Diesel Truck Maintenance

If you do it yourself it ain't so expensive just a little messier on the garage floor. Hint-don't try to drain 12 quarts into a 8 quart container or you will have the Valdez all over again. Don't ask how I know.

Don't feel bad-when I was a Heavy Truck technician, we had a newbie lube tech who used an 8 qt drain pan to drain a Cummins N14-needless to say, the extra 36 quarts that didn't fit in the pan made traversing the shop a bit slick.

I have had several ford F250,F350 ,7.3,6.0 They are all pretty good but the 6.0 engine is not near the engine of the 7.3 and if you want to run used veggie oil the 6.0 is not a good choice as the injector holes are too small for the viscosity of the veggie oil,Check out www.greasecar.com

Don't feel bad-when I was a Heavy Truck technician, we had a newbie lube tech who used an 8 qt drain pan to drain a Cummins N14-needless to say, the extra 36 quarts that didn't fit in the pan made traversing the shop a bit slick.

Geez, even the 5.9 would have killed that 8qt pan. That tech MUST have been a newb...

Can't go wrong with any diesel. However, I have talked to some 6.0 owners, and while they claim to love their truck, and wouldn't get anything else, they HAVE had to take them in for things breaking. One was a turbo, another was the injectors, another the computer.

I dunno about the 6.4; Diesel Power seems to love it, but we'll see if its another 6.0, but in Cummins clothing.... hahaha... :applause: :applause:

Geez, even the 5.9 would have killed that 8qt pan. That tech MUST have been a newb...

He was a newb, and didn't stay long enough to climb above that status-total time on the job-2 full days, and he was gone when we got back from lunch on day 3.:applause:

The stories of stupidity, ignorance and incompetence I could tell you would frighten you from ever taking your vehicle's in for any service.

My Dodge manual says major service due at 350,000 miles. The rest is just routine up until that point. If the engine lasts that long it will outlast me. I do know for the Dodge if you bomb the engine and have the auto, you will need to beef the transmission up. That might be true for all of the big three diesels.

Rofl, see why I call dealership mechanics "greasemonkeys"? Most monkeys could do a better job :applause:

• Like 1

:applause: ever seen someone try to adjust valves with channel locks when a wrench is right there? I have.... :applause:

Yup, and I can beat that one.

We had a tech who was removing a auto trans from a F350 on a drive-on hoist, and never set the park brake or chocked the wheels.

As my 2 yr old would say "Truck Fall Down, Go BOOM!"

I am sure glad I wasn't a service writer that night-totalled Waldoch custom conversion F350 4 dr PS Diesel, lifted, custom paint, replacement cost $60,000.

We had a truck that wouldnt start when it was hot... presumably a starter dragging. It was under warranty so we took it to the dealer to let the greasemonkeys fix it.

ASE certified mechanic that had been trained by international pops the battery box cover off and exclaims "wow, 4 batteries! I can't understand how it wont start with 48 volts!" :applause:

We had a truck that wouldnt start when it was hot... presumably a starter dragging. It was under warranty so we took it to the dealer to let the greasemonkeys fix it.

ASE certified mechanic that had been trained by international pops the battery box cover off and exlaims "wow, 4 batteries! I can't understand how it wont start with 48 volts!" :applause:

FYI-International is a 15 letter word for "Junk" :applause:

They still putting the heater cores underneath the passenger seat?

Some day you will learn why KW earned the name "The World's Best" ?

KenworthLogo.jpg

Internationals are tough to beat for local runs. KW wants 10 grand more for their day cabs.

If I was running OTR living in my truck I'd have a KW or a western star... but for local runs International is the best bang for the buck.

You'd drive a Freightliner? (AKA-Mexican Peterbilt-since that is where they have been making them recently)

I love my KW's, narrow cabs and all-who need power windows when it's only 24 inches from the armrest to the passenger door?

Int'l does some things that do not impress me-their reverse muffler on cab mounted stacks makes no sense, and &%$#@! is up with those wiggly exhaust stacks? Ahhh, the list is quite long.........

I have one of the early '03 F-250s with the 6.0. This truck has been great for me, no problems to speak of - other than Ford's California Emissions computer reflashes robing some power and mileage.

Still gets 17 to 19 mpg on the highway and tows my 30' toyhauler just fine.

FYI-International is a 15 letter word for "Junk" :applause:

They still putting the heater cores underneath the passenger seat?

Some day you will learn why KW earned the name "The World's Best" ?

KenworthLogo.jpg

As a Kenworth employee, I'll take that as a compliment! Thanks :applause:

Based on your description of the cab, I presume you are running T8's or W9's?

As a Kenworth employee, I'll take that as a compliment! Thanks :applause:

Based on your description of the cab, I presume you are running T8's or W9's?

T600 with 72" Aerocab Stand Up Sleeper-can't afford the fuel in a W9 these days.:applause:

Cool thing is, my cab is the same as a W9 or T8, so parts are easy to get.

T600 with 72" Aerocab Stand Up Sleeper-can't afford the fuel in a W9 these days.:applause:

Cool thing is, my cab is the same as a W9 or T8, so parts are easy to get.

Yeh, we have a lot of die hard W9 customers. Personally, the T6 (and the new T660) have always been, and always will be, my favorites.

A truck way ahead of its time when released back in 1986 and truly paved the way for all the other aero trucks out there!:applause: