Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM for 16 yr old??

I'm 17 and I just got a DRZ400sm as my second bike, and started riding on the street when I was 16. It all comes down to maturity; taking it slow and not being cocky. Before you even touch your new bike, take a motorcycle safety course! http://www.msf-usa.org/ I learned a lot from the course and before I took the bike to the street, I used all of the knowledge I got from the course and practiced in empty parking lots. Buy the DRZ, take it slow, and most of all--have fun!

excellent first post:applause:

it does come down to maturity....i myself would not have made proper decisions at that age.hell i dont make proper decisions now:banghead: ....if you can ride up to a group of your friends and blow off thier taunts to show off...i say your ready

....if you can ride up to a group of your friends and blow off thier taunts to show off...i say your ready

Lots of people yell to do wheelies, ignore them. :thumbsup:

Lots of people yell to do wheelies, ignore them. :ride:

Wheelies are not big and they are not clever

But they sure are FUN!!!!:):ride:

however dont do them!!!!:thumbsup:

Lots of people yell to do wheelies, ignore them. :thumbsup:

yep that was my point.

its HARDER to ignore that at 16 0r 17 years of age:prof:

but if YOU can...then ya just might be ready to ride street:ride:

I'm glad I didn't see this thread the first time, when Uncle Bob was calling people nannies... I probably would have replied with a nice personal attack and got banned. :thumbsup:

I will never suggest someone should learn to drive using a bike of any type shape or size. Its just assinine.

Think back to when you were learning to drive, how many times did you mess up? I remember running a stop sign in front of a cop. OOPS. Had a car been coming there would have been two damaged cars... had I been on a bike and a car had been coming, best case it would have been a trip the hospital.

For me, the bottom line is that you really need to learn to drive with a cage around you. Once you have a year or two under your belt, then go buy a bike.

Compared to a ZX-6R, YZF R6, CBR600 RR or any of the liter bikes this is a great bike to start with. Take the safety courses and use your common sense.

My son will be 18 in December. I bought an SM last month for my commute to work and to share with him. He's been riding & racing motocross since he was 10. I sent him through the riders safety course before I let him throw a leg over the bike. We are always talking about situations to avoid and area danger spots. We both gear up every time we ride (Helmet, boots, long pants gloves, & jacket w/CE padding). Even though I feel confidant that I've adequately prepared him, made him aware of every danger that I can envision and done my best to ensure his survival among the idiots, I still worry every time he rides out of sight.

Your Dad has seen the worst that can happen. In his profession, we that ride are known as "organ donors" I believe. If you can tolerate the stress and worry that you will cause him, get the SM, properly prepare yourself as most others have described, gear up and go ride. Just remember though;

they ARE all out to get you!

If its bone stock no problem. wear a helmet. Pay attention to what the posts say about traffic and street use. Cars are oblivious to bikes. Ride like they all want to hit you and dont pay attention to Green lights look all the time like a car will swerve to hit you or cut in front of you. For off road should be no problem.

Get GOOD GEAR! A full Face Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, Boots and some riding pants.

Take the MSF course (or similiar i.e. RidersEdge through Harley Dealer). Take Driver's Ed.

Go get your Motorcycle Endorsement/License and ride smart. you'll be fine on the DRZ.

I had several friends who got Motorcycles as their first vehicles because in Massachusetts at 16 you could get your MC Permit and ride wherever you wanted unlike a Car where you had to have an Adult with you.

Yeah, when I was 16, back in 1976 I had a 1972 Yamaha RD350 that I rode for the first year of high school. I think the DRSM would make a fine first bike to ride on the street. It looks like your problem is going to be convincing the parents. Tough call on that one...Good luck and keep pluggin' away at 'em.

Yeah my parents arent going to be able to get convinced, I realized that yesterday. So for now I'm just gonna wait till I'm 18... and can sign the papers on my own!!! lol

btw.. i juss applied for a job today.. im a food runner.. wish me luck lol

A job shows responsibility. My dad rode motorcycles since he was very young, but wouldn't let me have one, even though thats what I wanted all my childhood. When I turned 18 and was moving off to college, they bought me gear for my graduation present. :thumbsup: I was extremely excited, although I had to wait WAY too long for me to get it. I bought my bike a month later and my dad rode the congested miles away from the city then let me ride the lonely straight miles closer to home. I don't know what changed, but they realized how much it meant to me. Hope yours do the same, hopefully sooner than mine did.

I started riding in the dirt when i was 13. started riding on the street when i was 15, with out a license (F*** da police!:thumbsup: ). My street ride was a DR350S. I did take a saftey class when i was 16 but i didnt really learn any thing from it. most of what i learned came from experiance and video games. Start slow and youll be fine.

Yeah my parents arent going to be able to get convinced, I realized that yesterday.

Good for your parents. Now go out there and show responsibility behind a wheel for a year and then try to get a bike. I have a feeling that if you can prove to be a ticket and accident free driver for a year it will go a long ways with them. Of course, if you can't do that well...

When I turned 16 I hit the streets with a Honda SL125, which I had been riding offroad for a couple years. It was a great dual sport for that year, and for my size then. But shortly after that I jumped to a BMW 600, which took a LOT of adjustment for me. If the DRZ had been available then, I think it would have been the perfect bike for a 16/17 year old.

I have always recommended riding a few years on the dirt before you hit 16, so that controlling the bike becomes "programmed", and you can spend the other 98% of your brain power focusing on the cagers. If you're just now starting out riding at 16, get a set of dirt tires and ride the DRZ offroad every chance you get.

Learn what hitting the dirt feels like at 20 mph, you'll have a great appreciation for pavement at 60 mph.

ive hit the dirt at 60mph and i know road rash doesnt feel too good:prof:

lol

thanks for all the replies

oo btw.. i have ridden off road.. everyday for a year.. ooo lovely dirtbike of mine how fun it is to ride you lmao

( i had to quite due to financial reasons )

My 01 S was my first motorcycle at 16. Before that I rode my bicycle the 3 miles across downtown to school each day. That showed me cars don’t stop for smaller lighter things on the road reliably having been hit once. I had driven my little brothers PW 80 a few times but the DRZ was a major step up in power. I really would not want to learn to drive with it in any size of a town. I drove a car for over a year before I took the MSF basic class and got my M licensee. So far I have only crashed the DRZ on road one time. It was a lowside at about 30 on a banked corner. There was no real damage to me or the bike due to having all my gear on. I did not use it much only 4 to 5k on road a year. I have been able to take the DRZ anywhere my friends go they have KLR 650’s and some Honda dual sports. It is good for the short 10 mile trip to work and back I have now.

As far as only driving a bike I would not. Hauling all your moto gear around school will suck been there done that. It was cool to have to go to a friend’s house taking it slow on good weather days but you cannot really carry another person or much stuff. You will be around a lot of new drivers the closer you get to school and will only make it worse.

I was glad to have it but I chose to drive a car normally.

I would recommend getting the S and ride it off road. Practice like you were on road for a year while you drive a car. Then take the class and go slow from there. I have seen some really messed up people that have crashed and lost limbs and major skin removal. It definitely keeps me from trying anything on the road at speed. I will keep my wheelies and jumps to nice grass covered dirt.

At 21 I upgraded to a DL 1000 for the long 70 mile drive to college. I use the DRZ about once a week now. On the DL I have not had an incident on road with it yet and hope I never do because picking a 400+ lbs bike in the mud sucks.

You really do have to watch out on the road as I have had to brake and swerve or brake and honk on many occasions on the road.

I have never crashed a car on the road but most of my friend in high school did. A lot of them would have been killed if they were on bikes. I would really hope you learn to drive with a nice cage of metal around you for a while first.

I was 17 when I bought my first bike. It was stupid. It was an 1985 Yamaha XJ700X Maxim-X. I rode it to work (lifegaurding) W/ flip flops and a tank top on. Also the gas tank leaked. I Didn't realize how stupid I was.

I'm 20 now. I still have the maxim (it's for sale) and a 400SM. I always ride w/ long pants boots helmet jacket and gloves. Though none besides the helmet are motorcycle Specific I still have some protection.

I took the safty course that helped a lot.

Stay safe and think smart.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who did stupid things like that, but I want to be one of the last.

i rode my dirtbike in flipflops one time and almost got my foot cought up in the tire.. thats my stupid mistake soo far lol

I have never crashed a car on the road but most of my friend in high school did. A lot of them would have been killed if they were on bikes. I would really hope you learn to drive with a nice cage of metal around you for a while first.

Great first post.. I think maybe too many of the older guys around here don't remember how bad of drivers they were back in the day. I have a habit of forgetting my mistakes as well.