Sign in to follow this  

Who makes a better bike KTM or Husqvarna?

Who makes a better bike KTM or Husqvarna?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes a better bike KTM or Husqvarna?

• KTM
    • Husqvarna

There are 14 Husky dealers in CA, while there are 46 KTM dealers in CA (according to each website). Not to say that because KTM has more dealers makes it a better brand, but if I were trying to decide between the two, this would definately be a major factor. If I had to travel 100+ miles for service etc... that wouldn't bode very well in my book.

I would choose a KTM, but really, they're both great bikes. Like you said, both owners are very loyal to their respective brands.

My local dealer carry's both.:p Im leaning towards purchasing the Husky for dualsporting.

I have owned them both. One Husky and 6 KTM's. As far as four strokes each has its own merits. Based on bike alone it would be the Husky because for the price difference you can upgrade to all the quality componets that come stock on the KTM. When it comes to after market surport and dealer surport the KTM is far surperior. Both ride qreat. The Husky is easier to do maintenence on. The KTM is more reliable. When you ride the Husky TE all the old timers like to come up and tell war stories about the WR 250 they owned in 1966. You meet a lot of interesting people that way. I am looking right now to get an 08 dual sport and would like to see how the Husky fuel injection works out. They are pushing the technology of dirt bikes forward. As far as two strokes there is no finer dirt bike than the KTM 300 EXC. IMO.

whoever thinks that it is hard to get parts for a Husky needs to pull their heads out of the sand.

I waited almost 6 weeks for a new cyclinder for my 06 TE 250. From the factory. The bike looked nice in my garage since I could not ride it and get it dirty. I think that would qualify as "hard to get parts for a Husky". I still would try another Husky despite that nightmare. I live near the beach but never put my head in the sand so I don't think that was the problem but thanks for the advice.

I waited almost 6 weeks for a new cyclinder for my 06 TE 250. From the factory. The bike looked nice in my garage since I could not ride it and get it dirty. I think that would qualify as "hard to get parts for a Husky". I still would try another Husky despite that nightmare. I live near the beach but never put my head in the sand so I don't think that was the problem but thanks for the advice.

I remember your issue, but don't remember anyone else with the same issue in the last 2 years - seemed pretty obscure. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I remember your issue, but don't remember anyone else with the same issue in the last 2 years - seemed pretty obscure. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I remember your intrest in it at that time. The funny thing is that the service dealer told me it was a common problem. But I never heard or read about another one having that problem. I will say the dealer was GREAT (Moto Forza) to deal with but they did a dealer search and could not come up the new cylinder other than to wait for the factory to furnish one. I had cancer at the time and all I wanted to do was ride to escape so I traded in the TE for a KTM 450 with license plate. I am thinking about going back to the Husky with FI.

I remember your intrest in it at that time. The funny thing is that the service dealer told me it was a common problem. But I never heard or read about another one having that problem. I will say the dealer was GREAT (Moto Forza) to deal with but they did a dealer search and could not come up the new cylinder other than to wait for the factory to furnish one. I had cancer at the time and all I wanted to do was ride to escape so I traded in the TE for a KTM 450 with license plate. I am thinking about going back to the Husky with FI.

I hope you are now in good heath and whatever you ride you are having fun.

:cheers:

I hope you are now in good heath and whatever you ride you are having fun.

:cheers:

Much apriciated. Generaly in good health. Very fortunate on having a very treatable form of cancer as well as great Doctors. I am riding a mountain bike right now. Crashed the 450 and ripped the knee out so I am doing rehab which is hard having just turned 50. Most likely will pick up a new bike when the 08's come out. I'am leaning towards the Husky so I alwasy keep my eyes on these forms for good tips on bikes. When you weed through all the name brand loyality and hearsay facts you find some good honest reviews of different bikes.

how would a KTM and husky compared to say my yz450, in the performance-reliability department?

how would a KTM and husky compared to say my yz450, in the performance-reliability department?

I think worse, Yamaha 4 strokes are insanely dependable in my opinion.

Like anything. It depends on how hard you ride it and how well you maintian it. The guys I ride with push the bikes hard but they are always well preped and dialed in. Because of this they do not break down unless you crash. Last think you want is to be 100 miles from your truck and have something break because you didn't take the time to check it. I have siezed pistons on both the Husky and KTM. The KTM was improper use. Running a two stroke WFO for a long strech they just don't like it. The Husky was a factory defect.

my old husky is so unreliable. When it's been sitting for a few months, it takes three or four kicks instead of one

:smirk:

i love KTMs, and ive never even ridden one. but the huskysare very cool, i like both bikes:cheers:

i love KTMs, and ive never even ridden one.

That's why you love them, ride one, you'll change your mind. :smirk:

That's why you love them, ride one, you'll change your mind. :smirk:

lol....we might be getting an 07/08 144sx:thumbsup: wat is bad about how they ride?

lol....we might be getting an 07/08 144sx:thumbsup: wat is bad about how they ride?

I'm just messin around, you'll probably love it. :thumbsup:

I'm just messin around, you'll probably love it. :thumbsup:

oh lol, ive onle seen like 1 husky in person, i like the shrouds on the newer bikes, but i heard they are a lil on they heavy side and kinda slow(magazine article) but then again they say that about KTM and i no KTms haul ass:excuseme:

Both great bikes .... so long as you don't want to go for a long ride like more than an hour .... otherwise you will need full workshop and spare part facilities available track side ....

Both brands are the most unreliable break downy things I have ever seen !!

And not just normal stuff but real weird things ...

LOL You have no clue do you. As far as bike quality and durability.

I havnt had a husky for many years but im sure there pritty close (close enough that making a statment like better) is not warranted.

No never owned either brand but ....

Have ridden extensively with many people who own own many different models of each brand.

Case in point - 3 x KTM 450's - 2 x 05's and 1 x 06 - go riding every weekend and compete in enduros

All 3 bikes owned by experienced riders who maintain them well but its a good weekend when all 3 make it without something going wrong ... some examples ...

Water pump seals leaking, clutch master cylinder bypassing internally ( ie seal knackered ), same with front and rear brakes... electrics ... etc etc and these things keep happening time and time again ...

So yeah I really would love to own one as they are great bikes, power/handling etc but the maintenance and unreliabilty are a killer ....

ive had kawasakis that do that smart one (which is why we may be switching to KTM, japanese bike quality is going down), all seals leak eventually, the brakes are the best u can get (brembo is used on indy cars) and the electrics im sure are just fine:thumbsup: