Sign in to follow this  

radiator braces

the radiators on my wr are slightly bent. what is the best or easiest way to fix them? also i am planning on getting radiator braces. im choosing between unabiker, BRP, works connection, and flatland. the unabiker braces look the best, but im not really sure which ones to get. so what kind of radiator braces should i get? i want the lightest/strongest braces

Flatliners are sturdy and easy to install. I think they are $74 at cyclebuy.com

I have some Moose gaurds on the UPS truck right now.

I will post back after install and let you know what I think (06 yz250f).

I have the Unabiker guards, They are a little diffcult to install, but they do a excellent job. Make sure no matter what guard you get that your radiator is straighten to as close to original condition as you can get it for the guards to fit properly

Flatland. Great guys, great service, not expensive at TT store.

have held up beautifully for me.

Alleycatdad

I cannot decide between the flatland guards or the devol ones. Who has the devol ones? they look good also. Plus they are cheaper :)

Two thumbs up for Flatland, one thumb up for Moose, and one thumb down for unabiker and works connection (older style rear braces). I've used (and tested:busted:) all 4 of those brands. They all 4 kept my radiators attached and in one piece, but the flatland braces resisted bending the most. Unabiker's PITA installation and poor fitment alone gave them a neutral rating, and they only held up marginally better than the works connection rear braces.

Two thumbs up for Flatland, one thumb up for Moose, and one thumb down for unabiker and works connection. I've used (and tested:busted:) all 4 of those brands. They all 4 kept my radiators attached and in one piece, but the flatland braces resisted bending the most. Unabiker's PITA installation and poor fitment alone gave them a neutral rating, and they only held up marginally better than the works connection rear braces.

Works Connection is really good NOW (with their radiator CAGES). If you are talking about the old school braces (2001-2005 YZ250F, 2001-2006 WR250F), then I agree. The works connection are just a little better than decorations (sorry, that's just my experience).

But yeah, now they made cages for the '06-'07s, and they are really strong. I dig 'em now. I've flipped my bike end over end, and flopped it to both sides many, many times. Radiators are not squished at all, and their cages don't restrict air flow.

I cannot decide between the flatland guards or the devol ones. Who has the devol ones? they look good also. Plus they are cheaper :)

I have the DEVOL guards and love them. I have hit my radiators many times and the guards havn't even started to bend or dent.

Works Connection is really good NOW (with their radiator CAGES). If you are talking about the old school braces (2001-2005 YZ250F, 2001-2006 WR250F), then I agree. The works connection are just a little better than decorations (sorry, that's just my experience).

But yeah, now they made cages for the '06-'07s, and they are really strong. I dig 'em now. I've flipped my bike end over end, and flopped it to both sides many, many times. Radiators are not squished at all, and their cages don't restrict air flow.

I agree. I have the cages for my bike and they are great.

Well I just finished installing my Moose gaurds and they seem pretty stout.

I don't like the way my shrouds will be a pain in the ass to put on from now on but I don't know, they may all be that way:excuseme:

I picked the Moose cause I wanted to keep the louvers in front and they do that and don't seem to affect the air flow:thumbsup:

Only hard thing about install was cutting the inside of my shrouds to help it fit.

I have the flatland guards. I've gotta say there excellent. I have managed to bend them a few times (a couple of times pretty seriously) on various crashes over the last 3 or 4 years since I installed them, but the cool thing is that the radiators themselves have never bent or damaged in any way. I simply hammered the guards straight again and we were good to go. No question, two thumbs up .:):ride:

OOOooo..... Here is an area for me to let off some steam!!! :) I bought some "Works Connection" Radiator braces for my 2002 yz250f. They seem to do the job fine, BUT they are the biggest pain in the arse with putting them on, seeing as I have to do that to change the plug, or anything besides the oil, air filter, and tires, its pretty annoying. You have to further bend the arch for the screws to fit through everything. Maybe I'm mechanically challanged, but boy are those things annoying, almoast want to ride with out them.

Well I just finished installing my Moose gaurds and they seem pretty stout.

I don't like the way my shrouds will be a pain in the ass to put on from now on but I don't know, they may all be that way:excuseme:

I picked the Moose cause I wanted to keep the louvers in front and they do that and don't seem to affect the air flow:thumbsup:

Only hard thing about install was cutting the inside of my shrouds to help it fit.

The last time I spoke with the owner of Flatlandracing.com (Mike), he said they were building the radiator guards for Moose (with Moose's specs) - so in effect you've installed the Flatlandracing radiator guards. I've never seen their Moose version though, do you have any pictures to show us?

My Flatlands have stood up to many a crash. The only time my radiator was damaged was on a direct radiator to Jeep Cherokee rear pillar crash. Fortunately, the dolt who was riding crashed into his own car.

Lesson learned, now no one rides my bike but me.

:):ride: for Flatland Racing.

The other day I had a stump knock my left foot off the peg and I fell over in a ditch on the left side and augered in. No harm done or so I thought until I felt my knee braces hanging up on something and looked down to see a big bend in my left shroud. My Flatland gaurd and radiator was bent back--I guess there was another stump! I got home, stuck the shroud in a vice and left it over night--it went straight. I laid on the ground and grabbed my left foot peg, then with my leg, pushed the radiator and Flatland brace back into place. I didn't get it quite right as the shroud took on another bend, but another boot ought to do it. No leaks, no bent thingys in the radiator fins, and the Flatlands are in good shape. I am glad I did not have the Works Connection braces alone on the bike--BUT--I wish I could have had those AND the Flatlands on there combined. Flatlands just saved me a bundle on shipping to radiator doctor!

i have the flatlands, they took 3 pretty good hits before i busted the radiator off. :) damnit!!!!

The last time I spoke with the owner of Flatlandracing.com (Mike), he said they were building the radiator guards for Moose (with Moose's specs) - so in effect you've installed the Flatlandracing radiator guards. I've never seen their Moose version though, do you have any pictures to show us?

Picture381.jpg

Picture382.jpg

Picture383.jpg

Picture384.jpg

You can see in the last pic my shrouds have to be bent inward to attach, but they may all be like that:excuseme:

They are very sturdy and I hope I never find out what it takes to bend them:ride:

which ones should i get for my 04 wr250? im looking for the lightest possible braces that still do a decent job of protecting the radiators. also, i dont want them to be very visible when youre looking at the bike and i dont want them to stick out in any way. if possible, i would like braces that still allow me to have plastic radiator fins. are the works connection braces any good?