Sign in to follow this  

'06 - '07 300 XC Questions

I've read a lot of 300 XC comments, but had a couple of questions:

1) What rider weight does the '06 300 XC seem to be sprung for?

2) Like everyone else, I've read many "KTM suspension" threads. Does the stock suspension seem to do well for sand, deep sandy whoops and hardpack?

3) For someone accustomed to Honda, what are the top 3 KTM "quirks"?

4) Do many people swap the 36 mm for a 38 mm PWK?

5) What year was the shock mount relocated on the swingarm?

Thanks.

Yeah, been through that. Still looking for a bit more detail.

07 has better suspension valving for most people

like EVERY bike out there, the suspension works better when revalved for rider skill and terrain it will be used for

the ktm shock spring is only good for +- 10 pounds odds are slim it will work stock for you

#1- 170lbs, #5-first year linkless was 98.
According to a magazine review that I can't find (MXA??), the shock attachment point on the swingarm was moved to change the effective rising rate in either '06 or '07... Anybody recall which year?

I just got an 07 300 XCW and thought the transition from my long time Honda enduro couch would be difficult. I took me about 10 minutes to get used to the bike and it just gets better every time I ride it. I am a bit heavy for the way this bike is sprung but it still works pretty darn well. This bike works better in the whoops and rocks the faster you ride. My only complaint is that the forks seem a bit harsh in the slow speed hack. I plan on a re-valve and new springs in the near future. The guys I know who bought the XC re-valved immediately because the SX components seemed to be valved way too harsh. I like the way the bike is carbureted and it seemed to be jetted perfect for me. I also like the 60-70 mile range with the stock tank. The thing that bugs me the most is the gas cap design. :)

According to a magazine review that I can't find (MXA??), the shock attachment point on the swingarm was moved to change the effective rising rate in either '06 or '07... Anybody recall which year?

the 300's have not witnessed that change yet, the 07 SX bikes did. The 08 off road bikes will get the new frame, swingarm and shock design.

The jap bikes are more lenient on susp setup. The KTM has to be dialed in for your weight to work well. Once set up, it is on line with the others. KTM has a strange, to me, bar bend. The first thing I do when I get a new bike is swap out the bars for a set of YZ bend Renthals. KTM 2 strokes seem to have a little more vibration than others, which I only notice when sitting on the bike idling.

If you are looking for the latest susp design and a great off road bike, consider the SX for 07, the new shock angle makes for a very compliant rear, especially with a progressive spring. Or, you can wait for the 08's, you are only a few more months away, and they are coming with electric start.

If you are looking for the latest susp design and a great off road bike, consider the SX for 07, the new shock angle makes for a very compliant rear, especially with a progressive spring. Or, you can wait for the 08's, you are only a few more months away, and they are coming with electric start.
Thanks for the info. I've decided that I want 300 cc for the type of riding I do. I considered buying the 250SX and upgrading it to a 300SX, but I think I'll stick with the 300XC. And it sounds like waiting on '08 may not be a bad thing.

Thanks for the info. I've decided that I want 300 cc for the type of riding I do. I considered buying the 250SX and upgrading it to a 300SX, but I think I'll stick with the 300XC. And it sounds like waiting on '08 may not be a bad thing.

yes, 08 will be a good year. you off road guys get to finally see what us SX bike riders have been raving about. The 300XC is a sweet bike, too. Came real close to tradin for one before I got the SX. If I had had an XC instead of a W, I probably would still have that bike.

it will be worth waiting for, there is that much difference.

I recently came off of a 01' CR 250 and am riding an 07' 300 xc. The 300 rides out of the box like my revalved CR. I ride enduros and love the bike. I agree that the 300 needs to be dialed in for your weight. I have had my bike revalved and am still working on the right combo - sag, clicker settings.