Eddie, Newbie in need of DRZ help

Hello Eddie and everyone,

I am new here and tried the search button for info...sorry, but can't find my particular problem yet....Really sorry if this is a beaten topic, I am just at my wits end.

I have an '02 DRZ400E that ran beautifully with an open top airbox, the Ebay alloy end cap in the stock exhaust and a 165 Main jet, at six hundred feet above sea level.. No other mods. This thing ran crisp.

This bike ran great, until I put a Yoshimura full Ti exhaust on it this am. (it's the PRO full Ti triangular muffler system) I raised the needle one notch, then returned it to the center position after bike wouldn't idle. (didn't think they were related but...)

Now bike won't idle, unless idle adjust screw is bottomed against it's max input stop and then just barely. No more adjustment left on throttle stop/idle adjustment knob.

It starts, but not easily, runs OK as far as revving in neutural. Just barely idles...What gives? This thing ran beautifully 'till I changed the exhaust.

Checked all connections, but found nothing.

I can't believe jetting would effect idle that much, but again, I am lost now.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Dave H.

?

I'd like to jump in on this post. I've got a 05 Calif. DRZ400E that I've rejetted, removed the snorkel from the top of the air box and installed a Twin-air filter. I am wanting to install an aftermarket exhaust, all in the name of more power, but after reading this post I am rethinking that idea. Please help!!!

Saltair

I'd like to jump in on this post. I've got a 05 Calif. DRZ400E that I've rejetted, removed the snorkel from the top of the air box and installed a Twin-air filter. I am wanting to install an aftermarket exhaust, all in the name of more power, but after reading this post I am rethinking that idea. Please help!!!

Saltair

Saltair, I am still trying to figure out how I turned my ultra crisp running rejetted stocker that just had an opened airbox and exhaust endcap into a bike that barely runs at idle.

Beautiful titanium Yoshimura exhaust may be for sale cheap.......soon......

ps I am not new to motorcycles by any imagination as I have ridden since I was 7 and raced club road racing for 15+ years. This thing confounds me....?

Eddie, that's what I figured.

The only thing I did other than remove the allen bolt cap that contains needle, was I erroniously removed little phillips head screw next to it (on the throttle linkage bar) thinking that's how I access the needle by pulling out slide. I screwed it back into place though, and tightened.

Any thoughts? (bike was set up by mechanic friend with a 165 main jet when I bought it, needle clip in center slot)

I am really at my wits end on this thing as I have never had such a mystery...bike ran superbly, with great crisp power till I put pipe on.

Thanks Eddie in advance for any advice and I'd be HAPPY to PayPal you some money if you help me figure this thing out. Let me know what you need for your time.

Regards sir, Dave H.

the screw you removed is why it wont idle now.it sets the slide height realitve to the idle screw.

get the bike running and leave the carb cap off.loosen the lock nut and turn the center screw till the idle comes back up.then lock the nut down.

you have the best pipe ever made for a drz.

Thank you so much Eddie, for your help! I actually muddled thru it today with the help of my friend that set the bike up. Like you said, it was a throttle linkage problem. (I actually, loosened and removed the #2 phillips screw that secures the throttle linkage rod to the slide, right next to the one that you mentioned.

It had come out of alignment with the tab on the throttle cable cam that the idle screw pushes against.)

Thank you again sir!

Dave H.

Oh, as a PS, not sure why "Saltair" jumped in and highjacked my question/thread unless he just wanted to thank you for me and ask you what pipe you liked....?

My apology Gentleman, No offense, It's a jungle searching these threads and DH, you were asking questions that I was sincerely interestd in. I value Eddies' experience and advice. Thanks again to the both of you,

Saltair

Saltair, No biggie, I didn't mean to sound cranky.

I agree that there is so much information on this site that sometimes it's hard to navigate and locate targeted info.

Thanks again Edddie for the guidance and rapid response time!

Dave