Sign in to follow this  

Post pics of your dirt ready DR !

For those who ride mostly off road, desert & woods, please post pics of your DR 650SE. And while you are at it , please tell us how you removed some of that excess weight and stiffened the suspension. Thanks

This is as dirt-ready as my DR is going to get. It's lost over 15 lbs of CA emissions, footpegs, gas tank, turn signals, reflectors, exhaust, and a few small items I'm sure I'm forgetting. It's DynoJetted and has oversized exhaust header, knobby tires, and has been fully resprung on Eibach springs. It's night a day different from stock form in the dirt, but still no CR250. :thumbsup: It now fits my riding style perfectly though.

Shawn

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=41989

A few months ago:

aqzt8.jpg

I removed the pillion pegs, turn signals, pillion grab rails, license plate bracket, helmet lock, speedo, switchgear on the left handlebar and some other stuff I forgot.

I upgraded the suspension with the forks of a vintage RM mx bike, stiffer spring on the rear shock which has been refurbished to get better damping, 18" rear wheel, Acerbis plastic gas tank.

I weighed it once with a full tank of gas and the spare tools I normally cary with me and it came down to 158kgs (350lbs).

I need to get that skidplate everyone has (pics 1 &2 and numerous other bikes I 've seen on this board) .

This is TT's skidplate right ?

I have a feeling that you just dont want to ride offroad without it .

I need to get that skidplate everyone has (pics 1 &2 and numerous other bikes I 've seen on this board) .

This is TT's skidplate right ?

I have a feeling that you just dont want to ride offroad without it .

The skid on pic 1 and 2 are Utah Sport Cycle (Riccochet) plates. www.utahsportcycle.com It has cutouts for the drain plugs and is a cinch to mount. I highly recommend it.

I'm not aware of any TT site sponsors that carry that particular skid.

I went with the Riccochet skid plate due to the excellent experience I had with their skid products for my 2006 Outlander 800 Max. The skids are tough, easy to install, and look great! :thumbsup:

attachment.php?id=240

attachment.php?id=243

Red_Dirt_07_033.jpg

My bike probably has gained weight (tires) but I compensated for it by putting Race Tech emulators in the forks and a Gold Valve in the shock. Of course, I added stiffer springs front and rear. The Race Tech stuff allows me to adjust the forks stiffer for technical offroad stuff or a little softer for pavement. The rear valving gives the DR much better rebound damping and keeps it from dancing around on the roots.

I also added oversized aluminum handlebars and barkbusters which have saved me from busting up my levers many times. The stockers would been trashed on many occasions had I left them on.

For offroading I have a longer chain which allows me to use a smaller front sprocket (14t) and larger rear sprocket (45t. This gives me the flexibility to put the stock front sprocket on quickly for long distance rides.

Tires: Dunlop 606 or Kenda 760 on the rear / Pirelli MT18 HD on the front.

How does it adjust on the forks Nav?

It's not something I would do on the trail (although I could). I have to remove the springs, and pull out the emulators, then adjust the valve spring preload on the emulators. It takes about 10 - 15 minutes. One turn of preload + or - on the emulators makes a big difference.