Sign in to follow this  

difference between BR9EVX,BR9EIX plug

ON my 06 yz 125 I have a ATHENA 144 kit in it and have been run the stock spark plug (NGK BR9EVX) on SUNOCO 112. Went to the YAMMAHA dealer to get some more spark plugs and they gave me some NGK BR9EIX plugs and said they would work. Can anyone tell me if this would be OK to run these plugs and what is the difference between the two?

I believe the EVX model is their Platinum model. It also has the sold top without the aluminum top. The cost on it should be aout 5-7.00.

The EIX model is the Iridium. The cost is between 8.00-12.00 each. I have no idea how much better the Iridium model would be, but NGK is sure proud of it!

Team Yamaha ran the BR7EIX in their YZ 250's. They are goodf plugs. My problem with using them is the obvious cost difference between either of them and a Normal BR8ES that sells for 2.00.

I think the only difference is one of them is a twin electrode. More expensive though.

Gonna bump up this Oooold thread.

What't the difference between the BR9EVX and a B9EG? Also whats the difference between a BR9EG and a B9EG?

I read EVX is platinum alright , what benefit does that have? Also what benifit does Iridium offer on a 2t? My new 08 has a BR9EVX, Im gonna go buy a spare plug soon..should I get another BR9EVX? (I dont foul plugs , just want to keep a spare incase) I gave all my old spare plugs when I sold my bike.

I got my 07 with a BR9EG and before that my 03 always had B9EG's so ive always used what each had. I want to figure out the differences once and for all!

The R in brg is for resistor i'm pretty sure. so the difference between a br9 and a b9 is one has a resistor.

The "R" in the BR9EG means it is a resistor spark plug. If your YZ250 (is it a 250F?) is a two-stroke, it should not matter much if you use a resistor plug or the B9EG which you mentioned before. If your bike is a 4-stroke that is fuel-injected, I would definetely use the resistor plug as you have a more sensitive electronics system on the bike.

Now if Yamaha or any other manufacturer recommends a resistor plug in the bike, I would follow their recommendations as that particular bike may not have a resistor spark plug cap.

I am sure others will be inserting their opinions on the matter as well, whether in support or in protest, so I have also included the official stance from NGK on the subject. :bonk:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqresistor.asp?nav=31200&country=US

Q: When should I use a resistor spark plug?

A: NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.

NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics.

They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.

In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.

• Like 1

Gonna bump up this Oooold thread.

What't the difference between the BR9EVX and a B9EG? Also whats the difference between a BR9EG and a B9EG?

I read EVX is platinum alright , what benefit does that have? Also what benifit does Iridium offer on a 2t? My new 08 has a BR9EVX, Im gonna go buy a spare plug soon..should I get another BR9EVX? (I dont foul plugs , just want to keep a spare incase) I gave all my old spare plugs when I sold my bike.

I got my 07 with a BR9EG and before that my 03 always had B9EG's so ive always used what each had. I want to figure out the differences once and for all!

Its hard to say if the advantages to the more expensive plugs are worth it. Yes, they would last longer, but I know few motorcycle people who ever wear out plugs. Most get tossed at leas tonce a year out of guilt..or whatever.

I found a few of the EIX plugs at a serious discount so I bought them. I believe the bike might start a little easier with the expensive plus vs a standard es series. Probably not worth 10.00 better.

I am not fond of the eg's. They are not considered a premium plug, even by NGK. I have had far better luck with the normal "ES" series and the es is 1/2 the money.

If I am packing a spare around its easy. The BR8egr makes a fine spare and its not expensive enough to worry about borrowing one to the poor guy who needs it. I would have to have the 12.00 eix pried from my cold dead hand and the guy could push his bike the 12 miles.