To rekluse or not to rekluse

Renman's Wifey here:

So I rode my first trail ride on my new CRF 150RB and it was the funnest ride I have ever been on. I feel like such a better rider on this bike than my old 230F. Now I did stall it like a million times but I could tackle much more difficult terrain than I ever could have handled on the 230.

But here is the dilemma:

My husband has the rekluse clutch on his bike and loves it. And although I did much better on this ride I did hold up the guys with all the stalling. So my hsband thinks I should definately get the rekluse. I kind of want to get better using my clutch before i give it a try. So what do you gals think. Should I get the rekluse and not look back or should I hold off and get used to the bike first?

Also I feel a little like the rekluse might be cheating kinda and even if I get better the guys will just atribute my progress to the rekluse.- is this stupid or realistic?

I kind of want to get better using my clutch before i give it a try.

that's what i would do. it won't take long before you stop stalling your bike. i'd rather learn skills than buy gadgets anyday, and once you learn better clutch skills, you'll still be able to buy the gadget if you really feel like it.

I agree with Velo.....learn how to effectively use the clutch first, that will make you a better rider. Once you are a better rider if you still want the rekluse then it will make you an even better rider.

Renman's Wifey here:

So I rode my first trail ride on my new CRF 150RB and it was the funnest ride I have ever been on. I feel like such a better rider on this bike than my old 230F. Now I did stall it like a million times but I could tackle much more difficult terrain than I ever could have handled on the 230.

But here is the dilemma:

My husband has the rekluse clutch on his bike and loves it. And although I did much better on this ride I did hold up the guys with all the stalling. So my hsband thinks I should definately get the rekluse. I kind of want to get better using my clutch before i give it a try. So what do you gals think. Should I get the rekluse and not look back or should I hold off and get used to the bike first?

Also I feel a little like the rekluse might be cheating kinda and even if I get better the guys will just atribute my progress to the rekluse.- is this stupid or realistic?

I have had them recommended to me over and over. I simply can't justify the cost when you figure it's free except for the gas and oil you'd buy anyway to just practice more.

I have not put any "gadgets" as velo says on my bike aside from bark busters, replacing stuff I broke and a trail tech computer. I'd rather save the $$ for riding trips.

Keep practicing!

Once you are a better rider if you still want the rekluse then it will make you an even better rider.

well, it might make you stall slightly less, lol.

Sorry Mark, but I disagree. The Rekluse will make your CRF a more enjoyable motorcycle, and it will help you to become a better rider. Ask Ty Davis, he uses one. Let somebody try and tell Ty that he's only good cause he has a Rekluse...

Get one, and don't look back. Or, you may have to look back, to see which way the guys want to go when you come to a fork in the trail!

There are no "rules" to trail riding, so how could it be cheating? Is it cheating to get your suspension done? How about putting a big bore kit on your bike, is that cheating? Ooooh, and how about that steering stabalizer? I'm SURE that's cheating!

Sorry Mark, but I disagree. The Rekluse will make your CRF a more enjoyable motorcycle, and it will help you to become a better rider. Ask Ty Davis, he uses one. Let somebody try and tell Ty that he's only good cause he has a Rekluse...

just cuz you and ty like the auto-clutch doesn't mean it'll make motorcycling better for everyone. i've tried one on several occasions, and while it has benefits, those benefits are not particularly important to me, and not worth the expense and the additional hassle. there are other riders far more skilled than i will ever be who feel the same way.

there is no 'one-size-fits-all' in this matter, just like different riders prefer different suspension adjustments, or different handlebar bends. for some reason, the people that like auto-clutches seem to be unable to conceive of the thought that someone else might not be interested.

btw, ty is old, and gets his butt kicked every week by people who don't use a rekluse, so he might not be the best example to use, lol.

btw, ty is old

Like, older than you?

Like, older than you?

he uses a rekluse, so i at least know he *feels* older than me, lol.

hey!! :)

he uses a rekluse, so i at least know he *feels* older than me, lol.

hey!! :ride:

he must be near death, then.

happy monday :)

Funny thing, a friend of mine put a Rekluse on her bike and swore she was faster. Didn't seem like it to me as I passed her on the first section of the last race that was wide enough to pass on.

To me, learning how to use a clutch is part of learning how to ride. I got my daughter off of the auto bike as quick as I could so she could learn how to use the clutch.

If you are riding the 150 on the trails, gearing it down may help with the stalling. I had my 5hunny geared way down for a few years, now it's geared back up a bit. Still not as tall as stock but closer and I rarely stall on tight tech.

I rarely stalled on 5 MOH even and it doesn't get much more tech than that.

I would say that learning to use the clutch properly is very important.

BUT... after you know how to ride a bike with a clutch.... Go ahead if you want and get a rekluse. I LOVE MINE!!!!!

Its just like any other part on the bike. You add aftermarket parts to make the bike more enjoyable to ride. Tall seats/cut seats, suspension, different bars, exhausts, barkbusters so your hands don't get hit with branches. I see the rekluse as the same. Is it cheating as some would say.... sure.... But if it makes the bike easier AND more enjoyable to ride and can afford it.... WHO CARES!!!! Its your bike and you have to ride it.

Isn't that kind of like cheating????

Isn't that kind of like cheating????

so is riding a bike with suspension. what are ya? a wuss or something that ya have to have springs? :)

note that an auto clutch means you can't bumpstart your bike. that would be a bit of an annoyance to me.

note also that unless you pop for the extra $$ for the clutch override and keep your clutch lever, you are somewhat susceptible to disaster if your throttle sticks. i have had throttles stick on several different bikes, and while i've always been able to pull in the clutch (i usually ride with a finger on the clutch lever) and hit the kill button, i'm not sure if i could find the kill button in time if there were no clutch lever.

note also that for some people, part of the attraction of dirtbiking is the challenge and focus, the requirement that you do many different things at once to make it all work. for those people, the attraction of an auto-clutch is not really obvious.

note also that some people don't really stall much, so an auto-clutch seems like an answer to a question they're not asking. if you can ride up virtually anything that is normally considered rideable w/o an autoclutch, what is the point in buying one?

note also that if i were racing a non-estart 4-stroke, like a yz450f, i would almost certainly get an auto clutch because the cost of stalling a 4-stroke in a race is much much higher than the cost of stalling a 2-stroke. for me the most common problem is stalling coming into a turn with too much rear brake and not enough clutch. on a 2-stroke, i don't really even notice that because as soon as i let off the brake the engine fires right up. the 4-stroke tends to just skid to a halt and give me a perplexed look, wondering when i'm going to learn how to ride a heavy slow easy-to-stall expensive bike (i.e., a 4-stroke). i would also make darned sure i had my kill button situated where i could get to it easily.

lmao!

Yer just full of notes today that did indeed answer my question.

note also that for some people, part of the attraction of dirtbiking is the challenge and focus, the requirement that you do many different things at once to make it all work. for those people, the attraction of an auto-clutch is not really obvious.

For me, I'm always up for the challenge. The auto clutch has thrown in a new set of challenges for me....like on really tight switchbacks I can't put it in gear and not have it roll away from me. It free wheels (yes 5 guys had to help me get out of a bind on Sat) :)

note also that some people don't really stall much, so an auto-clutch seems like an answer to a question they're not asking. if you can ride up virtually anything that is normally considered rideable w/o an autoclutch, what is the point in buying one?

The only reason I bought one is because I broke my left wrist really bad and I was finding that the older I get the less I could do long, hard rides. The auto clutch allows me to ride loooong rides multiple days in a row.

I do still believe that a person should learn how to use the clutch before installing an auto clutch.

If you didn't learn how to use the clutch first it would kinda be like putting a steering stabilizer on before you set your suspension up for you....putting a bandaid on it.

Renman's Wifey here:

But here is the dilemma:

The Rekluse for the 150 is the new Pro model. What this means is that you keep your clutch lever and it feels just like a stock clutch. What this means is that you basically have two-clutches-in-one to use at your discretion: the auto clutch and the conventional clutch.

If you have the $, by all means get one. Like many have mentioned here, there have been amazing improvements in bikes over the last 35 years, and we're all reaping the benefits. There aren't too many people refusing to use power valves or the latest suspension technology because it's "cheating."

Well ... hmm. I actually like having to use my clutch. But if you have the cash and that's what you really want, then go for it.

If you have the $, by all means get one. Like many have mentioned here, there have been amazing improvements in bikes over the last 35 years, and we're all reaping the benefits. There aren't too many people refusing to use power valves or the latest suspension technology because it's "cheating."

You know it's funny when all the bike advancements are used to justify rekluses. Power valves and suspension improved on deficiencies in the bike, a rekluse deals with a deficiency in the rider whether it be skill, strength or endurance. Now I can see the attraction of the device, I was REALLY thinking hard on one this weekend while clutching the crap out of my YZ125 at 8K feet. If I was in better conditioning and rode smoother I wouldn't have had as many problems but the rekluse would allow me to bypass that growth. It sure is tempting... except I'm cheap :)