Sign in to follow this  

G#$%D$%& chain roller (DR650)

When I purchased my 06 with around 5,000 miles it looked like the upper roller was never touched, but its was owned by a 120 pound women who never rode it in dirt and probally never seen 5,000 rpm's. When I got it I found this site and removed the roller then proceeded to dump more money than I ever get out of it. I just checked my cap screw a few minutes ago and the thing is nearly flat on the bottom outer edge. Thank god I removed that roller or I'd have a busted frame. I'm gonna fill the hole with jb weld and thank this site for not having to weld the frame. I have it lowered and correctly sprung for my fat ass and keep the chain adjusted correctly and maybe a little loose if I'm in a spot were the next notch on the adjuster may be a liitle to tight. I'm no engineer but I know the power of torque slap can easily bust anything in it's way.

Hey gang, checked them out today and they were on tight as all get out. I've got a 2005 with 19k miles on the clock so I thought I'd better check it out. A fellow DR650 rider on this board mentioned the NSU screws could be replaced (if loose) with the clutch in place. I'll check 'em again and probably swap them out for the longer allen bolts when it's clutch replacement time.

-Rich

NSU screws could be lose what does NSU stand for???

NSU screws could be lose what does NSU stand for???

Neutral Sender Unit

Are these just 6mm Phillips head screws?

Yes, two 5mm phillips head screws....More information on the topic for ya.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10646236&postcount=26847

Since you just picked up your bike recently you will eventually hear about these items as well. Lots of good guys on the various DR forums and tons of information out there. Hope this helps.

http://www.mistyoak.org/dr650/dr650-index.html#Anti-Handlebar%20Vibration

Tech25

Yes, two 5mm phillips head screws....More information on the topic for ya.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10646236&postcount=26847

Since you just picked up your bike recently you will eventually hear about these items as well. Lots of good guys on the various DR forums and tons of information out there. Hope this helps.

http://www.mistyoak.org/dr650/dr650-index.html#Anti-Handlebar%20Vibration

Tech25

I got some reading/research to do, I got my Pro-Cycle jet kit in! :thumbsup:

*Hopefully* the stock LEAN condition will be gone, it is almost painful trying to ride it with all of the popping/sputtering.

I will check out read up on it, I may start in on the jet-kit this afternoon after work.

:confused:

Chances are it will just pop and splutter with more authority.

When I purchased my 06 with around 5,000 miles it looked like the upper roller was never touched, but its was owned by a 120 pound women who never rode it in dirt and probally never seen 5,000 rpm's. When I got it I found this site and removed the roller then proceeded to dump more money than I ever get out of it. I just checked my cap screw a few minutes ago and the thing is nearly flat on the bottom outer edge. Thank god I removed that roller or I'd have a busted frame. I'm gonna fill the hole with jb weld and thank this site for not having to weld the frame. I have it lowered and correctly sprung for my fat ass and keep the chain adjusted correctly and maybe a little loose if I'm in a spot were the next notch on the adjuster may be a liitle to tight. I'm no engineer but I know the power of torque slap can easily bust anything in it's way.

+1 No headed bolt should be used to plug the upper roller threaded boss on the frame. Either a set screw locktited in position level with the surface of the boss or some type of sealant should be used. :thumbsup:

I hope not, I will resort to finding a 1980's TS250 2 stroke bike and send this one packing.

:thumbsup:

When you richen the mixture screw you will see a slight reduction in the intermittent sputter/popping at idle. Popping on decel is a fact of life with the big DR. Aftermarket mufflers with low restriction straight through baffle cores will amplify the popping. Besides being maintenance free, that is another one of the nice benefits of the GSXR muffler conversion, the popping is toned down to a mellow rumble on decel.

Tech25

Another way to plug the hole is with a common automotive body plug that has about a half inch head with fins below used to attach splash guards and fender shields. I used one of these with some form in place gasket (FIPG for you Toyota owners) material to seal the hole.

Looks something like this:

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Toyota_Xmas_Tree_Retainer_Black_Nylon_p/a20878.htm

Edited by NY T100
add info

I cut the head off an 8mm bolt and cut a slot in it with my cut off tool, ground it nice and smooth. I applied loctite and screwed it in flush.

Tech25

Holy crap $9.25 for a plastic push fastener. 50 cents at the auto parts store.

Crap. I just looked and mine's gone and there's a hole in the frame:banghead:

Oops!

JB weld it

I would think some shop somewhere would have seen these by now, I would think Suzuki might 're-design' this flawed design.

The location of the top-roller to me seems like it would be a safety hazard in the least.

Have 20K miles on my bike and it's still amazingly there.