Sign in to follow this  

2002 DRZ will not start

It has about 7000mi on it and about 6000mi ago I put a DJ Jet Kit in it and it ran great. Recently it started leaking gas from the bowl. I took the carb off, cleaned all the jets and re-installed the carb. It ran great after that, until 4 days ago. I went to start it and it didn't start right away. The battery started running low so I put it on the battery charger and kept chranking it. It wouldn't start until I choked the hell out of it and gave it full throttle. It finally started. I rode it about 2 miles and shut it off. Now it won't start. I have changed the gas, the spark plug and cleaned the carb and jets 5 times. It STILL won't start. Please help me!!!:applause: I just want to ride.:applause:

Electrical maybe??? Did you check to see if you even have a good spark?

I'm just guessing here...

check the breather tube coming off the carb to the petcok valve if thats off it wont run

Yes it gets spark and gas and air and it just won't start????????:applause:

It is 99% certain one of these statements is wrong, when you find out which it is, you will have an answer to your problem.

The internal combustion engine is pretty simple, if it has the three elements you mention, it will run.

It does not take much to prevent it running either, it has gas you say, but is it getting into the cylinder, it has a spark, is it at the right time ?

Compression, does it have enough to suck the fuel and air in ??

But as you have just been working on the carb I would look there first.

Neil. :applause::p :p

I tried starting fluid w/no throttle or choke and it fired but did not start. I then tried full throttle, full choke - it started but would not idle. Any ideas?

I tried starting fluid w/no throttle or choke and it fired but did not start. I then tried full throttle, full choke - it started but would not idle. Any ideas?

If it were me I would check the valve clearance. It only takes about a half hour, could be time well spent. Ken

checking the valves is a good idea either way.

but, i agree with neil. if you recently had the carb off to install a dj kit, then had problems, i would look there real good first.

you mentioned cleaning the jets again. did you inspect the needle holder?

if not, give that look as it can easily be damaged removing or installing if it's an s or sm model.

carb does not have to come off to do this, just the tank & the carb top.

could you have bumped the float? you mentioned it was pissing gas. could be an issue with the needle valve.

I just recently had the same exact problem...what I found with mine was the little plunger on the float valve was sticking. Essentially, with that little plunger sticking, it's like having your float adjusted a quarter inch too low. At this point it couldn't hurt to check...remove the bowl, remove the float and the needle comes out with the float. Spray some carb cleaner on the plunger and make sure it's operating freely.