Sign in to follow this  

Kawasaki KE 125 wiring??

Hi guys i was hoping someone might have a wiring diagram for a 1980 ke 125 i'm playing with and possibly some advice on timing and points as i have not had much luch getting spark and there is wiring everywhere thanks guys

cheers nick

Nobody else piped up so here is what I dealt with:

My brand new off the showroom floor 1976 KE125 was the worst starting motorcycle that I have ever owned. It has a very weak spark to begin with. As best I could tell the stator put out about 1w. And either the engine cases would not seal well or somehow condensation was getting in to the points. And if the points get the slightest bit wet or dirty it will not start with the kickstarter because of the weak spark.

Mine was a joke with my riding partners because they would have to tow me to pull start it so often. One of my friends also bought one and he immediately traded it for a DT125 with CDI ignition because his would never start either. I had a KD175 that destroyed its crank seals (again because the engine case over that weird rotary valve and carb would not seal - it would always got banged on stuff on the trail and break the gasket seal). So I swapped the CDI igntion from the KD over to the KE and junked the remains of the KD. I lasted about 18 months before I traded it for a Yamaha with CDI ignition.

Bottom line is that you must seal the engine cases (even then condensation might get you), clean and/or file the points, adjust them spot on and make sure that all of the wiring between the stator and the ignition is perfect. In fact, everything in the ignition has to be perfect to start. Then have someone tow you to start it after you kick it 500 times.

I tried to find my KE125 owners manual but it has disappeared. And my KD175 manual is no help because it was CDI. But the wiring is simple enough to diagram yourself if you take the time to trace everything out. Sorry I couldn't be more help. But those bikes are a bear to start.