Sign in to follow this  

Diesel Truck Maintenance

What's up everybody.... I recently totalled my 06 tacoma (tryed to jump it off of a 40 foot cliff, turn out they are not cliff proff.. i really didn't jump it i crashed and flew off and landed on my roof.. i walked away though.. pics comming soon) But back to the topic at hand, can somebody break down the cost of opperating a diesel truck. Im leaning towards the f-250, maybe an 04 or 05. Typicall oil change diesel service filters breaks stuff like that.... i have an uncle with one and he kind of scared me a little bit... also the reason im leaning towards a diesel is because my neighbor brews biodeisel in his garage.. so at around $1.75 a gallon i can't really go wrong. Thanks for all of the imput!

What's up everybody.... I recently totalled my 06 tacoma (tryed to jump it off of a 40 foot cliff, turn out they are not cliff proff.. i really didn't jump it i crashed and flew off and landed on my roof.. i walked away though.. pics comming soon) But back to the topic at hand, can somebody break down the cost of opperating a diesel truck. Im leaning towards the f-250, maybe an 04 or 05. Typicall oil change diesel service filters breaks stuff like that.... i have an uncle with one and he kind of scared me a little bit... also the reason im leaning towards a diesel is because my neighbor brews biodeisel in his garage.. so at around $1.75 a gallon i can't really go wrong. Thanks for all of the imput!

Allright, the first question is, are you going to be doing your own maintenance, or letting a shop do it for you?

Doing it yourself can save a bundle, but then you have the filters and fluids to dispose of (legally and safely)

Oil change intervals are at around 5,000-7,500 miles, and they take 3-4 times as much oil, but you can use Rotella, that is $8 or so per gallon. Now the filters are twice as much (roughly), then a diesel needs its fuel filter changed much more frequently I choose to change mine every oil change. Injectors are not cheap, and this is cheap insurance against a $300 injector failure, usually at the least convenient moment.

Now, CA will charge you more for licensing a heavier rated truck, up to 3x as much as a your previous ride.

SO-Powerstroke 2005 6.0L (These are Napa Prices from their website)

Oil Filter FIL-7314 $27.39

Fuel Filter SFI-23899 $47.99

Air Filter FIL-9731 $64.19 (should be changed when the restriction gauge gets into the red zone-vary's by use, but 3-5 oil changes)

Rotella Oil per Gallon $8 at Wal-Mart and the 'Stroker needs 15 qts, so that's $32 in oil.

I know there are cheaper sources out there for filters (Baldwin is where I get mine through), but they are not always readily available to the avg Joe.

Minimum oil change, DIY is going to cost around $60, with a fuel filter over $100, but that is every 7500 miles (per the mfgr reccomended interval), so in comparison to a gas motor, it isn't too much more.

Now factor in the initial investment (higher sale price) of a rattler, and you have to ask yourself, "Do I need a HD truck, or just want one?" Because that is the key-if you don't need one, you very well may be better off with another small truck, economically.

It also depends on how long you plan on keeping it. The resale of a diesel truck will always be atleast double when you go to sell it after a few years. I would stay away from those year Fords. They have the 6.0 diesel. Try finding one with the 7.3 which they stopped making in 2003. Much more reliable. I drive Dodge cummins trucks and they pay for themselves.

One more thing regarding resale, I bought my 2001 Dodge 2500 quad cab sb diesel for 23,000 dollars in 2002 and it had 40000 miles on it. I drove it for 3 years and sold it for 20,100 dollars with 165,000 miles on it. Now if that would have been a gasser I would probably only got like 9500 to 10,500 for the truck. Just my .02 cents.

It also depends on how long you plan on keeping it. The resale of a diesel truck will always be atleast double when you go to sell it after a few years. I would stay away from those year Fords. They have the 6.0 diesel. Try finding one with the 7.3 which they stopped making in 2003. Much more reliable. I drive Dodge cummins trucks and they pay for themselves.

Why would you stay away from those years?? Did you own one or do you believe everything you read on the internet??

I'm on my third Ford Diesel and second 6.0, they're excellent trucks and engines, you may read about a few problems online with the 6.0 but there's millions on the road with no issues. Just my $.02. :applause:

Why would you stay away from those years?? Did you own one or do you believe everything you read on the internet??

I'm on my third Ford Diesel and second 6.0, they're excellent trucks and engines, you may read about a few problems online with the 6.0 but there's millions on the road with no issues. Just my $.02. :applause:

The 6.0L is way more problematic than the 7.3L; I am very happy to hear when a 6.0L owner reports they have had no problems :applause:

I worked for Ford until 2005 and have a very close friend that is in charge of the Tech help line / call center; a year after the 6.0L was introduced they had to double the amount of techs to handle the increased calls for the 6.0L

And sadly, the 6.4L will be 10x worse. :p

Yearly filter kits are availiable from www.genosgarage.com. Supposed to include filter for 1 year.

Dodge 5.9 http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MK2003-AF-DG

Ford 6.0 http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MKFD-0305-M

I can see how your uncle scared you a little. The Ford kit is more than double the Dodge, and it doesn't include the air filter. The Ford kit uses Motorcraft filters. I'm sure the Baldwin route would be less expensive. So, you're looking at $82 to $200 per year for filters. Then add oil. Since I always argue for the Cummins, I will say that it only takes 11 qts instead of 15, so you would save a few bucks on oil.

There are better things to ponder when making your descision than maintenance, IMO. Stuff like mileage, resale, initial cost, insurance. Do you need a big pickup or want one? Etc.

I own a 6.0.

oil filter $18

14qts of rotella under $30

fuel filters. I don't remember, Had friend that works at ford buy and change the filters.

Resale pulls up to 5g more than a gasser. mpg is better by a few mpg. before i lifted mine i was getting 700+ miles to a tank. i have 38g tank.

And then theres the biggest payoff It has major BALLS.

You'll do 2 oil changes with gas to 1 with diesel which will cost close to the same.

Any ways Maintenance

the diesel won't break the bank!

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

Qick question...

Is it wrong to want an HD truck? Granted i won't be towing 10k lbs daily but the ocational boat tow or something like that. Plus I really REALLY like the way the super duty trucks look.. slap a 6 or 8 inch lift with some 37"s... you can't beat that!

In addition to the truck looking amazing, i can get b100 biodiesel. For me, paying $1.75 apposed to $3++ for fuel is pretty much a no brainer...

Also, my uncle mentioned a major diesel service every, i can't remember 25K or 50K miles... he said it was about 2 grand. what is that?

Also, my uncle mentioned a major diesel service every, i can't remember 25K or 50K miles... he said it was about 2 grand. what is that?

Got no idea. :applause:

I change the oil, oil filter and fuel filter every 5k miles for $90. (for the past 100k miles)

I think to run bio-deisel you need a conversion kit that runs around 1k....not too sure what all it involves, but you might want to do the research...BUT it will save you a grip of money in the long-run...Im thinking of getting a chevy duramax for the same reason as you, about the same gas mileage as a full-size truck, but diesel is about 40cents cheaper a gallon right now, and bio-diesel is even cheaper to make

I think to run bio-deisel you need a conversion kit that runs around 1k

negative!! you only need a conversion if you are running waste vegtable oil.... WVO... biodiesel requires no modifications at all.

and this thousand dollar major service??? no clue what he's talking about there.... modern diesels are a lot less maintinence intensive than the old ones.

yeah you are right, veggie oil is what I was thinking about, if I get a diesel thats what Im gonna run, one of the conversion places is just up in Ojai

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

Qick question...

Is it wrong to want an HD truck? Granted i won't be towing 10k lbs daily but the ocational boat tow or something like that. Plus I really REALLY like the way the super duty trucks look.. slap a 6 or 8 inch lift with some 37"s... you can't beat that!

In addition to the truck looking amazing, i can get b100 biodiesel. For me, paying $1.75 apposed to $3++ for fuel is pretty much a no brainer...

He may be referring to the "50k maintenance package" that some mfgr's maintenance schedule recommends.

These usually include trans fluid and filter change, repack front wheel bearings, change oil in rear diff and transfer case, coolant flush and fill, check and add SCA additive as needed, etc.

But preventative maintenance packages go with owning any vehicle-all except the SCA additive level must be done if one expects any vehicle to last.:applause:

But, an diesel 3/4 or 1 Ton will require more fluids than say a Ranger, so that may elevate the costs some.

If the service costs don't freek you out, then go for the diesel truck. I like the 7.3 in the ford, and the 1994 - 1998 dodge 12valve diesel trucks. If you have to have a quad cab, dodge made the 12 v with suicide doors only in 98. Having said that, I have a 2001 and have had to modify the fuel delivery system to make it bullet proof. If you want payments, the chevys are sweet and ride great, the fords are grenades, and the new dodges are real quiet and with a 6 speed manual will tow a house off the foundation. All of the trucks can be modified to perform, but I would go with a long bed in what ever brand you decide on. You will get 32-34 gallon capacity vs only 24-28 with the short beds. The long beds typically tow better dt the longer wheel base, but parking in the city is a stretch. Personally, I park away from the door slamming crumb snatchers and stray shopping carts so this didn't matter too much to me. Oh yea, the earlier dodges got 19- 20 mpg in a manual trans. No one else comes close to that now I think.

I have an 06 Ford F250 and have had no problems. I had a Tundra before and loved it but it wouldn't tow like the Ford. I am getting a solid 17-18 mpg. As for cost I have found it's been about the same. Oil changes are a bit more but you do them less. Gas(the Tundra took supreme) is about $.40 more a gallon where I'm at..

fivepointnine, are you the guy who rolled your truck off montezuma grade? Totalled both your bikes too? If that's not you sorry. I have a 06 Chevy 6.6 and love it. As long as you can do the usual type of maintainance yourself diesel is the way to go.

I've had the Dodge diesel since mid 2004. Diesel was a little cheaper for a couple of months but hasn't been cheaper than gas since two weeks ago. So don't argue for cheaper fuel it flucuates too much. I get my filter kit from Genos at $60. Four oil filters and two fuel filters. Also put in a K&N air filter that will last the life of the truck. About $45. Takes 12 quarts to fill the engine every 7500 miles, although the manual states 15k between changes is ok. I'll also change the transmission fluid every 30k.

If you do it yourself it ain't so expensive just a little messier on the garage floor. Hint-don't try to drain 12 quarts into a 8 quart container or you will have the Valdez all over again. Don't ask how I know.

Diesel is the best bet for any type of truck there the strongest and they out last anything. As for your uncle talking about thoes major maintance he is wrong you dont need to do basically anything except oil and filter. A diesel pickup can last up to about 400,000 miles and after that throw some rings and injectors and you are set for another 400,000 these trucks are made to take a beating and they are ment to last long

in my eyes you cant go wrong with it