Filter screen

I was going to cut out my backfire screen on my bike the other day but I figured I'd ask some of use guys that have done it if it makes a damn bit of differance.

According to the crew that worked over Doug Henry's '03 YZ450 SM ride, they tried a number of different air box configurations, including the two-stroke filter cage, and removing the screen had no measurable effect. Their conclusion was that the filter is more restrictive than the screen is, and my own tests have had the same results.

If you succumb to the folklore and try it anyway, I'd advise against cutting out the screen, as there is a risk of a loose piece of wire falling out of it. Better to just buy the cage from a YZ125/250.

better us a backfire proof filter one of the y.o.t bike burned to the ground because they just used a two stroke cage an a normal filter.

No there is no gain what so ever, maybe a tiny bit, but not enough to feel. I suggest keeping it on, cause a simple backfire can cause the filter to catch on fire, especially with the filter oil (flammable )

on my 03 I use the twinair powerfilter cage (no wire) and fireproof element....it does breathe a little better - there is no worry of this filter catching fire -

Use the TwinAir black filter and dump the screen. Probably will not notice a difference, but it's a little less weight and hassle.

on my 03 I use the twinair powerfilter cage (no wire) and fireproof element....it does breathe a little better
Any improvement in breathing would have come from the filter itself. Twin Airs do flow a little better than some others, and I have seen dyno results that show nearly 1 full hp on a 450 going from a stock element to a Twin Air or White Bros. Either of these is still more restrictive than the flame screen.
... it's a little less weight and hassle.
That's funny. Hassle? :applause: