02' YZ250F questions.

So, I may be getting a 02' YZ250F very soon, and I don't know much about it. Right now, I just want to know what problems this bike had, where it excelled, and what really needed to be improved.

Right now, it has some aftermarket plastics and graphics on it, but the guy has the stock plastics, a FMF titanium exhaust, and a NIB piston and rings. He's selling it for $2,100, with all that included, and he raced it, and it is in very good condition, I even inspected it. Good deal or no?

The 02 is a good bike like all Yami's if they are taken care of they are very dependable bikes. But, remember the 02 has the manual decompression, so if you do get it, you may want to put in an '03 cam for the auto-decomp. $2100 sounds reasonable.

no it not a good deal a good deal is like 1800-1900 for it i have an 2003 with all that stuff the titanium 4 exhaust with powerbomb header 2 hours on new piston modified head brand new tires dunlop new plastic and grapics and at the dealer they only give me 2200 for it and its like brand new

no it not a good deal a good deal is like 1800-1900 for it i have an 2003 with all that stuff the titanium 4 exhaust with powerbomb header 2 hours on new piston modified head brand new tires dunlop new plastic and grapics and at the dealer they only give me 2200 for it and its like brand new

What did you expect from a dealer? Im actualy surprised they offered you that much.

Thats not a bad deal, but its not a steal either. That seems like a good buy.Somtimes the best deals arren't always the best choice.

You guys wana talk about a good deal? I got ym 02' WR for $1,500. The thing was mint also. Everything in the motor was in spec. Also came with alot of YZF accesories like exhuast, tank, seat, rear fender. And had frame guards and a GYTR skid plate.

Just got it yesterday!

yz250f1.jpg

yz250f.jpg

I love it! It accelerates wicked fast, but it's not like a 250 2-stroke or a 450 4-stroke where it doesn't stop accelerating. It turns and stops on a dime too, but it is a bit heavy. The guy who sold it put in some sort of cam to get rid of the decompression lever, not sure what type, and recently had the whole engine re-done with a new Wiseco piston and rings. Also, Factory Connection set-up the suspension for him, and had new valves in the forks, and a new rear spring installed, but I need to adjust it, as I am not as fast as the guy who sold it to me, and it doesn't compress fast enough, but rebounds really fast. I also have a crap load of plastics, full FMF titanium exhaust, new Yamaha piston and rings, and the stock for components. I also believe it has ASV levers, definitely has new grips, and the graphics are quite obvious. All it needs is one new spoke on the front, and eventually a new front tire, and sprockets and chain.

I'm just sad because it's all dirty now. Freaking poured today, and the track I was riding on was like a GP track. I also owe my mom's BF $1,810. Looks like it's going to be a while until I get another paintball gun. Too bad, I was just about to have the $190 to get me a VS2.

According to him though, working for him, I'll have it paid off in a month. So, by the end of summer, I should have a 2007 Ego also. ?

That is a nice looking bike, congrats. What I had done to mine,

-Stainless steel front brake line routed CR sytle

-powernow

-Icat

-Dr.D hot start lever

-pro circuit T4 system.

-13/49 gearing combo

-run redline water wetter coolant

-vented front fender.

Hope this helps for ideas, remember to check your valves often. Oh and don't over rev it.

That is a nice looking bike, congrats. What I had done to mine,

-Stainless steel front brake line routed CR sytle

-powernow

-Icat

-Dr.D hot start lever

-pro circuit T4 system.

-13/49 gearing combo

-run redline water wetter coolant

-vented front fender.

Hope this helps for ideas, remember to check your valves often. Oh and don't over rev it.

I won't have to worry about over-revving it for a while, I'm still getting used to it. Why did you route the brake like CR style though? My mom's BF drilled holes in his front number plate to vent it, but I may be racing, so I probably won't do that. Water wetter sounds like a great idea though, definitely wouldn't have needed it yesterday, it was like I was riding in an ocean. Otherwise, I think I'm going to leave it like it is. It serves its purpose fine, I just gotta pick up some sprockets, chain, and a front tire.

I'm looking at buying this one, for me and my son.

What does everyone think it's worth ?

And if I drop in the 03 cam from an 04 yzf250, assuming the bike has very low hours, I wouldn't not need to replace the timing chain would I ??

02yzf250.jpg

02yzf2502.jpg

Looks like its in good condition except for the drive chain, unless its the lighting it looks like its rusted and crap. Other parts of it look good, check the forks for any leaks, and test the front head bearing for any weird issues, if it moves back and forward while on a stand (the front wheel) then it might have a problem. I seriously wouldn't get the auto decompression, I got an '02 yz250f and I was planning on gettiing the auto decomp but 120 bucks isn't worth that. Best of luck!

The front brake routing ala CR, makes it a more direct route, this allows the fluid a shorter distance, hence doing its job faster. No spongy feel and with the stainless line, wow, awesome feel and stopping power.

The front brake routing ala CR, makes it a more direct route, this allows the fluid a shorter distance, hence doing its job faster. No spongy feel and with the stainless line, wow, awesome feel and stopping power.

Yeah, that's one thing I love about this bike over my CRF100. I think it has a brake fluid leak or something. At the beginning of the day, the front master cylinder was full, and the braking was awesome, but at the end, the brakes felt excessively spongy, and I really couldn't see too well, but it looked empty. Although, riding in a monsoon makes your brakes do that, eh?

Oh yeah, anyone else had or having a problem with the kickstarter and rear brake lever? Where you put your foot on the kickstarter, it's excessively short, and hard to get the leverage needed to start it, and the rear brake lever is tucked in way too far. I was going to bend the rear brake lever out slightly as not to break it, but do they make aftermarket kickstarters or will I have to weld something onto my current starter?

Just got it yesterday!

I love it! It accelerates wicked fast, but it's not like a 250 2-stroke or a 450 4-stroke where it doesn't stop accelerating. It turns and stops on a dime too, but it is a bit heavy. The guy who sold it put in some sort of cam to get rid of the decompression lever, not sure what type, and recently had the whole engine re-done with a new Wiseco piston and rings. Also, Factory Connection set-up the suspension for him, and had new valves in the forks, and a new rear spring installed, but I need to adjust it, as I am not as fast as the guy who sold it to me, and it doesn't compress fast enough, but rebounds really fast. I also have a crap load of plastics, full FMF titanium exhaust, new Yamaha piston and rings, and the stock for components. I also believe it has ASV levers, definitely has new grips, and the graphics are quite obvious. All it needs is one new spoke on the front, and eventually a new front tire, and sprockets and chain.

I'm just sad because it's all dirty now. Freaking poured today, and the track I was riding on was like a GP track. I also owe my mom's BF $1,810. Looks like it's going to be a while until I get another paintball gun. Too bad, I was just about to have the $190 to get me a VS2.

According to him though, working for him, I'll have it paid off in a month. So, by the end of summer, I should have a 2007 Ego also. ?

Good score! That thing looks cleaner than my '03!? Welcome to the blue side.:ride:

I loved that bike! Got an 02 brand new and raced it for 2 years without any problems whatsoever. Sold it to a freind of mine who also loved it. He then sold it to another guy last year who tells him he has been just as happy. Its a good bike and will treat you well as long as you treat it well.