changing tires... $100?

At the shop that I work at we charge $60hr and a $30 minimum.

If you bring your bike in and it takes the tech 5min it costs $30.

If he takes 15min $30. If it take the tech 30min $30.

So you can see it can add up quick.

The way you do bis. with everyone changes when you have had to stand behind a counter and hear someone complain about you prices.

You become more respectful than you already are,you give people ample notice,and you don't just show up and expect your stuff(work) to be put in front of other people. Normally at our shop we do the tire right when you bring them in,normally not a big deal. Everyone wants their bike/atv done first and it doesn't matter how many people are in front of them,it gets old,believe me it gets old. Do they have their shop rate posted?Did they give you an estimate? Most shops around here charge a $20 flat rate for changing a tire(OFF THE BIKE). It is always cheaper to do things yourself,the less time it takes the tech the less money it costs you.

I hope that I haven't come across as a doo bag,I just think that if more people are informed then it will help them out. The way I see it we are like the doctor,we didn't give you the sickness,we don't make the medicine,all we do is appy it and put your pieces back together again. At our shop we all ride,as much as possible. We don't want to screw people over or do people wrong,we just want to get them out of the shop as quickly ,and as cheap as possible so they can enjoy their vehicle. We don't set the shop rate,or any of our prices,tHE BIG WIGS(HNICs) do that,we just do the work and collect the money.

Also it is never good to cop an attitude or get smart,OR BE A JERK,to the doctor about to work on you or your stuff.

just my .10 cents from another angle:thumbsup:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My local Honda shop (only dealer in our town) will not mount new tires I purchased elsewhere but will mount used tires if I bring the tires and wheels in to him. He only charges $20.00 per tire. It doesn't hurt that I have purchased 2 new bikes and 4 used from him through the years. He gives me all kinds of breaks. I now do my own tires and save the $20 for fuel.

Considering how easy it is for the shop with their tire machines to change tires, specially if you bring in the rim off the bike, I think $100. dollars is just their way of saying they don't care if you ever return again.

They should have just said "We don't normally mount tires that we did not sell and we are only going to do it this time as a favor. It will be $30. per tire. Next time purchase from us or mount your own."

At discount tire, we offered siping for tires. Usually, it took about a minute per tire. Some people would come in with rocks in their tires, had been driving them for a week after we sold them, and decided they wanted them siped. We had to go through and pick out all the rocks before we started. Other times, we had to use special attachments that took a minute extra or so to attach to the wheel. Not a lot of time, but twice normal.

One time a lady came in and watched her tires being siped. She was suprised how little time it took for the money she paid, and she expressed that. I told her that sometimes it took much longer, but we had to charge the same. She looked at me, rather perterbed and said "So it sounds like we just pay you to do it because you have the equipment." I said exactly. I was on the job representing the company, but I thought about mentioning that she pays $500 for a doctor to take 30 seconds, glance at an Xray, and tell you what pill to take, because he has the equipment.

If you sometimes ride far from roadside help and far from phone service, you should learn how to fix flats in the field. So...if you are a "real dual-sporter" you will change your own tires just for the practice. Only girly-men pay someone else to change their tires. (OMG, did I really say that? ? )

Just think, every time you change tires yourself you will save $100. Yay! ?

what do you plan to do abut inventory?

we have $500,000 in tire inventory.

"change tires" does not = sell tires

but who cares... I would pay a 100 bucks to get my tires changed... just an idea for a little side pocket change:thumbsup:

Lol... Eddie is right about the Gold Wing- heard about a guy trying to get his rim off. Took him days. Shaft drives are great until.....

LMFAO I have a shaftie (BMW K100LT) you could put a trailer hitch on it like a wing if ya wanted. Total Tire Change time for both front and rear was ~1hr with a beer break in there somewhere. The only EXTRA step was taking the rear mudflap thingy off. What's so hard about that ?

its on the bike.$100 might be a little over board,but you didnt buy the tires from them either.

most shops wont even mount tire they didnt sell.

Then that shop would lose all of my buisness. Money is money wether your making it from changing a tire or selling one. Customers are more important to a buissness than the profit made on a new tire. If they aren't then I dont go there. I just paid a shop $15 for a tire swap for a tire that I brought to them. The tire was still on the bike and they lubed my chain and changed my tube for free.. that shop now has a customer that buys all his parts there. Thats how buisness should be. I went to a shop once to have a tube changed and they charged me $50 for a tube and the rim was off the bike.. geuss what, the tube leaked before i ever rode it, they argued saying it was ridden.. they wont see a dime from me ever again.

Dont pay $100 for 20 minutes of labor.

I do agree with Eddie. Its similar to tipping at a restaurant. You tip or pay for the services. Same thing with a tire change at a shop. They are providing you with a service and are making a living.

Seems we live in a country where everyone wants something for nothing.

its just simple economics, most of these shops have no competition or there prices and service would be better.

well i asked around im buying the harbor freight tire changer and my friend is going to show me how to balance wheels. this is stuff i really think i should know anyhow, especially the tire changing part.

You guys kill me. you don't want to pay anything for your bike or your parts...and you want them install for pocket change.

Where do you think a shop should be allowed to make some money.

I don't see many cycle shops getting wealthy....in fact I see a lot of them struggle to survive. Give them a break...will ya.

If you guys think these shop are making huge profits. Start up a shop.

Think about all the costs of running a buisiness

Start up cost 100,000 - 1,000,000 +

Inventory / Fixed costs - rent / telephone / heat / motrgae payments / insurance and the list goes on

Employees -Wages - holiday pay - paid coffee breaks - paid sick days

Warrenty - costs

Equipment costs - maintenence / repair / replacement

The list goes on and on and on and on and on

75 % of new business go broke 20% do OK @ 5% make good money

Start up your shop and let us now how you do

I can do my own tires. I work slow. I do the work that I enjoy. I do not enjoy doing tires. Not having fun (working slow prolongs the agony) is not how I want to use my time.

I will pull the wheel(s) on my SM, drive the 45 minutes to the dealer, shoot the sh*t with the parts guy or other customers, browse, pay my $35.00/per and go home.

Some tires are so easy, that I do not mind it (construction equipment, tractor, dirt bike). Road tires of the tubeless variety, too stiff, let someone else deal with it. My .02