Sign in to follow this  

KTM 525 EXC sm versus Drz400 SM

the head of the AMA super moto board Grover got smoked by a quad with an RHC450 engine @ the first round while out in practice the quad even pulled the racing KTM 525 down the strait .i dont see any reason why a good DRZ would not do the same but of course then the KTM could have the same work done to them .the last KTMs i worked on had the heads deliverd to Roush racing where they welded the ports flooors where i specified when was done the heads cost over $3000 each and the cams cost over $500 each to make again i had Roush make the cam billets .

With all the plateable bikes from KTM this year, My assumption is that not including a plateable 525 SM was not merely an oversight. My personal feeling is that KTM doesn't think it would hold up at hwy speeds and commuting and just all around street riding.

Tony

Didn't Suzuki wait 5 years to release the SM version of their DRZ400? KTM already has a line of supermotos, ie 625SMC. KTM is known for having specific bike models, and a 525 supermoto from the factory wouldnt make sense, especially since they already sell a set of supermoto rims for their bikes in the HardParts catelogue.

wasnt matter of waiting.it was matter of demand.

just fyi,the sm you had didnt have a "pile" of mods.

why people cant grasp the concept of 400 vs 525cc's is beyond me.its very simple.

a 470c drz makes more power than a ktm 525.how do think a 525cc drz runs?

why people cant grasp the concept of 400 vs 525cc's is beyond me.its very simple.

ooooooohhhh get em eddie, get em boy

Hehehe, well having also been a DRZ owner in the past, I can see how could easily make one run with a KTM. This is really only true though for flat out straight runs. If you throw in technical obstacles and both riders are at equal skill level, then both bikes are equal in power, sorry guys but the KTM will win. It's not all about the power, but the handling too is a huge factor. I've currently got a KTM 450 and I honestly don't think it has much more power than my DRZ did, maybe just a touch is all. However, in the handling department, holly crap there is no comparison, the KTM is hands down 100% better. If it were not so, I would sell the sucker and go right back to old faithfull DRZ!! As far as adjusting valves goes, guys, it's easier than cake to adjust them on a KTM. In fact I would say, I can have my valves adjusted before most people here could even be into their valves on a DRZ. I wish the japs would take a lesson from KTM and make their bikes as easy to work on!

...but it isn't just the cc's that is causing this to happen, its all of the other supporting mods that go with it. If you put a big bore/stroker setup in a stock S/SM its gonna get smoked... until you add the FCR and Pipe and Cams etc.

...but it isn't just the cc's that is causing this to happen, its all of the other supporting mods that go with it. If you put a big bore/stroker setup in a stock S/SM its gonna get smoked... until you add the FCR and Pipe and Cams etc.

Your spot on, in order for a DRZ to run with a 450/525 KTM you have to invest some serious money. Then your still sitting on a heavier bike that does not handle as well, and that can't be fixed. Crap you can probably make the DRZ smoke a KTM in a straight flat out race. Like I stated earlier though, throw in anything technical and your screwed, the KTM will eat the DRZ. So, that was my dilema a few months back, beef up the DRZ some more and deal with the weight and poor handling, or buy a KTM. Well you know what I did.....

Didn't Suzuki wait 5 years to release the SM version of their DRZ400? KTM already has a line of supermotos, ie 625SMC. KTM is known for having specific bike models, and a 525 supermoto from the factory wouldnt make sense, especially since they already sell a set of supermoto rims for their bikes in the HardParts catelogue.

I stand by what I said.

Furthermore, the 600cc bikes are not Supermoto bikes in the same mode as the 500 cc line. Also in the 600 cc models, they do provide Dual sport Adventure and Supermoto models.

KTM people use this round about logic saying ..."They're in the catalog" so if you want one you can have one.

I say, "If KTM wanted you to have a 525 plateable Supermoto, They would sell it out the door that way" They have a number of Supermoto hogs in their line, but they don't have the dream machine hot setup everyone talks about.

I see very little discussion re. the great and fast 600cc and 900cc models.

Tony

if the drz has the same carb and similair cam profile to the ktm the drz still wins.

time after time these nonsense discussions come up.it is the rider,not the bike.

it does cost money to make a drz fast.thats why it isnt for everyone.alot of people need a reality check of how much power they need.ive built more than one motor lately for people that admitted later they were in way over their head.

the wieght is a different story.not much can be done there,but thats why the drz is durable.

time after time these nonsense discussions come up.it is the rider,not the bike.

Well said, I hope everyone can agree on that... but I'm sure they won't.

On a side note - I was a little suprised about your statement regarding equal carb and cams... who says you can't learn something around here now and again.

I agree, the cc's concept is simple. I also agree that my DRZ didn't have'a pile' of mods, but it had enough to wake it up from stock mode. My whole point here is that the KTM 450/525 out of the box is a faster bike, without doing the 'piles of mods' required of a DRZ. Also, I have nothing bad to say about my DRZ, it just didn't have the punch I wanted. The KTM does, and without having to research millions of ways to make it better.