Sign in to follow this  

Moving to NJ from CA - need advice

I have a job offer in NJ that I am considering.... hard to think about leaving CA, but the offer is pretty good.

One consideration is where would I ride in NJ?

The company is in Matawan....

What are some interesting towns to look at for renting a house/townhouse? I need a garage for the toys, and I want to rent for a bit while I decide where to buy - or move back to CA.... any towns with easy access to mountain biking, and not too bad as far as getting the dirt bikes out?

Thanks

Don't do it there is only one legal spot to ride in NJ. There are plenty of illegal spots but I"m not saying.

Don't do it there is only one legal spot to ride in NJ. There are plenty of illegal spots but I"m not saying.

What if the bike is plated? I got it plated before the 2004 cutoff in CA... will it transfer to NJ?

You guys aren't painting a positive picture....

How about nearby states - Pennsylvania? New York? Mainly, I'm interested in trail riding.... what about the Pine Barrens?

Thanks

If you are licensed, insured, and registered you can ride any state property from what I understand. If you are plated you're set.

I have a job offer in NJ that I am considering.... hard to think about leaving CA, but the offer is pretty good.

One consideration is where would I ride in NJ?

The company is in Matawan....

What are some interesting towns to look at for renting a house/townhouse? I need a garage for the toys, and I want to rent for a bit while I decide where to buy - or move back to CA.... any towns with easy access to mountain biking, and not too bad as far as getting the dirt bikes out?

Thanks

If you're looking to rent, there are plenty of places around Matawan and in Monmouth and Middlesex. FWIW, the shore is very close to Matawan and there are plenty of place to rent down there is you like the beach.

As for mt. biking.....Hartshorn is 10 to 15 min from Matawan and the place rocks. There is also Cheesquake Park (town over from Matawan) but that better for the quick ride/workout. Also, quite a few other places in North NJ and they are about an hour away.

If you do decide to rent in Matawan/Old Bridge, Raceway Park has MX practice days on every Wed, Fri, Sat & Sun ($40/day).

dont do it. this place blows. even though you live in Kountry Kalifornia, it's still probably better there as far as riding goes.

I moved from Orange County to Eastern PA last June. I work in Newark, but only have to make the drive about twice a week. I mostly race/ride motocross, but there is plenty of that in this area. It is quite a change from California, but there are many benefits as well. I guess it matters what is important to you. We finally bought a house here after renting and looking for a year. I am glad we waited as we found a great place. I did have to give up my dream of having enough property to build my own track, but like I said, there are plenty of places to moto.

any towns with easy access to mountain biking, and not too bad as far as getting the dirt bikes out?

As far as dirt bikes the other covered the closet spots, plus there are a few in PA such as Tower City. As for mountain biking, down by Matawan is pretty flat but further up north is Diablo Mountain Bike Park, Ringwood, Ramapo Mountain, and bunch of other places. Mountain biking is a bit more accessible and definitely NJ has some of the most technical and challenging trails on the East Coast and in the US. I am a freerider and downhiller and have been out west and all across the states and I believe you will not be dissappointed. What we lack in quantity we make up with quality. Be sure to buy good body armor.

As far as dirt bikes the other covered the closet spots, plus there are a few in PA such as Tower City. As for mountain biking, down by Matawan is pretty flat but further up north is Diablo Mountain Bike Park, Ringwood, Ramapo Mountain, and bunch of other places. Mountain biking is a bit more accessible and definitely NJ has some of the most technical and challenging trails on the East Coast and in the US. I am a freerider and downhiller and have been out west and all across the states and I believe you will not be dissappointed. What we lack in quantity we make up with quality. Be sure to buy good body armor.

1.......DO NOT sell the dirtbike! There are plenty of places to ride. Of course they are illegal, but still......

I've been riding north Jersey for 20 years now , and until they throw me in prison and hack my bike to pieces, I'll keep on riding.

2.......you have a mountain bike too? I understand Vernon has an awesome downhill setup. I see the mtn bikers heading up there every weekend.

Thanks for all the input....

How long is the riding season? Or do you crazy east coasters ride in the snow with studded tires....

Hey Tonto - do you miss the desert riding in SoCal???? I just got back from a long weekend in Borrego Springs - what a blast!!! And Mojave in March....

If you are licensed, insured, and registered you can ride any state property from what I understand. If you are plated you're set.

+1

I ride down in Wharton State forest and in Assupink and no one bothers me. :)

For most of the guys I ride with the season is all year except if there is snow on the ground. When it does snow it usually does't last too long.

I grew up just south of Matawan and the only "legal" place to ride that is close to you is Englishtown and that is an MX track. The other places in Jersey like the ORVP are about and hour + from you and I believe it is about $40 a day. If you don't mind the drive you could come up to Connecticut and give Thomaston Dam (about 2hrs from Matawan and it's free to ride) a try. You will get to experience some good ol' Northeast style rocks & roots :) I am also an avid mountain biker and there are a TON of places to ride here. Don't get discouraged. I know it's not CA, but it could be worse.

So now we're getting some positive feedback....

I grew up in NY - but have been in CA for the past 14 years, i've been riding for 10+ years and off-roading for about 2 years.

In 2 years I've ridden in Death Valley, Mojave, and various other California deserts, the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Moab and Colorado... Until this job came up I was planning a trip to Baja and Copper Canyon in Mexico this summer, and I've been wanting to go back to Moab (what an amazing place for dirt bikes, mountain bikes, rafting... whatever you want to do). Not to mention that I have 3 OHV parks (off-highway vehicle) within an hours drive (one is 10 miles away), and 3 more national forests open to OHVs within 2 hours drive... not too bad here.

I feel like I must be crazy to be weighing job and career advancement against my hobbies....

If I where to pick where I live??? I would move to Red Bank! It is on the upswing from years ago and it has real restaurants.

Long Branch, they just redid along the water but if you rent here you will be in LONG BRANCH

Asbury Park, WOW it is on the rebound, how could a shore town like this be deep in despair for so long. it does get a little scary but atleast people are walking around on the busy streets between clubs and rest...