230 miles on a stock seat.

You guys made it sound like you can't ride that far on the stock seat. I just did 230 miles on my first trip on my DRZ. Rode from 10am - 4pm. Wore my best Italian cycling shorts. I had a sore butt of course but it wasn't that bad. I still think I will get a better seat but I may not have to once I break my butt into this saddle. You guys might need to invest in some good cycling shorts .

I'm with you.

Not the shorts part, but the feeling that the stock seat just isn't all that bad.

I've got a boney ass and have a hard time sitting on a wooden bench for more than 1/2 hr. but,If I fold up a towel and sit on the bench with that under me I'm good.

So, since the seat has some padding, it's fine for me.

Tony

I make sure and spend some time standing while riding, (even on the street, backroads of course) and do some stretching at gas stops. The first few times I rode for several hours the pain was almost unbearable. I have a spare seat that I've been thinking about making wider toward the rear, but with 4 bikes to maintain, I don't have much time to complete extra projects. Hopefully, my son will be able to maintain his own soon.

My stock seat is incredible... every once in awhile I get a gust of wind in my garage. Without that stock seat sitting on top of it, my service manual could very well get blown off the shelf and fall on the floor.

You guys made it sound like you can't ride that far on the stock seat. I just did 230 miles on my first trip on my DRZ. Rode from 10am - 4pm. Wore my best Italian cycling shorts. I had a sore butt of course but it wasn't that bad. I still think I will get a better seat but I may not have to once I break my butt into this saddle. You guys might need to invest in some good cycling shorts .

How many miles did you do on the second day? That's my problem. I can survive the first day with bike shorts, but climbing on the next day is the tough part. I have one of the Walmart ATV pads and the combination of it and bike shorts makes mulitday rides okay. Or at least it did the first time I tried it out.

This was my first day out on the bike. I didn't do a second day but I felt better then I did when I used to do multi day cycling rides. Not great but doable. A nicer seat would make the bike better. In my view it doesn't need to be wider, it just needs to not have that sharp edge that hits the bone hard due to that hard edge.

My stock seat is incredible... every once in awhile I get a gust of wind in my garage. Without that stock seat sitting on top of it, my service manual could very well get blown off the shelf and fall on the floor.

:applause:

I have my stock one and it's not too bad. Don't like the looks of the aftermarket ones either. As long as you stand and slide around everyonce in a while it's not too bad. I like the support for off road too:thinking:

I ordered the Suzuki "low gel seat" just a couple days after buying the bike. The stock one felt terrible... the hardness, the narrowness, the edges cutting into my legs. However, by the time the gel seat arrived (~3 weeks) I had gotten used to the stock seat. I still but the gel seat on (it is lower and I'm 5'7") and I like how it is rounded on the sides. The stock one is not so bad anymore so I'm keeping it as a back-up. I wouldn't tell a prospective DRZ buyer that you MUST replace the seat.

I purchased my 07 SM and with it I order a Gel seat, 1" lower, its pretty pricey (170), at the time it was worth it, but if money is tight, its not worth it. I rode both stock seat and Gel seat, not a whole lot of difference, maybe a little. I'm 5'7" and I rolled my shock spring just about all the way up and with the seat 1" lower, I can touch the ground. Seat comfort though...Now if the gel seat were under a hundred, I'd say jump on it...its a close call....