do wr's really suck to start?

bike start religiously EVERY time. But, there IS a starting procedure to use!

Riding Tips

FOOLPROOF STARTING TIPS FOR YZ-F OWNERS

There is no doubt that the Yamaha YZ-F will encourage lots of new riders into the four-stroke fold. The rite of passage for any neophyte four-stroke rider is starting one of the beasts. The golden rule--tattoo this on your forehead is: "Thou shall not touch the throttle at any time during the starting process."

If you are smart, you will do exactly what we tell you. If you’re not smart...good luck.

Step one: With the transmission in neutral, turn the gas on and pull the choke out.

Step two: Kick the engine through slowly until you come to the hard spot (where the kickstarter will not move). This is called "bringing it up on compression."

Step three: Once you have brought it up on compression, follow these three steps:

(1) Pull the compression release in.

(2) Move the kickstarter about one inch past compression. Do not move the kickstarter so far that the piston goes through compression and moves too far down into its intake stroke. A little dab will do ya.

(3) Once you have nudged the piston over top dead center, allow the kickstarter to return to the top of its arc.

Step four: Release the compression release.

Step five: Kick with a steady but full stroke (from the top of the kickstarter’s arc all the way until the kickstarter hits the footpeg). If you did everything as prescribed, the YZ-F will start. However, if you touched the throttle, it will not.

Throttle tip: instead of holding onto the throttle with your right hand, hold onto the brake master cylinder.

Hot starting tip: Pull the hot start button out and follow steps one through five. Push the hot start button in as soon as the engine starts.

Cold start tip: Before you start the YZ-F for the first time, give the throttle two little blips. This will put a small dose of fuel into the top-end. No more than two blips. Never blip the throttle before starting a hot or warm engine.

Enemy tip: If you don’t own a YZ-F but want to ruin the day of a YZ-F rider who you don’t particularly like, go over to his unstarted YZ and give the throttle four or five healthy twists. The accelerator pump will fill the engine with fuel and it won’t start until the following Thursday.

The word: The Yamaha YZ-F isn’t the easiest starting full-size four-stroke engine made--that honor goes to the KTM 520SX or anything with an electric starter, but the YZ-F will start every time--if you follow the drill..

First, buy a hot-start button. Install it and avoid the rite-of-passage of having to tell horror stories about being on a 60 degree hill in 100 degree heat and having to hot start the beast with one foot on the brake, one hand on the clutch and decompession lever, the other hand on the front brake and totally fogged goggles (heart rate 165) Oh yea, the other foot is on a piece of loose lava rock that is 45.3 inches from your seat to the ground on the downhill side of the bike. There's this little dance that you go through that burns about 2500 calories in 15 seconds. I've only had to do this 555 times before I learned.

Next, while balancing on the lava rock, and with the clutch and decom. lever pulled in,(Neutral can not be found or tested for) kick the bike medium speed through the range of the kicker. Bring it up to TDC and give one of those yelps from an old japanese movie where the guy is about to cut somebodys head off, suck in your hernias and apply 225 pounds of pressure to the starter. Starts right up!

Now, with the bike sliding down the hill and the kick starter caught up your pant leg, casually reach over and shut off the hot start switch (if you haven't bothered to buy one.

Best of luck!

Ben there!

First, buy a hot-start button. Install it and avoid the rite-of-passage of having to tell horror stories about being on a 60 degree hill in 100 degree heat and having to hot start the beast with one foot on the brake, one hand on the clutch and decompession lever, the other hand on the front brake and totally fogged goggles (heart rate 165) Oh yea, the other foot is on a piece of loose lava rock that is 45.3 inches from your seat to the ground on the downhill side of the bike. There's this little dance that you go through that burns about 2500 calories in 15 seconds. I've only had to do this 555 times before I learned.

Next, while balancing on the lava rock, and with the clutch and decom. lever pulled in,(Neutral can not be found or tested for) kick the bike medium speed through the range of the kicker. Bring it up to TDC and give one of those yelps from an old japanese movie where the guy is about to cut somebodys head off, suck in your hernias and apply 225 pounds of pressure to the starter. Starts right up!

Now, with the bike sliding down the hill and the kick starter caught up your pant leg, casually reach over and shut off the hot start switch (if you haven't bothered to buy one.

Best of luck!

Ben there!

WR426

No problem starting with engine Cold, Hot or even after dumping it over.

Always choke it Cold and let it warm up at least a minute before taking the choke off.

90% time hot start is not needed either.

Wrockomotive

Yamahike of Colorado

WR426 2001

TTR125L

PW50

I have a 2000 WR400. My bike starts on the first kick nearly every time. It never takes more than 2 kicks. 95% of the time I don't use the hotstart. The bike starts great even after dumping it. Its easier to start than any other bike I've owned.

I'm not sure why WR's have a reputation for being hard to start. However, I think the YZ's are more difficult to start, relative to the WR's, due to differences in jetting and timing.

I have yet to figure out what all of the hoopla is about! If you know the drill there should be no problem. The day I got mine I got it home and it started first kick, without the drill. I got halfway down my street and stalled it and spent the next 20 minutes trying to start it. Needless to say I wound up pushing it home! I DIDN'T KNOW THE DRILL! Haven't had a problem since!

MXTuner- I think streamdream is talking about a remote hot start system. I just got a Dr.D system and it's awesome. Both hands on the bar and you can hold the front brake too!!! Makes things a lot easier!

Originally posted by rockhound:

I have a suzuki dr400e. I like the bike, but would like better suspension(which the wr supposedly has). So, are wr's as hard to start the mags say?

Rockhound,

If you're interested in a *slightly* used 2001 WR426, let me know. Bryan and I are moving to San Diego (from Portland, OR) and I'm selling everything I own...yes, even the ThumperTalk bike! ? If you're interested, check my signature for all the goodies that I've added and then send me an email and I'll send you some pictures (you can see a few on the site: on the home page in the lower-right corner, it's the one with the ThumperTalk fender sticker, and it's also the bike in the photos in the shopping cart showing ThumperTalk fender stickers):

steve.claus@thumpertalk.com

--Steve

The WR 426 is actually very easy to start relative to older generation thumpers (early XRs for example). Provided that you adhere to the starting procedure.

My bike starts in one or two kicks.

Occasionally after a fall it needs clearing out with the decompression button.

In summary, this bike starts readily if you are empathatic with its starting needs. And starts far more easily than other 4 strokes that I ride with.

Garry