Sign in to follow this  

Checking counter balancer - How difficult - should I attempt??

I recently purchased my 2nd DR650SE primarily for my son to ride. This latest one is a 2005 and only had 2500 miles on her. I have noticed that the '05 model vibrates at all speeds more than my '01 model that has about 4000 miles on her.

The difference in vibration between these two models is noticeable by all who ride them.

I have installed and balanced a new rear tire and cleaned, lubed and adjusted the chain. I am considering cracking the engine to check the counter balancer, but I would like some feedback regarding how difficult this task is. I have done some wrenching on these models, but I have never gotten into the engine and I don't want to get in over my head. Just some quick feedback regarding the general difficulty of this procedure would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I recently purchased my 2nd DR650SE primarily for my son to ride. This latest one is a 2005 and only had 2500 miles on her. I have noticed that the '05 model vibrates at all speeds more than my '01 model that has about 4000 miles on her.

The difference in vibration between these two models is noticeable by all who ride them.

I have installed and balanced a new rear tire and cleaned, lubed and adjusted the chain. I am considering cracking the engine to check the counter balancer, but I would like some feedback regarding how difficult this task is. I have done some wrenching on these models, but I have never gotten into the engine and I don't want to get in over my head. Just some quick feedback regarding the general difficulty of this procedure would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Have you checked all the engine mounts for proper torque? I'd certainly check all the external vibration possibilities before tearing the engine completely down. The balancer is gear driven. It's hard to imagine much going wrong with this balancer. Are you thinking maybe it's out of time somehow? With only 2500 miles on the bike I can't fathom it having ever been tore down....:applause:

+1 ...i totally agree with Rob, you need to eliminate the external possiblities....i had a friend with a bad front tire, the tire looked very new and was balanced, but had a "flat" spot in it from sitting so long. Also check the drive train, cush drive and sprockets....

Does the engine vibrate when you rev the motor and are standing still? Or do you get vibration at speed (clutch pulled or coasting in netural)?

Guys, I appreciate the need to eliminate other possible causes, and I will continue to do that. Please, this is the question - How difficult is it to check the counterbalancer? There is a difference in vibration when you are standing still, clutch engaged, and just reving the engine. No tires, no chain, no wheels. I will check the motor mounts and thanks for that tip. Searching this forum for "vibration" and reading the posts leads me to believe that there MIGHT be an issue with the counter balancer, as others have experienced based on their posts. I am just trying to decide whether or not it is worth the effort to check it out. Checking tire pressure - easy, checking wheel balance - somewhat more involved, but still pretty easy, checking counter balance - ??????? Thanks again for the excellent feedback. I'm a big fan of this forum.

Guys, I appreciate the need to eliminate other possible causes, and I will continue to do that. Please, this is the question - How difficult is it to check the counterbalancer?

I think I covered that with "before tearing the engine completely down." This means splitting the cases. :applause: I hope you don't need to do that.....

How difficult is it to check the counterbalancer?

the flat rate is 5.8 hrs.. so I believe the answer is... a complete pain in the ass:applause:

the flat rate is 5.8 hrs.. so I believe the answer is... a complete pain in the ass:applause:

Not only that, but if it isn't the problem and the balancer wasn't the issue, you can introduce the possibility of something else going wrong during reassembly, besides throwing away the time and money.

I've been told on a 95 DR 650 you can check the counter balancer without stripping the engine, just remove the left ignition cover.

(if I remember correctly)

What would you check? Would you mic it for specs? Weigh it? Balance it? Replace it and see if things improve? Are there bolts/nuts to re-torque? Just seems a remote possibility that it would be the problem. Occam's razor.

If you have a pre '96 DR650, you should check the balancer chain tension every now and then, and adjust it if needed. And replace the chain if it gets worn. If you don't, chances are the chain will skip a tooth one day introducing big vibrations.

If you have a '96 or younger DR650SE you should not worry about the balancer. It's gear driven and there's basically nothing that can go wrong with it.

If you have a pre '96 DR650, you should check the balancer chain tension every now and then, and adjust it if needed. And replace the chain if it gets worn. If you don't, chances are the chain will skip a tooth one day introducing big vibrations.

If you have a '96 or younger DR650SE you should not worry about the balancer. It's gear driven and there's basically nothing that can go wrong with it.

Max - Thank You! :applause: That is exactly the information I was needing. There are multiple posts about vibration being caused/fixed by adjusting the balancer, but the model year of the DR seems to be the issue and mine is not the chain driven model, so it looks like I need to look elsewhere. Thanks again.

Max - Thank You! :applause: That is exactly the information I was needing. There are multiple posts about vibration being caused/fixed by adjusting the balancer, but the model year of the DR seems to be the issue and mine is not the chain driven model, so it looks like I need to look elsewhere. Thanks again.

didn't mxrob say the same exact thing in the first response to this thread :applause:

It's a possibility that it has had that vibration since new and the counterbalancer may have been incorrectly assembled/misaligned at the factory perhaps? :applause: