Sign in to follow this  

Which fork springs for 650???

Gang

I put Eibach .46's on the 02 DR650 yesterday. Improved.... we'll see how much. I gotta do similar on my 97 and I'm curious about other springs... sonic straights or Progressives from X, Y, or Z ????

Just wondering if any of you tried Eibach's then switched to something else and had better results.... I'd like to not do everything EXACTLy the same on both bikes.

as noted elsewhere, i also wonder if they changed the rear shock 97 versus 02?? the 97 feels a good deal squishier, even though they both have very low mileage.... 1700 on the 02, 3000 on the 97. Anyone have a clue??

got get all this sorted out then put panniers on for trip...

z

I put Racetech straight rates .46 on mine with emulators. I got a good deal as the son works for a dealership. Vast improvement over stock with some adjustability with the emulators, easy install. The back is next, heavier spring may be all I need.

I put the Eibocks on too and kind of wondered if progressive springs would have worked better for me.

Then I put the racetech emulators in with 15W oil and am totally impressed with the handling. Amazing difference. The race tech valves are fantastic.

guess I'll have to check out the emulators then.

using 15w oil and emulators.... and what rate spring if I may ask?? or your weight?

Oh boy, I think the springs are 46's???

I'm 6'1 235lbs.

Also set my front fork preload to 20mm when I installed the emulators. I have a safari tank and my gut to consider up front....

If your 235lbs, then you would go much better with some .52's if you can get them and to back off the preload to about 5-8mm. This will give you a much better ride over bumps and the bike will feel stiffer and will also resist bottoming better, especially in g-outs.

Jesse recommended .47 fronts and a 7.6 rear for my 200lbs (+25 lbs of gear). I've only been off road once with the DR650 since but the rates seemed about right as long as I didn't push the envelope, which would cause kick up on the whoops due to the inadequate stock rebound damping. On balance, well worth the cost of the springs and the time for installation. If I used the DR a lot off road, instead of less than 30%, I'd consider the emulators and Gold Valve.