Ready to buy 05/06 450x need advice please

Hi all, been riding since I was 16 now 50 and after riding my neighbor's 05 CRF450x my bubble burst and I have sold my DRZ400. Now I have to decide should I buy a brand new 06 450x for $6099 OTD from the dealer 300 miles away or my neighbors 05 CRF450x who is 70, bought his new in 06 installed a Kuba lowering link and has only 175 slow trail miles on the bike, still pristine for $5500. I know because I helped him pick out the bike and install the Kuba link.

Question 1 which is the better deal?

Question 2 were there any significant improvement or changes made in 06 vs 05 like the problem with the transmission eating 5th gear?

Any info on this will be appreciated as I have to decide by Monday either way which to buy.?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, been riding since I was 16 now 50 and after riding my neighbor's 05 CRF450x my bubble burst and I have sold my DRZ400. Now I have to decide should I buy a brand new 06 450x for $6099 OTD from the dealer 300 miles away or my neighbors 05 CRF450x who is 70, bought his new in 06 installed a Kuba lowering link and has only 175 slow trail miles on the bike, still pristine for $5500. I know because I helped him pick out the bike and install the Kuba link.

Question 1 which is the better deal?

Question 2 were there any significant improvement or changes made in 06 vs 05 like the problem with the transmission eating 5th gear?

Any info on this will be appreciated as I have to decide by Monday either way which to buy.?

There is no mechanical differences between '05 and '06. I think 5500.00 is high for the '05. Besides, if it is only slow trail riding, it is possible the rings were never seated correctly, and the piston has blow-by. I'd get a better deal or go new. Don't worry about 5th gear lock-ups, unless you are really abusive to your machinery.

I also heard that the 06 had leaner restrictions over the 05 model and has a problem with off idle bog hesitation. Why the 07 model ($7600 out) has added acceleration pump to overcome the 06 problem.

The problem is the guy is my friend and the bike is like new and he did brake it in correctly revving and power accelerating every few moments when new. Do you know if the 07 model ($7600 OTD) has any improvements over the 06/05 besides the acceleration pump like the engine tilted forward like the "R" modle to improve cornering?

I also heard that the 06 had leaner restrictions over the 05 model and has a problem with off idle bog hesitation. Why the 07 model ($7600 out) has added acceleration pump to overcome the 06 problem.

The problem is the guy is my friend and the bike is like new and he did brake it in correctly revving and power accelerating every few moments when new. Do you know if the 07 model ($7600 OTD) has any improvements over the 06/05 besides the acceleration pump like the engine tilted forward like the "R" modle to improve cornering?

Let's clear this up:

- '05,'06,'07 models are all exactly the same accept for:

- '07 has:

1. an improved accelerator pump cover (not a new pump, just the plastic cover: this is to help with a vaccum leak issue as I understand it)

2. a plastic instead of aluminum chain guide

3. an improved 3rd gear driven cog (the one that can seize if abused)

4. a few different mounting arrangement changes

5. graphics

6. and some other inconsiquetial item I can't remember right now

The '07 X has NONE of the performance changes done to the 'R series. No engine tilt, no accelerator pump change, no next generation frame, no head porting change, etc, etc.

Remember, the X and the R do not share a lot of parts. In fact, they share about 7 parts between them. Even though the parts are similar looking (like the frame) and some can be swapped (head, cam, pipe) they mostly are completely different bikes.

I hope I have helped.

Yes you have helped thanks, especially on the non-existent carb pump on the 450x model that the dealer tole me was on the 07 to override the higher restrictions in the 06 model. The 3rd gear cog change for 07 is significant to me as Murphy's Law always seems to pick on me rather then an abuser. Since I live in AZ I am also going to get the bike street registered (horn, left mirror, & plate holder). I was going to buy the new KTM450EXC street legal model but I have herd of too many problems with coolant over flows and the need for a fan kit. Also the KTM has no lowering link to ease the crotch and tiptoes. I thought about the Husky but I have visions of exotic parts and repairs I can't handle $$$. So the 450x seems to be the best choice for a duel purpose bike that can take me to the gym, pool and trails provided the Sierra Club folks stop pestering our legislators about a new volcanic fungus that is being affected.

?

PS one thing the dealer said about the 07 model that was correct was that it has some sort of 50 state new emission device you can see in the 07 photo by the exhaust port and just behind the right radiator.

Yes you have helped thanks, especially on the non-existent carb pump on the 450x model that the dealer tole me was on the 07 to override the higher restrictions in the 06 model. The 3rd gear cog change for 07 is significant to me as Murphy's Law always seems to pick on me rather then an abuser. Since I live in AZ I am also going to get the bike street registered (horn, left mirror, & plate holder). I was going to buy the new KTM450EXC street legal model but I have herd of too many problems with coolant over flows and the need for a fan kit. Also the KTM has no lowering link to ease the crotch and tiptoes. I thought about the Husky but I have visions of exotic parts and repairs I can't handle $$$. So the 450x seems to be the best choice for a duel purpose bike that can take me to the gym, pool and trails provided the Sierra Club folks stop pestering our legislators about a new volcanic fungus that is being affected.

?

PS one thing the dealer said about the 07 model that was correct was that it has some sort of 50 state new emission device you can see in the 07 photo by the exhaust port and just behind the right radiator.[/QUOTE]

All dual-sportable bikes come extra lean, and can overheat without provocation. This includes the X, if you do not jet it properly. These bikes are not designed to sit idling for more than 3 minutes. That is why you hear about the fan requirements on X's, EXC's, XR650's, etc. It is the nature of a off road designed bike. If you are aware of this and 'work around it' you can get away without a fan. But re-jet you must with ANY off road bike that is 50 state/green sticker. Period.

The smog pump comes on every X.

No I'm 50 and I think dirt bike riding is a good bench mark to test ones overall health because the only way I can do it now is if I work out. So I have this little contract with myself " no work out (i.e 7 miles on the bicycle/aerobics) no riding motorcycles that day". I also think that dirt bike riders make the best street bike riders just as marathon runners make better walkers IMHO.

As for Bob who is 70 but an experienced long time dirt rider he doesent exercise at all and suffered 2 very simple low speed falls on the 450x in front of me. One where he stalled it in the pumpkin patch and landed the bike between his bruised leg and a bolder and a second 4 days later that broke 5 ribs when he washed out in a sand wash and got sandwiched again this time the bolder in his side and the bike on top. The bike didn't get a scratch and to Bobs credit he rode out of the desert on his own and then drove himself to the hospital. Ever since that day he hasn't ridden the 450x only installed the Kuba link and allowed me to test it out (sweet). I keep thinking the bike bike must be special because I never ridden a dirt bike with such power and surefootedness. Made my DRZ which I loved feel like a very capable cow in comparison.

"or my neighbors 05 CRF450x who is 70"

70!?!?

I was worried I'd have to sell mine after I turned 50! Now I have hope!!!

?

I know guys that are 70, or darn close to it, that can blow the doors off most guys a fraction of their age. They will ride most riders, of any age, into the ground. Period. 100-150 mile rides are nothing to them. Notice how many on these boards are 50+.

So, if you want to stay young, don't act old. Stay on that bike and know you can do it for as long as you want. It's the people that start thinking they're too old and stop doing this cool stuff, that shrivel away. Jeez, you see so many people who are old before their time, because they gave up on being vibrant and young. You create your own reality. If you think you're too old, you are. So, don't ever think you're too old and chances are you won't be.

OK. I'm prepared to either ask Bob in a very nice way to bring his price down $500 to $5000, or just put out $6099 OTD for a brand 06 new model.

What concerns me is the article in a predominant bike magazine that alludes to the fact of a catalog part change for the transmission of the CFR450X involving the suspect problem. Just the confirmation that a part change did actually occurred which involves the same parts that was reported by many to have failures make me wonder because the excuse the magazines gives with attitude make me believe the that manufacturer is taking here and maybe trying to deflect the some truth. Also you will notice the finger pointing toward a certain BBS board which also has some point.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0601_crf450_transmission_issues/

"Dear XXXXX,

Have you heard of any problems with the CRF450X and the transmission seizing up the 3rd gear on the countershaft with the 2005 model? I know of six cases were this has happened in the last two months. All of them while in 5th gear, the rear tire locks up and all that is left is 3rd gear.

I have heard that the 2006 model has a different part number that addresses this but Honda will not say anything about it. And since there is no warranty on the race bikes, the consumer is getting hit with a $1000 bill to fix it."

"Roger,

Were you there to see it, or is it the internet going off again?

The real problem is the transmission oil level is too low. The reason the repair cost is so high is 5th gear is seized to the countershaft, trapping other gears that have no damage."

Regarding part number changes in the transmission: When checking the parts list for both 2005 & 2006, 3rd gear countershafts show a superseded part number. I did a little research and found that the part number changed in January 2005; this was before the release of the CRF450X. In effect, this means there is no production change to the gearbox for 2005 or 2006.

There were some similar issues with the 2002 CRF450R. If you knock around a site like Thumpertalk you will find reports of this happening to some CRF250s—both R & X's—as well. When you think about it, the basic design of five gears and a wet clutch has been around for a long time and the separate tranny and engine isn't really playing into this case."

I just cant believe I have to drive 300 miles to get a good deal. Everyone else seems to want about $1000 more so I guess its worth it. Anybody want to say how much they spent OTD for their 06? This dealer wants $6700 for an 07 OTD. He also mentioned when I prodded him that both Honda and KTM might be going to FI for 08. It would seem that there would be extra weight with FI and concerns over pressurized fuel taking off road hits.

Well I gave Bob the news that I won't be buying his 05x and just gave the kind excuse that I couldn't pass up the deal on a new 06x for $500 more with depreciation and all and out of respect I didn't make a offer for a lower price although I would have defiantly bought it for $5000.

Just for the heck of it while running errands I stopped by the Kawasaki dealer to look and sit on the new 08 450r. I was surprised that stock my feet were flat on the ground, not even my old DRZ was was that low until I installed the Kuba link. Overall the bike looked allot more attractive in person then in its photo's but that header protrusion and the configuration of 6 over the counter cheesy hose clamps from water pump to split radiators was a real eye opener in my book WTH!. I can understand now why would be such a quiet bike as the large exhaust can had an exit hole about the same diameter as a dime, no kidding. The OTD price here locally was $7900, too steep for me in comparison to a new 06 450x for $6099 OTD and what I could accomplish with $1800 worth of mods. Too bad because I sort of liked it and would have saved my 600 mile round trip tomorrow for the 06x.

10 hours from now I will be driving my 91 Nissan pickup with 189,000 miles on it from Bullhead AZ to Inglewood CA. Its supposed to be only 90 degrees tomorrow so I hope the old Nissan doesn't have any issue, but I'm not scared the brakes are good tires fair. My next post will be a picture of the bike.

It is probably too late but why not just offer Bob $5000? Or even $4500? That is definitely not lowballing him as $5500 is too high. Brand new '06s are $5499OTD around here. Even at $5000 he is doing quite well. I have been selling my mint '05 for $4600 with little interest and I have an offer of $4400 I may take, so like I said, $5000 is a very fair price for him and $4500 is still pretty fair. I would love to get that for mine. I have not seen his bike but if it is in good shape, savings of at least $1100-$1600 over new is nothing to scoff at. Plus you are likely to spend at least $100 in gas to make the drive to CA.

Here is a link to mine for comparison:

http://www.bimmermagazine.com/pics/CRF450X/

BTW, if you are set on new, I would shop around a bit more. New '06s are $5499 OTD across the state line from me in OK and new '07s are $6199 OTD.

http://www.bartlesvillecyclesports.com/

Click on May pricing

Southern Honda in TN has new '07s for $6083 OTD and new '06s for $5383 OTD.

http://www.southernhonda.com/

I know both of those dealer are pretty far from you but I would like to think there are similar deals to be had on the west coast but I am not familiar with the dealers there.