Sign in to follow this  

Estimating Daily Caloric Energy Requirements

I used to work as a personal trainer at Golds way back in the day, and it was common to teach/tell people that 5-6 smaller meals would contribute to fat loss. Hadn't thought about that in years, but have heard lots of talk about how, scientifically it isn't all that legit. That it doesn't keep your body out of fat storage mode and all that.

I haven't researched it, but I have no problem believing that the multiple small meals thing doesn't actually stimulate the metabolism, or tell your body "hey no need to store extra fat, we have constant nutrients coming in" as we used to be taught. Maybe it doesn't help keep a steady stream of muscle building nutrients on tap when your training hard.... whatever.

What I did notice, and do remember from when I had clients way back in the day, was that those who did embrace the small meals ever couple of hours plan, is that mentally.... I'm talking discipline here, they were much more successful in staving off cravings for carbs and junk food.

For that reason alone, I had them snacking on beef jerky, chicken salads and fresh veggies multiple times a day.

I did that, 5-6 small meals of day when i was trying to lose a good deal of weight yrs back. Do i know that was the difference maker? No, but I like to believe it helped. I mean I also ate only 1850 cal a day for a while, worked out 3-5 times a week, and never cheated. I mean I wouldnt eat a cracker. lol. But thats what it took. I do believe eating breakfast in the morning, especially with a good amount of protein will spike metabolism in the morning. Again i dont have scientific proof...However, i dont think if you want to train hard or build...you are going to be eating 5-6 SMALL meals...small is like 300-350cal. You would have to be eating 500-600 CLEAN each at least to really get any significant gains it would seem.

Either way im not tryin to debate if the small meals works....but tell me how possible it is for your body to adequately burn the 1600 cal you just ate for dinner in the 4-5hrs before you go to bed. I think that the 5-6 meals works well for those trying to lose because you dont store excess you couldnt burn. And eating High GI carbs in a large quantity at all, but especially all at once, would make losing even that much more difficult.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

I did that, 5-6 small meals of day when i was trying to lose a good deal of weight yrs back. Do i know that was the difference maker? No, but I like to believe it helped. I mean I also ate only 1850 cal a day for a while, worked out 3-5 times a week, and never cheated. I mean I wouldnt eat a cracker. lol. But thats what it took. I do believe eating breakfast in the morning, especially with a good amount of protein will spike metabolism in the morning. Again i dont have scientific proof...However, i dont think if you want to train hard or build...you are going to be eating 5-6 SMALL meals...small is like 300-350cal. You would have to be eating 500-600 CLEAN each at least to really get any significant gains it would seem. Either way im not tryin to debate if the small meals works....but tell me how possible it is for your body to adequately burn the 1600 cal you just ate for dinner in the 4-5hrs before you go to bed. I think that the 5-6 meals works well for those trying to lose because you dont store excess you couldnt burn. And eating High GI carbs in a large quantity at all, but especially all at once, would make losing even that much more difficult.

What makes you think the body doesn't do anything with food you've eaten just before bed? If you ate 1600 calories just before bed then you better have eaten only a few hundred throughout the day. If your TEE is 2000 and you eat 1500 for breakfast and lunch and eat a 1500 calorie dinner of course you're gonna store it, you're eating more than your body needs.

I guess im confused on whether or not you are arguing. But obviously its going to use SOME of it, lol. I mean being alive is burning calories. I am not sure why you are jumpin on my post when I believe its pretty obvious that if you ate 2000 calories before bed, you arent going to put it all to "GOOD" use. I have seen studies that say eating before bed is bad, some say its fine. Either way I highly doubt the ones who say it is fine mean, go ahead and eat 1600 calories 1/2hr before you go to bed. If you are starving before bed, a nutritious low carb snack, or at least real low GI (like an apple) or some casein protein for recovery if you are lifting...probably could be beneficial.

While I am not an EXPERT on the small meals multiple times vs 3 or less BIG is better....does it not make sense that if you ate a ton at once...and your metabolic rate isnt at a level to use it efficiently, which 1500 calories you'd need to be training crazy hard shortly after...three things could happen. It's used/burned, stored (as fat), or is just waste? I know if you "burn more calories then you eat in a day you will lose". I still can't agree that the whole days worth in 1 meal is the same as spreading them out. Not to mention it seems it would wreak havoc on your blood sugar level.

This is obviously a very debatable subject, with a lot of schools of thought. End of the day do what works for you.

I guess im confused on whether or not you are arguing. But obviously its going to use SOME of it, lol. I mean being alive is burning calories. I am not sure why you are jumpin on my post when I believe its pretty obvious that if you ate 2000 calories before bed, you arent going to put it all to "GOOD" use. I have seen studies that say eating before bed is bad, some say its fine. Either way I highly doubt the ones who say it is fine mean, go ahead and eat 1600 calories 1/2hr before you go to bed. If you are starving before bed, a nutritious low carb snack, or at least real low GI (like an apple) or some casein protein for recovery if you are lifting...probably could be beneficial.

While I am not an EXPERT on the small meals multiple times vs 3 or less BIG is better....does it not make sense that if you ate a ton at once...and your metabolic rate isnt at a level to use it efficiently, which 1500 calories you'd need to be training crazy hard shortly after...three things could happen. It's used/burned, stored (as fat), or is just waste? I know if you "burn more calories then you eat in a day you will lose". I still can't agree that the whole days worth in 1 meal is the same as spreading them out. Not to mention it seems it would wreak havoc on your blood sugar level.

This is obviously a very debatable subject, with a lot of schools of thought. End of the day do what works for you.

A lack of understanding is what creates "bro-science". I'd like to see that study that says eating before bed is bad, cause I can give you a few that say the opposite that aren't mistaking correlation for causation:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1550038

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

Eating more meals actually keeps you blood sugar higher throughout the day than eating a few big meals.

This is a good subject to debate

A lack of understanding is what creates "bro-science". I'd like to see that study that says eating before bed is bad, cause I can give you a few that say the opposite that aren't mistaking correlation for causation:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/3508745

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1550038

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21475137

Eating more meals actually keeps you blood sugar higher throughout the day than eating a few big meals.

This is a good subject to debate

You are right, I will concede these studies are pretty intriguing, and may cause me to change my view, or even try it. Though I know the way I lost 75lbs in not a lot of time, and cut my body fat % in half did not include eating at night anything other then cottage cheese/casein protein...or a veggie. However, you could have just saved the time typing things like correlation for causation and broscience and just posted this:

http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html

Again, I will look more into this.

How do you guys feel about meal intervals. How about carb/protien ratios.

I have been using Cytomax pre excercise, and during longer cardio. As well as Muscle Milk afterward.

I don't take it so serious regarding with meal intervals as I only eat 3 times a day. treatment strategies

You are right, I will concede these studies are pretty intriguing, and may cause me to change my view, or even try it. Though I know the way I lost 75lbs in not a lot of time, and cut my body fat % in half did not include eating at night anything other then cottage cheese/casein protein...or a veggie. However, you could have just saved the time typing things like correlation for causation and broscience and just posted this:

http://www.leangains...er-for-fat.html

Again, I will look more into this.

Not sure what you mean by that but, sure. I don't think eating those things caused you to lose weight as much as keeping your calories down did. There's nothing magical about not eating before bed, just eat sensibly.

Not sure what you mean by that but, sure. I don't think eating those things caused you to lose weight as much as keeping your calories down did. There's nothing magical about not eating before bed, just eat sensibly.

Exactly, i ate before bed but not a lot. Problem is the late night eaters eat too much or eat junk. I am curious how much they mean by a "high carb" dinner. Like, 50g, 100g, 150g? Doesn't really specify. I mean during my deal, i think i ate 75g of carbs a day period. And no we dont have to talk about low carb diets, was a recommendation by a friend who got huge after being average at best, lol..

Will say I don't fully understand the one study, I get the gist of it, but I would have to learn some of the stuff from it I don't recognize to get the most out of it.

Exactly, i ate before bed but not a lot. Problem is the late night eaters eat too much or eat junk. I am curious how much they mean by a "high carb" dinner. Like, 50g, 100g, 150g? Doesn't really specify. I mean during my deal, i think i ate 75g of carbs a day period. And no we dont have to talk about low carb diets, was a recommendation by a friend who got huge after being average at best, lol..

Will say I don't fully understand the one study, I get the gist of it, but I would have to learn some of the stuff from it I don't recognize to get the most out of it.

Well, anything under 100g of carbs would be considered Ketogenic, so not high at all. I think 150-200 would be getting into the high range. If you're eating whole foods its really hard to get past 150g especially if you are eating enough protein. Throw in some pizza and you can surpass 200 real quick.

Well, anything under 100g of carbs would be considered Ketogenic, so not high at all. I think 150-200 would be getting into the high range. If you're eating whole foods its really hard to get past 150g especially if you are eating enough protein. Throw in some pizza and you can surpass 200 real quick.

Yea i dunno if i wanna do the 75g again. I mean...i was eating about 1850cal/day, 65% from protein, 30% from fat, and 15% from carbs, approximately. It's kind of a pain to do, and the only fruit I really ate was strawberries, blueberries, in smal amounts. No bread, etc.. An apple or banana woulda been half or better of my total for the day, lol. TBH that diet kind of sucked. I would like to find a better more long-term realistic balance. I also wasn't sure if taking that much protein in a day was makin my kidneys work. I know i had heard that in the past, but I wasnt sure how "significant" it would be. I think I am going to try and cut out protein shakes too, unless i really came up short on a day. One of the studies that was kind of surprising was the breakfast skipping one. I always ate breakfast every day. If i read that right, the breakfast skippers lost more?

Yea i dunno if i wanna do the 75g again. I mean...i was eating about 1850cal/day, 65% from protein, 30% from fat, and 15% from carbs, approximately. It's kind of a pain to do, and the only fruit I really ate was strawberries, blueberries, in smal amounts. No bread, etc.. An apple or banana woulda been half or better of my total for the day, lol. TBH that diet kind of sucked. I would like to find a better more long-term realistic balance. I also wasn't sure if taking that much protein in a day was makin my kidneys work. I know i had heard that in the past, but I wasnt sure how "significant" it would be. I think I am going to try and cut out protein shakes too, unless i really came up short on a day. One of the studies that was kind of surprising was the breakfast skipping one. I always ate breakfast every day. If i read that right, the breakfast skippers lost more?

Yeah, 75g is pretty low, I've been lower but I think a reasonably active person will feel better with more. There's really no evidence that high protein intake has any negative effects on the kidneys but drinking your protein is not really ideal, I prefer a big steak or lamb chops. The key here is eating real, whole food, and that's where my research has brought me at the present time.

Skipping breakfast was one of the best things I ever did. When you understand what happens when the body sleeps and when it wakes it makes you wonder why we have been told to ALWAYS eat breakfast.

Yeah, 75g is pretty low, I've been lower but I think a reasonably active person will feel better with more. There's really no evidence that high protein intake has any negative effects on the kidneys but drinking your protein is not really ideal, I prefer a big steak or lamb chops. The key here is eating real, whole food, and that's where my research has brought me at the present time.

Skipping breakfast was one of the best things I ever did. When you understand what happens when the body sleeps and when it wakes it makes you wonder why we have been told to ALWAYS eat breakfast.

Honestly, I NEVER ate breakfast til I thought it helped. I think change, especially a drastic one like that (late carbs and bigger meal, no breakfast) is not something i will adapt to quickly. But I am going to give it a whirl....and see where it goes, if for nothing else, personal experimentation.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

One thing I know is that we should not wait till we are sooo hungry before we eat, because by then, there is a tendency for us to overeat. 3 small meals and healthy snacks in between is the ideal food routine for me.

Check this out. It's very informative to a person wanting to calculate calories.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Give it a read and check out the formula's listed. The Katch-Mcardle I'm told is the most accurate formula.

For a quick check you can also use freedieting.com and fitnessfrog.com

Both are good but fitnessfrog in my opinion tends to over estimate needs. A good calorie tracker is myfitnesspal.com. I use it and you can also get the app for your smartphone.

The way i train the motorcycle riders is work with would be:

• Count how many Kcals you eat and drink for 1 week
  • Add the kcals up
  • divide by 7
  • this will tell you how many kcals your currently eating then you go from there

to loose 1lb you need to burn 3500 throughout the week, so if you need to loose body fat you would Start on your weekly kcal intake that you've worked out above and reduce your intake by 250 kcal of food and Add in 20/30 mins of some sort of CV which will burn another 250 kcal's..

You are now Burning 500 kcal's extra per day x by 7 = 3500 kcal's burnt.. which will decrease your body fat healthy by lb per week.

Its the opposite if you need to increase your body weight.

If your happy with your weight and would like you maintain all you would need to do it is find out your daily intake and stick to that.

Hope this helps

Jack

This is something really useful i am glad to see it,Appreciate you for sharing mate basically thing that you have highlighted can help a lot of people in understanding about calories.Basically because it is the thing on which we should have knowledge i am liking it already.

to get more information about occupational therapy software

Edited by Brenden32