like these exc's. But probably without lights. (which I think is retarded) The lights should at least be an option and not have to be ordered with separate part numbers or through aftermarket companies like Enduro Engineering. I also wouldn't be surprised to see another year of North American EXC's that are the same as 07's. We shall see.

Why would you want that size 4stroke? I don't see there being enough market for that size for anyone to retool for it.

I don't think there will be a 300cc ish fourstroke till 2009 but I am sure it will be a popular size. I think it would be a great replacement for the old 400 and I know it would be perfect for me. I love my 250 but I would like a little more power in this lghtweight package without having to go to the brutishness of the 450. I love riding the 450 for fun but I can ride longer and faster on my 250 4st. If they do come out with a 315XCF or somthing like it in 09', I will probably buy one and pass my 07 xcf on to my wife.

Overall I think they are putting out some great product. The new engine looks good. I like that it is still carburated and that it has separate oil compartments for engine and tranny. I kind of wonder what the displacement of the 530 will be. I hope it is close to 530 and not like 477cc or something silly. It will be an interesting new year for bikes.

Greg

Sorry for the thread hijack but I figure others might be interested to hear?..

There have been some issues with the RXV. Some have had oil seal problems, starter problems. A few people have lost motors but they were due to oil seal problems. There is an oil line reroute that will help if the oil seal blows.

The Aprilia is a unique bike and I love it and had to have it. If I had to have just 1 bike it would be the KTM. Although I take my RXV on every ride I go on and now use my 525XC as my buddy bike. The way I look at it, if my RXV breaks I still have my KTM and yes I feel lucky.:applause:

Ya, I have heard about the oil seal and starter problems. That's good to hear that you haven't had any. I heard that there is a ~3 gallon tank from Aprilia coming out (or is out?) which is something I was hoping for.. I want to get one of these bikes soon after I graduate next year..

One more Q, are you happy that you got the RXV 550 or do you wish you had bought another one of their models??

Thanx for the info RXV_Poor :applause:

are you happy that you got the RXV 550 or do you wish you had bought another one of their models??

No I don’t wish I would have bought another model. I like big powerful machines. My hero is Danny “Magoo” Chandler and the way I remember him is that he rode open bikes like no one else at the time. I will never have his talent but at time I like to imagine I do.

From what I hear the RXV 450 is a better off road bike. Less power usually means better handling plus the RXV 450 has equal power to most other open bikes.

Also I don’t care for the looks of the new KTMs. Hopefully they will look better in person. I am sure that they will work excellent.

From my usually reliable source, KTM 08 lineup to include:250 XC-W & 300 XC-W, both with E-start

DOT legal 450 EXC & 560EXC with new SOHC with shim valve adjust, the old RFS is gone!

Did I hear correctly that the new engine has additional oil capacity and (gasp!) one conventional cartridge type oil filter...as works great on almost every other design out there? ?

From my usually reliable source, KTM 08 lineup to include:

250 XC-W & 300 XC-W, both with E-start

DOT legal 450 EXC & 560 EXC with new SOHC with shim valve adjust, the old RFS is gone!

690 EFI Adventure for 08

Nut

Are they still going to make the 400 EXC for the US? What do you mean about the RFS being gone? Are you saying they have redesigned the whole engine, or just modified pats of the existing?