registration laws ??

does any one know the laws of registering a bike?? not for the road just for trail riding... is it really worth it ?

does any one know the laws of registering a bike?? not for the road just for trail riding... is it really worth it ?

it is if you live in california. i wouldnt know about Mass.

Yes, I believe it is worth it for the following reasons:

1. Opens up more choices for riding places that require at least an offroad registration
  2. You must get liability insurance to be registered and riding in any public location without liability insurance is a guaranteed ticket
  3. Makes your bike more marketable when you try to sell it

I just found out my local dealer can get it done for me plus I can get insurance through them so I plan on doing it next week.

Do you need more than a Bill of Sale to get your bike an ATV plate in Massachusetts???

I don't have an MSO for my smoker so I can't register it here. My parents still live in MA so I was thinking about getting it registered there. All you used to need to register Snowmobiles and ATVs (that yellow plate) was a Bill of Sale 10-15yrs ago when I lived there.

Thanks for any help.

^^^ I do believe you need more then the bill of sale for registration ...

Yes, I believe it is worth it for the following reasons:

1. Opens up more choices for riding places that require at least an offroad registration
  2. You must get liability insurance to be registered and riding in any public location without liability insurance is a guaranteed ticket
  3. Makes your bike more marketable when you try to sell it

I just found out my local dealer can get it done for me plus I can get insurance through them so I plan on doing it next week.

I'll partially agree with #1 ... Unfortunately there are so few places to ride it's kinda rediculous, but I do agree ... #2 is a new one to me ... My bike has an orv plate and I have no insurance ... I was also never aware that I could potentially be ticketed for such a thing ... Are you buying new? ... #3 is a definate plus ...

Over all I think the entire thing sucks, but it is what it is ... Mine's registered for off road use, I'll pay the taxes and whatever else comes along ... It's just the right thing to do ...

Do you need more than a Bill of Sale to get your bike an ATV plate in Massachusetts???

I don't have an MSO for my smoker so I can't register it here. My parents still live in MA so I was thinking about getting it registered there. All you used to need to register Snowmobiles and ATVs (that yellow plate) was a Bill of Sale 10-15yrs ago when I lived there.

Thanks for any help.

I was able to get a duplicate MSO through my local Yamaha dealer for $100 and all I needed was my VIN. I bought my bike used with no MSO so at first I was bummed out about that but then I called Yamaha and they said I could get the duplicate at my local dealer. I called my dealer and at first they said they couldn't do it but then I had them call Yamaha and then they restated they could. You should try it.

I was able to get a duplicate MSO through my local Yamaha dealer for $100 and all I needed was my VIN. I bought my bike used with no MSO so at first I was bummed out about that but then I called Yamaha and they said I could get the duplicate at my local dealer. I called my dealer and at first they said they couldn't do it but then I had them call Yamaha and then they restated they could. You should try it.

:thumbsup: Thanks I will try that. Local Kawi Dealer sucks big time, but maybe the guys back a Valley can help me out if the Local guys aren't helpful enough.

I just registered my ttr125le here in VT. All i need was a bill of sale and proof of insurance. Don't need a title under 250cc... Now when I move to MA that is different - do they require a title no matter what size or can I transfer my plates from VT to MA AND do you need a motorcycle endorsement to GET plates in MA?

Well Kawasaki wants a Paper Trail :busted: They were very courteous and helpful, but they won't re-issue an MSO unless you can show a bill of sale for each time the bike has changed hands. They also wanted me to go to the Dealer it was orignally purchased from (they're out of business though so any will do now) But I'm the 4th owner, I bought it from some rednecks in Alabama that had bought it from their inlaws and they bought it used from someone else. Arrgggh :thumbsup: So tracking down the orignally owner is probably going to be impossible.

My KX is in pieces at the moment but hopefully within the next month or 2 I'll have it all back together with a brand new motor, tires and suspension. doGdamnit and I won't even be able to ride it on public lands, legally.

Looks like next time around I'll just buy a brand new bike :thumbsup: I wish more people would title their dirtbikes, it'd help everyone.

Well Kawasaki wants a Paper Trail :busted: They were very courteous and helpful, but they won't re-issue an MSO unless you can show a bill of sale for each time the bike has changed hands. They also wanted me to go to the Dealer it was orignally purchased from (they're out of business though so any will do now) But I'm the 4th owner, I bought it from some rednecks in Alabama that had bought it from their inlaws and they bought it used from someone else. Arrgggh :thumbsup: So tracking down the orignally owner is probably going to be impossible.

My KX is in pieces at the moment but hopefully within the next month or 2 I'll have it all back together with a brand new motor, tires and suspension. doGdamnit and I won't even be able to ride it on public lands, legally.

Looks like next time around I'll just buy a brand new bike :thumbsup: I wish more people would title their dirtbikes, it'd help everyone.

Next time buy a Yamaha.:cheers: :

Sorry, couldn't resist the blue vs green dig:smirk: That is too bad. Actually now I am thinking about getting a street legal bike and the KLX 250S is one of my possible choices.