To rekluse or not to rekluse

You know it's funny when all the bike advancements are used to justify rekluses. Power valves and suspension improved on deficiencies in the bike, a rekluse deals with a deficiency in the rider whether it be skill, strength or endurance.

that is an excellent point, but i think in your case it would also be dealing with a deficiency or shortcoming in the bike. an mx bike is typically not geared well for gnarly offroad (and it's even worse on a 125 with very little low-end). a rekluse allows you to still run the way-too-tall 1st gear and get away with it. this is something i have considered for my 250sx, but instead i just swap between a 13t for woods and a 14t for dezert. i also have a 12t for 5moh type stuff, but then tresa has to wait too m u ch since her bike goes 20 mph faster than my bike likes to go with that 12t on it, lol.

Power valves and suspension improved on deficiencies in the bike, a rekluse deals with a deficiency in the rider whether it be skill, strength or endurance.

You make a good point, though I was speaking in terms of embracing new technology. However, I love it because it gives me the clutch control of a pro, and at my age if that hasn't happened yet ... it ain't happenin'. :)

You make a good point, though I was speaking in terms of embracing new technology. However, I love it because it gives me the clutch control of a pro, and at my age if that hasn't happened yet ... it ain't happenin'. :ride:

Haha fair enough.

And velo, I tried to gear it down, I bought a 13 to gear it down on front but wouldn't you know 13 is stock... whoops. And have to get a 12 from some place special. I think my jetting might have been to lean on bottom (my fault). Hopefully I'll have that figured out before ID not that it'll be as much as an issue, no rocks! :) (comparatively)

I've had one in my 300 for 2 years. I bought the bike used with 450 miles and it was installed already. It has some very definite advantages and IMO some disadvantages. I still use the clutch lever 98% of the time.

Set up correctly, it will eliminate stalling. This pretty much negates the need for e-start. You can ride a gear higher in nasty stuff and almost use it like a slipper. If you primarily ride tight, nasty trails it is an advantage.

I still have the clutch lever although it feels a little weird. I don't like the fact that you can no longer bump start the bike. I also don't like the fact that the clutch lever needs to be completely pulled in to disengage. This makes blasting out of a corner a little more difficult. For faster riding I don't like it at all. The biggest issue for me is fast downhill runs. Here, I usually would pull in the clutch and this is more difficult with the Rekluse installed.

That said, I'm pulling mine out since I don't think it's as much fun for an aggressive rider.

I've had one in my 300 for 2 years. I bought the bike used with 450 miles and it was installed already. It has some very definite advantages and IMO some disadvantages. I still use the clutch lever 98% of the time.

Set up correctly, it will eliminate stalling. This pretty much negates the need for e-start. You can ride a gear higher in nasty stuff and almost use it like a slipper. If you primarily ride tight, nasty trails it is an advantage.

I still have the clutch lever although it feels a little weird. I don't like the fact that you can no longer bump start the bike. I also don't like the fact that the clutch lever needs to be completely pulled in to disengage. This makes blasting out of a corner a little more difficult. For faster riding I don't like it at all. The biggest issue for me is fast downhill runs. Here, I usually would pull in the clutch and this is more difficult with the Rekluse installed.

That said, I'm pulling mine out since I don't think it's as much fun for an aggressive rider.

Excellent post. It's good to hear the other side. I can't call myself "fast" by many people's standards but I try to ride aggressively, and your reasons for removing one are the same as my reasons for not wanting one.

And velo, I tried to gear it down, I bought a 13 to gear it down on front but wouldn't you know 13 is stock... whoops. And have to get a 12 from some place special.

yeah, i don't like using 12's except for special occasions. they wear considerably quicker than 13's and that accelerates chainwear too. that's just a tough bike to ride in gnarly stuff at altitude. if i were you, i'd spend the money on a big bore kit. or just buy a grownup bike, lol.

if a deal on a new yz125 walked up and bit me, i might buy one. i'd love to have one for track and dezert stuff.

One of the WNYOA Womens bike riders, she was used to having a 2-stroke and ended up buying a 4-stroke and was having issues with shifting. So she bought a rekluse clutch and on every hill she was stalling. This might have been an installation error or somethin possibly, or mabe just a bad one. hated her's which after that you can't blame her. I think if you know someone with a rekluse clutch you could give it a try, but I'd say it's better to get used to using the clutch.

Excellent post. It's good to hear the other side. I can't call myself "fast" by many people's standards but I try to ride aggressively, and your reasons for removing one are the same as my reasons for not wanting one.

Thanks, having ridden for nearly 28 years without one then having one has given me some time to evaluate my love/hate relationship with the thing.

Running one in a 2-stroke may be part of my bias for wanting to remove it as well. Something like a 450F has enough torque that you wouldn't have to use the clutch manually to blast out of corners.

Velo is right about installing one in an MX bike. You can leave the stock gearing or even gear up and the bike is still rideable. There is a girl who rides out of the KTM shop near Crested Butte on a 125 SX and she's got one installed. She hauls ass on that bike through the woods and there's some gnarly stuff in Taylor Park.

I don't think the Rekluse is any less gay than e-start. :)

I think Vmax hit on a point that we were missing, and that is TERRAIN. In tight woods, I honestly don't think you can beat the auto clutch. When I make a little longer drive from home and ride in the slightly more open terrain on the East slopes of the Cascades, I could be just as happy without the Rekluse. Get it tight and snotty though, and the Rekluse really shines.

I don't know, even in WA I never felt the need for one. I think it's more the rider than the terrain.

that is an excellent point, but i think in your case it would also be dealing with a deficiency or shortcoming in the bike. an mx bike is typically not geared well for gnarly offroad (and it's even worse on a 125 with very little low-end).

But how would a reckluse handle on an MX track?? I'm trying to get double duty out of my YZ250F, and I think I'd last a lost longer on the trails if the stalling was less of an issue... but not sure if that would go well on the MX track? :)

when i learned to ride, the clutch frustrated me so much. i really wanted a rekluse. didnt make one for a 150f [duh.] boyfriend told me to get better with the clutch. well, it WAS my only option. now ive been informed im a better technical rider then some people my boy knows. huh, whaddya know. hang in there. learn to ride the clutch. :)

i will have a rekluse forever...i have two crf450's and both are "reklused"

But how would a reckluse handle on an MX track?? I'm trying to get double duty out of my YZ250F, and I think I'd last a lost longer on the trails if the stalling was less of an issue... but not sure if that would go well on the MX track? :)

It will still run fine and you can keep the clutch lever.

My advice is to go ride one with a Rekluse installed before plunking down the cash.

i would gear down slightly and add a flywheel weight to address stalling on tighter trails. mx bikes typically have a fairly tall first gear. i did that with my 250sx and i don't feel it hurts it at all at the track. of course i'm just a couple-time-a-month dabbler at the track, not a serious racer. i forgot you ride an mx bike or i would have mentioned that in your trailriding thread. imho, proper gearing makes a huge difference on a 4stroke in the woods.

i geared my fe550 down a tooth in front even, and that's supposed to be an offroad bike, but in real technical rocky stuff, i was finding it was just doing the annoying 4-stroke flameout at unexpected times when i was chugging along through the rocks in 1st gear.

as far as terrain, my favored terrain is the tightest, rockiest, gnarliest woods. i like riding the kind of trails that make grown men whine and cry and want to turn around (so i ride by myself alot, lol), and while i agree a rekluse is slightly easier in those conditions, i'm not convinced from my experiences (on 5moh, among others) that it's any more fun.

My husband does have the rekluse on his CRF 450R and I have ridden it with it installed, but only on a home made track. It makes that bike feel way more managable to me. But if I stalled his bike I'm a good three inches from touching my feet to the ground. The 150R seems to stall a little more than the 450 used to.

Now don't get me wrong here I'm not an idiot when it comes to the clutch I rode my 230 for a year and rarely stalled it. But the 150R on the single tracks and rocky switchbacks we ride tends to be quite a bit more of a handful than my old trail bike. It's good to hear you guys say that you think calling it cheating is ridiculous, however it seems that my ideas are somewhat correct since many of the posters seem to think that the riders of rekluse bikes are somewhat deficient. I will most likely end up getting a rekluse just to keep up, since I am the only chick that rides a bike in my crowd and all the guys have grown up riding. But I am going to wait a little bit just to see how much I can learn between now and then.

The 150R seems to stall a little more than the 450 used to.

the 150r is small mx bike. these bikes typically are tuned for maximum high-end power, which means minimum lowend power, and a very light flywheel. it seems to be like an excellent application for a flywheel weight, which will make the bike harder to stall. i have one on the kx100 and also on my 250sx. i would certainly put one on a 150r if i could ever stand to own a bike that loud.

the 150r is small mx bike. these bikes typically are tuned for maximum high-end power, which means minimum lowend power, and a very light flywheel. it seems to be like an excellent application for a flywheel weight, which will make the bike harder to stall. i have one on the kx100 and also on my 250sx. i would certainly put one on a 150r if i could ever stand to own a bike that loud.

Also lower gearing?

Also lower gearing?

yeah, that too, probably. we went to lower gearing on the kx. i actually have a 12, 13 and 14 that i use on my 250. 14 in the winter (dezert), 13 in the summer (mountains), and it only takes 5-10 mins to switch it out.

i like my new lower gearing. i never used 1st much anyway and since it's even lower now it still works for the one thing it's great at, which is getting restarted on hills and other bad places to have a boo boo.