Sign in to follow this  

installing flywheel question

i am installing my first flywheel and would like to know if there is anyway to go about holding the flywheel without the actualy tool?

my idea is to put a crowbar through the rear sprocket and brake disc so it locks up the wheel? is this bad? any other ideas?

thanks in advance

I have used a piece of wood between the rear wheel and the swingarm but it is a pain in the butt. It is like 10 times easier to just buy the tool and use it than struggle with wedging something in there.

If I don't have a holder, I put a hammer through the rear wheel and rest it across the swingarm spars (either under or on top depending on if I'm tightening the flywheel nut or loosening it) with the bike in gear.

Just buy or borrow an air compressor and use a $30 impact wrench. I think one the more expensive ($259 or so) Hitachi cordless impact wrenches would work well and you wouldn't have to buy and air compressor or hold the rear sprocket. I just can't convince my wife that I NEED to have one to survive. I don't think the cheaper cordless impacts ($139 or so) would quite do the job, but I'm often wrong.