Sign in to follow this  

Switching from a BREMBO Hydraulic Clutch to a Magura

I'm thinking of switching from a Brembo Hydraulic Clutch to a Magura Hydraulic Clutch system for my 2007 ktm 250 exc-f. This model has a Brembo Hydraulic clutch system. WHy? I would not know. Sourcing out the lever for this system is a pain. There seems to be a problem in ktm's supply chain.

Now, here's my other dilema.

1. The brembo system uses DOT 4 fluid while Magura uses Mineral oil

2. Will it just be a plain and simple master cylinder swap and draining the old DOT4 fluid out and replacing it with mineral oil?

3. Or would this be a total system change?:)

Any inputs would be greatlly appreciated

All I can confirm is that if you put rubber parts designed for brake fluid into oil they get real big & slimmy!

SO I would be tempted to buy the Oring for the clutch and toss it in brake fluid and see if that is compatable. (I think it is going that way)

The 4 strokes have all been Brembo going back to 2000, I beleive the 2 strokes switched from Brembo to Margura about 05? So there are gobs of bikes out there with either setup, should be plenty of replacement pieces so maybe your just stuck as the dealers listing does not show your bike? Tell him its an 04 450 and I bet his listing shows what you need

Dave

I think you got that backwards the USA 4T's were all Magura until the 07 EXCs which came with the Brembo complete clutch system (ie Master cylinder, lever, clutch line, and a new slave cylinder, etc.). So you have a system of parts that are designed to work with brake fluid and are designed to work with each other (ie piston diameter of the MC and slave, etc). The Brembo slave has a much better bleed set up than the Magura.

The 2T's have been running the Brembo set up for the last couple of years so parts should be available.

This whole parts situation with KTM right now is pathetic and a real problem for those of us who like to modify and work on these bikes.

Cheers

Clark