Quick Jetting Problem

I called DJ and found out I had the wrong instructions with my kit. And you are correct the 170 main was the ticket, but DJ told me to put the clip on the 3rd slot of the needle instead of the 4th. Bike rips now...

I'm running the DJ160 with my 2B (suppressed) exhaust. Do you think I could use the DJ165? The thing runs perfect now, as far as I can tell, with no hesitation, stumbling, or pauses (no power wheelies, either, but that's not my main goal). Decel popping, yes, but that can be controlled by not quite closing the throttle when I want it to be quiet.

Supressed is restricted... if it's running great now I'd leave it be. You could try the 165 but you won't notice anything earth shattering. Certainly no help in the decel popping area.

I called DJ and found out I had the wrong instructions with my kit. And you are correct the 170 main was the ticket, but DJ told me to put the clip on the 3rd slot of the needle instead of the 4th. Bike rips now...

Same setup as mine,, but with the Q2......

MX Rob is right , the taper of the DJ needle is wicked. So pulling it out of the jet sooner with throttle up must have been just too much juice for the RPMs?

Can you find the DJ needle ?

StockvsDJNeedleClose.jpg

Ok, I cut the top of the air box out, put in the uni-filter and the Dyno Jet kit. I set it on the 3rd clip, turned the mixture screw out 2.5 turns and went with the 160 main. The results are 1) The bike pulls very hard from the bottom thru about 3/4 throttle (I am Impressed) and then kinda falls off or flattens out. I should have listened and went with the 155 main as I am sure it is a tad rich. 2) It starts Idles and runs great, but I still have the dreaded popping on decel like I did when it was stock. Will a small turn out on the fuel mixture screw fix the popping or is this a pilot jet issue ?

On a side note when I tried the bike out it pulled the front wheel going down a slight hill and the induction noise made meel feel like my ass was going to be sucked into the carb ;-)

Ok, I cut the top of the air box out, put in the uni-filter and the Dyno Jet kit. I set it on the 3rd clip, turned the mixture screw out 2.5 turns and went with the 160 main. The results are 1) The bike pulls very hard from the bottom thru about 3/4 throttle (I am Impressed) and then kinda falls off or flattens out. I should have listened and went with the 155 main as I am sure it is a tad rich. 2) It starts Idles and runs great, but I still have the dreaded popping on decel like I did when it was stock. Will a small turn out on the fuel mixture screw fix the popping or is this a pilot jet issue ?

On a side note when I tried the bike out it pulled the front wheel going down a slight hill and the induction noise made meel feel like my ass was going to be sucked into the carb ;-)

It's a big fourstroke. They don't pull really well up top. You will notice such a mid-range increase with the air box/DJ mod that you swear you've lost top... you haven't. If you have the stock unground head pipe and stock muffler you should be running the DJ160 unless you are at a higher elevation. For the popping you need to open the pilot screw. I set my pilot for the smoothest idle just away from the lean side and live with the popping that I have since I have the stock muffler. It ends up in the 1-1/8 turns out range on my bike. I really notice it most in the canyon section I do each day... but it's really not bad. ?

Yeah I kinda figured it would flatten out on the top end, but this thing feels like somebody plugs the exhaust once it winds out. To confirm my feelings, when I left work yesterday at 6 a.m. it was only 40* and the top end felt "strong" compared to what it was when it was 75* when I put the jet kit in. I am at about 2,000 ft elevation. I set the mixture screw at the 2.5 turns and I did a conservative grind on the exhaust flange. I am overall real happy with the DJ kit. I believe I am just 1/2 size too rich on top. I'll put the 155 in and see what it does. With the summer heat and humidity it is only bound to get worse.

Ok, I put the 155 main in today and the thing is pretty much spot on. It is like I actually have a top end now. Pulls strong from the bottom all the way to the make believe red-line. My only complaint is the decel popping. It is about the same as it was stock. I adjusted the mixture screw to 3 turns out and it didn't change so I went back to 2 turns because it seems to start easier hot. Final set up is Uni-Filter w/air box mod, Head pipe grind (probably a little conservative),DJ kit 3rd clip and a 155 main. It is like a whole new bike now power wise. I just need some real tires for the dirt now because all it wants to do is spin ;-) Over all I am very happy with this bike.