Sign in to follow this  

How to get to jets and feul screw, HELP!

I just purchased an adjustable fuel screw and the JD jetting kit. The JD is still in the mail so I haven't tried to change the jets yet, But I went out to change out the fuel screw and I am not sure how to get to the old one. The directions say to rotate the carb to gain access to it, but on my 2006 wr there is too much stuff in the way to rotate it anywhere. Do I have to take a bunch of stuff off the bike? Help!!!!!!!!

You can just use a really small flat head screw driver to get it out. That way you don't have to rotate the carb at all.

yeah there will be a screw then spring then washer and oring but the oring may stay up there so just watch out. to get to the jets rotate the carb and take an long 8 mm socket and pull the main out

I can't see under there, do you just reach in blind?

Yep, there will be what looks to be a hole on the bottom of the bowl, (towards the front of the bike, and centered from side to side) about 1/2" up there is the fuel screw with a flat head on it. Stick your screwdriver up there and slowly turn it until you feel it grab, then screw the fuel screw out. Make sure you don't loose the spring, washer or o-ring, you'll need to put them on you adjustable fuel screw. Once you do that, just put in your adjustable screw, and you're good to go.

Well I am half way there! I have two WRs in the family mine and my wifes. I now have an adjustable fuel screw on mine by just putting the screw driver in blind, but when I tried to repeat the process on my wifes bike I found out the the dealer left the plug over the fuel screw hole on her bike. Now what? It seems I am going to have to rotate the carb. I loosened the clamps on both sides but I can't rotate it because of all of the stuff in the way. Any suggestions?

Seems like you should be able to use a pick or something to pop the plug out. I've never seen one with a plug though, so I can't tell you for sure.

i believe the factory leaves a tiny bit of metal covering the hole. i think it needs to be drilled out. i am not positive, but i think you just have to remove the float bowl to drill it out and access the fuel screw.

Well I am half way there! I have two WRs in the family mine and my wifes. I now have an adjustable fuel screw on mine by just putting the screw driver in blind, but when I tried to repeat the process on my wifes bike I found out the the dealer left the plug over the fuel screw hole on her bike. Now what? It seems I am going to have to rotate the carb. I loosened the clamps on both sides but I can't rotate it because of all of the stuff in the way. Any suggestions?

Remove the float bowl using a 3mm Allen wrench (it might be Philips head screws for the newer WRs, I'm not sure), the oval hole at the front of the bowl is where the fuel screw will go into (see the bottom of the picture below) - you'll have to slide the bowl down while going a little forward to remove the bowl. Stick a punch in that oval hole and knock the plug out so that you can install the new fuel screw.

TN_IMGP4620.JPG

When done it should look like the picture below:

TN_IMGP4057.JPG

While you have the bowl out, change any of the jets that you may need to change - i.e. LJ, MJ and PJ.

Here is the link for changing the LJ (Leak Jet): :applause:

http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:9296/06YZ250F/leak_jet/index.html

So I tried to remove the cap from the bootom of the hole to the fuel screw by prying it our with a screw but it is too stuborn, so I guess I am going to have to figure out how to rotate the carb...

you do need to drill a small hole in the brass plug over the screw then use a small screw driver to pop it out

It sometimes helps if you remove the hot start and pull it clear. Should give you enough room to rotate the carb. 14mm spanner on black plastic cover....just be careful you don't strip the thread.

On top of the carb ...left side of bike there is a cable entering which is retained by a black plastic cover. Unscrew this and pull out the cable. This is the hot start. To reassemble push it back in and tighten...but not too much. Hope this helps.

Easiest way to rotate the carb is to loosen the rubber boots that connect to the carb on the engine and airbox sides. Then simply wiggle the carb out of the boots. It will then drop away a little bit and you will be able to rotate it enough to take off the bowl without impacting the hot start.

You might have some difficulty getting the screws loose that connect the bowl to the rest of the carb. I did and ended up having to take the carb off. With a little luck you'll be OK.

Thanks everyone with your help I was able to rotate the carb and put in my new fuel screw. I shot some video I will post it tomorrow.

Thanks

Jeremy