Aviation fuel in bike, good or bad?

Stock form it will probaly run fine on 87 but many Honda's I've owned will tend to ping when lugging them uphills or when the engine gets hotter. Using premium is all you need to cure that. There is no reason to run anything higher than premium on a Stock XR250L.

I'll check my owners manual for the L this weekend for what Honda recommended. I think it was 87 or 89.

Here's some basic info on avgas.

www.osbornauto.com/racing/race2avgas.htm

After Reading that you may need this link:

http://www.thumper-racing.net/XR250R280cc.html :applause:

With the money you saved on the bike you could go for the 280 kit. (XR250Ls in my area go for as much as $2000-2300 just because of the plate, when a similar year XR250R goes for $1200.)

Here's some facts about 100LL (practically the only aviation gasoline available anymore) from ChevronTexico: Aviation Fuel Technical Review PDF. Chapter 7-11 are about aviation gasoline. Here's another one about pump gasoline to help put things into context: Motor Fuels Technical Review PDF.

Most of the characteristics of 100LL that could negatively affect performance in our motorcycle engines are just as bad OR WORSE for pump gas. I'd suggest paying particular attention to the distillation curves and distillation specifications for various fuels. Take a look at the figures for 100LL, pump gas, and then look at some race gas. VP's C12 might be a good all-around example to compare with (you can get the spec sheets from VP's website).

Beyond those comments, I'm tempted to just say what I think--but then I'd just be another guy on the Internet with an opinion about gasoline. I've been burned by that guy too many times! Plus, it would take me forever to outline everything I think is important. :applause: My bottom line is I think most folks will be better served by putting in the time to learn what the various fuel specifications are and what they actually mean for you and your engine.

Remember, whichever fuel you choose to run: confirm the jetting everytime you switch fuels! Many folks are led astray by their own fuel experiments by not rejetting appropriately for each fuel....

Good luck! :applause: