no more speedo

hey. my speedometer does not work anymore. it shows a constant 0mph. what could be wrong with it. it worked fine until yesterday. i was doing wheelies and it just stopped working. anyone else have this problem? i have the plastic tab on the speedometer (black piece) under the aluminum tab on the fork legs. it was on top when it happened, but i tried to fix it tonight and it didn't work.

Rob

My speedo stopped after a tire change. I wondered what did I screw up? It ended up being loose at the back of the speedo as others have mentioned.

Don't feel bad I once took delivery of a brand new Honda 750 and rode it home trying to figure out why the instruments didn't read right. When I looked I discovered the dealer had switched the drive cables between the tach and speedo when they assembled the bike. So much for the dealer prep and test.

My speedo stopped after a tire change. I wondered what did I screw up? It ended up being loose at the back of the speedo as others have mentioned.

Look at the rear of the speedometer gearbox. It has a tab. Is the gearbox tab sitting on top of the metal tab of the fork, or underneath it?

If the gearbox tab is underneath the fork tab, that is most likely your problem.

Look at the rear of the speedometer gearbox. It has a tab. Is the gearbox tab sitting on top of the metal tab of the fork, or underneath it?

If the gearbox tab is underneath the fork tab, that is most likely your problem.

Hmm, he states it unscrewed from the speedo, did having the tab in the wrong place do that?

Teasing. If it works for you, then do it! Naps work for me. ?

That was my first thought, that I must have re-assembled something wrong. All the wheel parts were fine, found the problem when checking to see if inner cable spun when wheel did. I didnt have to remove cable from speedo as it was already disconnected. After verifying inner cable was not broken, I put it back on speedo and havent had any trouble since. That was 1500 miles ago ,90%dirt. ?

I had my speedo gears strip before. Make sure the cable it tight at both ends. If so, take off the wheel and look at the inside of the gear assembly.

The speedo is always reading high, who needs it anyway!!!

thanks. i tried to tighten my speedometer cable at the top and it was tight, but not all the way screwed in, but i couldnt tighten it anymore. the bottom is debated whether it makes a difference on the top or bottom. i had it on the top and it didnt work, and on the bottom it still doesnt work. anything else i should check??

Thanks

• 1 year later...