Sign in to follow this  

Bike for my Gramps? He's 66 and can still get r dun.

I'm pretty stuck on him getting a TTR230. He was riding my uncles 2001 TTR250 and seemed to like it a lot. I have YZ250F. He thought she was pretty dang powerful.

We're talking about a $3000 difference between a TTR and WR. He did mention he didn't want a "mini bike", but I don't want to get him anything that can get him in trouble.

Is the suspension and all THAT much better?

The bike will depend on Grandpa's height, weight, riding ability, speeds ridden and type of riding. The 230 has a 3-1/2" shorter seat height which is great for trails, switchbacks and the like. The 250 4-stroke off-road bikes are better for more serious riding, but Grandpa needs to be either spry, experienced or tall to enjoy its benefits. Grandpa himself should be able to determine what it is that he wants.

That old Kawa 175 was a respectable bike at the time, but had about the same seat height as the 230.

I'm pretty stuck on him getting a TTR230. He was riding my uncles 2001 TTR250 and seemed to like it a lot. I have YZ250F. He thought she was pretty dang powerful.

We're talking about a $3000 difference between a TTR and WR. He did mention he didn't want a "mini bike", but I don't want to get him anything that can get him in trouble.

Is the suspension and all THAT much better?

I thought so. We have a CRF230 my son used to ride, my 250f seems a lot safer to me in the suspension department. Mistakes happen and sometimes I hit things at just the wrong speed at just the wrong time...

TTR230 is a fine bike - nothing wrong with it. Anything with 2 wheels and a motor is fun. Post up what he winds up getting - fathers day is coming up next month, thought there was a grandparents day too about this time of year. :applause:

Grandpa is about 5'10"-5'11" and 210-220. He has a lot of experience on bikes. He used to race MX back in the day. He was even saying "my mind wants me to rip it up an do this, but my body is sayin NOPE"

I don't see him going all too fast. Remember, he just rode a 1980 KDX175 2 stroke and was fine. Talk about bad suspension and all. That bike rides low which I think he likes a bit more. It's easier for him to get off and on.

Grandpa is about 5'10"-5'11" and 210-220. He has a lot of experience on bikes. He used to race MX back in the day. He was even saying "my mind wants me to rip it up an do this, but my body is sayin NOPE"

I don't see him going all too fast. Remember, he just rode a 1980 KDX175 2 stroke and was fine. Talk about bad suspension and all. That bike rides low which I think he likes a bit more. It's easier for him to get off and on.

If your resigned to him getting a CRF230 then do it. But please, for the love of ***, if he is 210 then he is wayyyy over the weight for the stock suspension. Spend the extra $500 and have the proper springs put in for his weight and have the shim stacks rebuilt.

If your resigned to him getting a CRF230 then do it. But please, for the love of ***, if he is 210 then he is wayyyy over the weight for the stock suspension. Spend the extra $500 and have the proper springs put in for his weight and have the shim stacks rebuilt.

He's going to be too stubborn to get that done. The first thing he will say is.. "I'm just messing around on it, I'M NOT GOING TO BE RACING THE DAMN THING"

He's old school man. This new stuff is crazy too him. He'll think it's good enough.

and BTW I think for the most part he wants to go YAM. So the TTR230 would be the choice, not the CRF230. I sat on a CRF 230 and that seat is the most unconfortable pos I've ever felt.

If he's happy riding the old KDX-175 why not rebuild the carb, suspension, fresh'n up the top end, put on some fresh rubber, grips, graphics, polish'r up and let him ride something that he feels comfy and familiar with.

He'd probably be happier than hell to see his old bike refreshed.:applause:

Why get all involved with a new bike if he'll just ride once in awhile or do light trail riding.

If he's happy riding the old KDX-175 why not rebuild the carb, suspension, fresh'n up the top end, put on some fresh rubber, grips, graphics, polish'r up and let him ride something that he feels comfy and familiar with.

He'd probably be happier than hell to see his old bike refreshed.:applause:

Why get all involved with a new bike if he'll just ride once in awhile or do light trail riding.

Too much work is my guess. He mentioned that but we've convinced him to buy new. He'll be riding two weekends a month.

The 230's are beginners and wives bikes. No offense but they are not built for someone your granddad's size. Get him a bike that he won't kill himself on.

I still stand by my earlier suggestion: XR250

Why?

1) Inexpensive to buy and maintain

2) Will fit him size-wise, suspension-wise and power-wise.

One of the best trail bikes ever made. Ask anyone that's ridden one. Even the experts say so.

The 230's are beginners and wives bikes. No offense but they are not built for someone your granddad's size. Get him a bike that he won't kill himself on.

I still stand by my earlier suggestion: XR250

Why?

1) Inexpensive to buy and maintain

2) Will fit him size-wise, suspension-wise and power-wise.

One of the best trail bikes ever made. Ask anyone that's ridden one. Even the experts say so.

They still make XR250's? We're only talking about getting new here.

I haven't read every post here but I feel that the TTR 250 is a great bike. (ride with a guy on one) But I also saw that you "convinced" him to buy new, it will be his bike and it needs to be fun for him. He may have a special feel for the old kdx. Get that kdx running ok and let him ride the ttr back to back with the kdx and then see what happens. I enjoy most bikes but mine are special to me because they are mine.

+1 for the WR250F.

I ride sometimes with a guy who's 63, went from a CRF250X to a KTM 450 EXC, 'cuz the 250X wasn't ballsy enough. :applause:

Age ain't nothin' but a number. The suspension alone on the WRF makes it a much better choice over any 230's.

If he's badass enough to pull up the front tire, he'll quickly tire of a toy bike. Get him a real one.:applause:

I just can’t relate to this post at all. My pop is 72 years old and a grandfather himself. No one can tell how old he is when he’s riding because he's about average speed on the tracks that he practices motocross on. That means he jumps the average double jump and passes all the slow guys. He certainly has as much fun as anyone on the track. Ok, he might still be a little famous for getting into Sports Illustrated a few years ago but it didn't slow him down. They dropped his picture from the online article but he still gets mention. sportsillustrated (Scan down to the last paragraph)

Now, did I mention that he loves his RM450 and plans to get a new one when the ’08s come out.

The moral of this story is.... Don’t automatically choose a girly-mans bike for someone because he is older than you.

--KT--

I raced some setra a few years ago, the 60+ year old class is the first row, and on a 10 mile course they lapped me

they were all on "real" woods bikes, ktm's mostly, I did not see any XR's or TTR's that's for sure

I would look at ktm's 250xc-w, 300 xc-w, 400/450, crf250/450, wr250/450

does he want a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

WR250F, actually the YZ250F ain't much heavier than the 230's.

We have a Greatgrandfather in our motorcycle club and he still motors on his old Yamaha WR500 (early 90's final rendition of the aircooled 490 MX bike)

Depends on grandpas abilities.

PS nothing is a cool as watch a great grand dad teach his great grandson how to ride a 50 (so cool to see!)

Think he's going to go with a '06 CRF230F for $2999.