Sign in to follow this  

Finding the perfect supermoto - help?

Wow this site is phenomenal, I am absolutely thrilled to stumble upon this during my research period for my new toy!! Everyone on here seems to f'in cool and hepful. So here is my dilemma, I need to find the right bike for me, and know all of you have all the helpful tips to lead me in the right way.

I have about 11 years of dirt riding experience, i have a cr250, and about 2 years of street bike experience, i have a honda f4i. Plus i have numerous other toys that i plan on selling to obtain the funds for my new bike.

Im keeping the 4fi but selling the cr250 plus others so my budget will be around a little under $6000 to start off and actually get a bike. The supermoto world looks soooo awesome and i cant wait to start riding.

I'm not looking to get into the hardcore die-hard racing aspect, however I am totally stoked to give it a try once or twice. I own my business, work 2 jobs and go to school, so a full-time racing hobby probably wouldn't fit in - UNFORTUNATELY. I live in San Diego, CA in a little beach community called pacific beach and I am looking for a supermoto to shred around and terrorize the town. I want the most fun bike possible for just that reason, to have fun on. It's not for commuting, traveling, or racing, just to have fun. I love pullin 2nd-3rd wheelies down the road, dippin around turns, etc, etc. Which bike is best for me?? I need something rather bullet proof, i take great care of my toys, but I definitely dont have the time to be wrenching on the thing every other day.

At this point im on the verge to go out - like tomorrow - and buy a Suzuki drz400sm but why not post a thread and see what people say. Close second to that are the smaller KTM's, however the husky's and aprilias look amazing!

PLEASE HELP SO I CAN GET OUT THERE AND START RIPPING. Im too excited to wait!

I'm almost 5' 11" about 170lbs the and will do about 80% street riding and the other 20% will be dirt (fire trails, mountain trails, MAYBE a little track)

Can't wait to here from you guys. Thanks again in advance for all your time!

Collin Galgon

San Diego, CA

I'm sure you'll get as many suggestions as there are models of bikes. The fact is, they're ALL fun. I will say that I have had a Husqvarna SM510R for a little over a year and the thing has been great. The maintenace schedule may seem intimidating at first, but it's no worse than your CR250 and the Husky is much easier to work on. An oil and filter change takes about 15 minutes and a valve check takes about 20. Add 15 minutes more if you have to actually change any shims. You don't have to pull the cams to do this, you just pop out a retaining clip and slide the rocker arms out of the way. I had to replace a couple of shims at the first service, but for the 3000 miles I've put on the bike since, they have stayed in spec. I do mostly canyon carving and occassional track days and the Husky is the perfect tool. There is even a dealer with a good rep in your area, GP Cycles in San Diego. I have no personal experience with them, but the word on the Web that I've seen is positive. Good luck and welcome to the club.

how about something smooth and vibration free for those long canyon rides?

+1 on the plated XR650R. I live in Pacific Beach and that's what I terrorize the town with. Reliable, parts availability, lots of info on it, and easy to work on. It's just hard to find a plated one. But I have seen a few on craigslist here in San Diego.

I too am ready to buy my 1st supermoto, and I've been on here doing a lot of research. Unfortunately for us it seems that the craze hasn't yet prompted the manufacturers to give us many street legal options (here in Oregon we cannot license anything that isn't street legal from the factory). I chose the new KTM 690 Supermoto. It's not here yet, so I hope I made a good choice. Tempting was the Husqvarna SM610 - but there aren't many dealers around me so I'd be out of luck if it ever broke down. If your budget is rigid then the DR-Z supermoto should top your list. It's no rocketship but can be made decently fun w/ an extra $500 worth of mods. Lots of them around & they're reliable bikes. I really wanted to like the KTM 625MC, but was a little turned off on it after a test ride. Many people bring up the vibration felt from the LC4 engine, and it did bother me on this bike. Great power though if you can get past that - plus the added benefit of being able to put some dirt wheels on it & do some real offroading. Man it felt tall to me though...and I am 6'2".

Check the used bike market in San Diego. You should have a ton of options available to you. Get out and ride some of them & buy the one that makes you smile.

I live at the top of Mission Blvd. Its a 2000 XR650R. Got it off of craigslist a little over a year ago for $3500, It had been sitting in a garage, stock, uncorked and had a street title but the plate had never been mounted on the bike. About $1800 in sumo mods and I have a bike set up for sumo or dirt, if I flip the wheels, fender and caliper relocation bracket.

I just recently picked up a Husky smr510 and I love it!!! I ride hard and this bike loves it!!! To prove how confident I am in this bike the nearest dealer to me is 4 hours away. I put on 600 miles this week and I am going to ride all weekend!!! Maintanance is a piece of cake and the bike is comes street legal out of the box...

I've had 2 super moto bikes DRZ and SMR 510. I still haven't found the perfect SM bike but I'm still looking.

The SMR is gone... too much vibration,too much head work required, and also didn't like the close ratio 6 speed box. It had too many gears and not enough spacing between them.

The DRZ was underpowered but it didn't vibrate and there was a Suzuki dealer only 5 miles away. For $500, I upped the power and it is acceptable. I will keep it until I find that perfect replacement.

For me, the perfect street SM would be at 275 lb max.. 475 cc min... 50 hp. min. ..6 speed wide ratio... and have an engine balancer to get away from annoying and self destructing vibration. Oh, and a local dealer.

All of the Japanese manufactures already have all of the parts needed to make my perfect SM. They just haven't done it yet. Soon maybe??:)

Tony

That is exactly why I have kept my plated WR 426 (now a 444).

The thing is light, looks bitchen and is as fast as pretty much any 450 out there.

My local dealership had a KTM test ride day all day yesterday, the owner absolutely LOVES my WR, and has been begging me for 2 years to sell it to him so he can put it on display in the showroom, he calls it the "nicest piece of art he has ever seen".

I show up yesterday to test ride, and the owner is there when I pull up, he immediately takes me aside and says "lets you and me go test ride these bikes, I'll bring my manager with another bike so you can ride anyone you want to".

Long story short, we took the 690SM and the 950SM and my bike about a mile away to an industrial area with long streets and nobody around.

We spent the next hour doing wheelies and stoppies, He (the owner) rode my bike out of the dealership parking lot and ripped a wheelie down the street for over a mile, I started out on the 690, the manager was on the 950.

When we got to the industrial area, we were just going nuts and having a blast, then we decided to drag race, he was still riding my WR, and all I can tell you is the 690 is nice but my bike absolutely spanked it, the 950 of course walked away from both of us but that bike is a 950cc V twin and that is a no brainer.

The 690 was nice, I did not like the lack of power or the way the bike shifted at all, there is a lot of space between gears is the best way I can describe it, I found myself missing shifts and having to really lift my foot into the shifter to hit gears and that was a real distraction, it has a much higher top speed than my bike does so once both bikes hit 5th gear the 690 started to catch up and pull away.

The point is that I never ride in that zone on my bike anyway so a top speed of more than 100mph is useless to me.

When I rode the 950 it was a different story all together, that bike is no supermoto, it is more like a Ducati 996 or an RC51 with an upright sitting position, it is powerful, will loft the front end by just rolling on the throttle, but it is also big and heavy and feels way more like a naked sport bike than a supermoto.

I have been riding and racing supermoto for over 7 years now and I dont think I could ever be happy with anything shy of what my 2001 WR is.

The perfect supermoto is a bike that YOU like to ride, and if you cannot back it in to a corner, ride a wheelie for days and do stoppies at will then you might as well buy a naked sport bike or even a sport bike.

A street legal supermoto is not designed to be a daily driver/commuter in my opinion, for me it is a bike that I can take out and thrash around safely, looks race replica and is fun to look at, work on and ride the shit out of.

It is really cool that KTM has these test ride days so that you can go out and throw a leg over what it is they have to offer, at the end of the day for me, I came to the conclusion that I am just not a KTM kind of guy, I like light weight, small, compact supermotos, and I like to know that if push came to shove I could take the lights off my bike and go to any track in the country and be competitive, of course I have a race bike for that so I wont ever have to do that, but my street legal supermoto is no slower than my fully race prepped CRF, and that to me is what makes a "perfect" street legal supermoto.

I have yet to ride the Husqvarna's, I really like the way toe SM450 and SM510 looks, and I am sure that those bikes are in the same league as a race ready Husky just in street legal trim, If I were "forced" to get a new bike that was street legal out of the box, there is no doubt that I would be down at the Husky dealership working a deal, the real bummer for me is my Yamaha dealership is 5 minutes away, the closest Husky dealership is nearly an hour, and the big Husky dealership is over 2 hours away.

The Husky SM610 is like the XR650, the engine is an older design, tried and tested, reliable, but heavy and would need significant work to make it truly edgy, I think the 450 or the 510 are more "thoroughbred" like and thus would be the more logical choice.

If you read up over on the Husky forum, those guys love their bikes, and rave about reliability, performance and ease of maintenance so there are some good clues there, so what if you have to drive for an hour every once in a while to get a part, that would not be a deal breaker for me, if I wanted race like performance, street legal out of the box and a badass looking machine, I would buy one of those 2 bikes, have the dealer throw in a few oil filters, include the cost of de restricting it, and the first initial break in service in my purchase price so I had everything I needed to get me a year down the road and call it a day.

the fastest and most powerful supermoto right out of the box is either the Husaberg FS650e or the Aprilia sxv 550. nothing comes remotely close as far as horsepower to weight ratio is concerned to either one of these bikes. both bikes come from the factory with well over 60hp. now tell me, what other bike comes from the factory with over 60hp and weighs less than 250lbs??? only one bike does that: Husaberg FS650e, and it's street legal and can be plated. the Aprilia has slightly more horsepower of course, it's a twin cylinder but, unfortunately, it is hard to get plated and it weighs more than the husaberg. but both bikes are excellent and there's nothing legal on the road that can touch them regarding the weight/horsepower ratio.

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02061.jpg

Unfortunately, the Husaberg isn't street legal here in CA (I'm pretty sure) and to be honest, I have never seen one in person. Not sure if there is even a dealer within 100 miles of where I live. The Aprilia is street legal out of the box here, but there has been so much talk about the engines grenading, I would not call that the perfect SM. They look bitchin and they have tons of power, but reliability leaves alot to be desired, so I hear.

I am currently riding a DRZ, but may soon be moving to a Husky. I love my DRZ, but want a little more power and would love to have one more gear choice in the tranny. I have a local Husky dealer and have read great things about the reliability. Just need to figure out if I go with the 610 or the 510. I do alot of commuting so I am leaning more toward the 610, but damn the 510 is tempting.

Unless i'm mistaken, the 2006-2007 husaberg fs550e and fs650e are both street legal, at least, that's what i'm reading on the Supermoto junkie forums. there are 2 guys, one from san francisco and one from another part of california that have 2006 fs650e models plated and are always on the forums. i don't know anything about husqvarna's, but i do know that the husaberg FS650e is the only 650cc bike with over 60hp and weighs less than 250lbs out of the box, direct from the factory.

Unless i'm mistaken, the 2006-2007 husaberg fs550e and fs650e are both street legal, at least, that's what i'm reading on the Supermoto junkie forums. there are 2 guys, one from san francisco and one from another part of california that have 2006 fs650e models plated and are always on the forums. i don't know anything about husqvarna's, but i do know that the husaberg FS650e is the only 650cc bike with over 60hp and weighs less than 250lbs out of the box, direct from the factory.

It is very possible I was wrong. Actually, after checking their website, pretty sure I was wrong. Only problem, nearest dealer is 2.5-3 hours from my house.

don't forget that with the internet and phone, placing your order and usually sometime in the next 2-3 days, you have a visit from a man in a brown truck delivering parts. I can say uptite, motoexotics and gp will usually ship within 24-48 hours. otherwise you can call Hall's. they are all great bikes, I think the big factor is ergonomics and the grin factor on your face. :thumbsup::)

License plates for Husaberg's in CA and some other states are not a slam dunk.

The plate situation on these bikes is something you have to work out with your dealer on a personal basis. Yes a license plate is possible but it's something best kept below the radar. Don't want to go from blip to bogey with the DMV. The dealer could get fined and the buyer could have the plate revoked.

So mumm's the word. Don't be a spaz, calling up over the phone and fishing for a yes or no answer on a license plate. For all the dealer knows you could be a state investigator. If you're serious pay a personal visit to the dealer and quietly ask about the low down.

When supermoto bikes switch to fuel injection getting them plated should be less of an issue. FI is good and all but it's a lot easier to work, tinker and adjust carburated bikes.

I've had 2 super moto bikes DRZ and SMR 510. I still haven't found the perfect SM bike but I'm still looking.

The SMR is gone... too much vibration,too much head work required, and also didn't like the close ratio 6 speed box. It had too many gears and not enough spacing between them.

The DRZ was underpowered but it didn't vibrate and there was a Suzuki dealer only 5 miles away. For $500, I upped the power and it is acceptable. I will keep it until I find that perfect replacement.

For me, the perfect street SM would be at 275 lb max.. 475 cc min... 50 hp. min. ..6 speed wide ratio... and have an engine balancer to get away from annoying and self destructing vibration. Oh, and a local dealer.

All of the Japanese manufactures already have all of the parts needed to make my perfect SM. They just haven't done it yet. Soon maybe??:thumbsup:

Tony

Id think adding 2 teeth to the front sprocket on the 510 would help a lot with the close-ratio thing. (or 1 front, drop 6-8 rear)

If i wanted the perfect machine to waste everyone on the track id get the Husaberg, and if i had to pick reliability and big bore id go with the XR650R, and of cource something thats road legal but still feels like a racer would be the SM510. All depends on what you wanta do.