is this true??

so my buddy n i were riding on our buddies private property, when the boys in blue roled up in 4 squad cars like there was a bank ebing robbed to get us out. they told us even though were on our buddies private property, our bikes need to be registered n insured, or they will impound them the next time they catch us ridin there. i mean come on, whats a dude to do these days if this is true, n u cant even ride on yr own property without johny 5 o bustin our chops!! please tell me this cant be!!!!

so my buddy n i were riding on our buddies private property, when the boys in blue roled up in 4 squad cars like there was a bank ebing robbed to get us out. they told us even though were on our buddies private property, our bikes need to be registered n insured, or they will impound them the next time they catch us ridin there. i mean come on, whats a dude to do these days if this is true, n u cant even ride on yr own property without johny 5 o bustin our chops!! please tell me this cant be!!!!

Happens all the time here in California...Operating an OHV park without permits, noise, dust, and I even got a ticket for being a public nuisance once...Beat it in court ofcourse...Just remember the man is the man until a judge states other wise...

According to the NYSDMV, all ATV's (defined as any multi-wheeled off-highway vehicle) are required to be registered ($10/year), even if operated on your own property. You are not, however, required to have insurance if you are riding on your own property (or if you are a lessee of the property ? ).

So, if you want to avoid paying for insurance, have your friend write you a lease on the property so you can ride.

Another stipulation I have only heard about is the 5 acres minimum. If the property is less than 5 acres, they may be able to shut you down from any riding at all because the property is not big enough for a "practice track".?

See here. http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/c29.htm

• Like 1

Dude, where abouts do you live? 5-o around here just assume watch us rather than be pricks.

Yea, where I am the cops just kinda drive by slow and watch. But, even if they did try to get me I would just ride into the woods and they wouldn't be able to come after me:ride:

exactly...thats what i do... like my land consists of abotu 10 acres of land and ENDLESS woods. prolly 50-60 acres worth of dense woods. so whenever i ride out on the street a little bit just doin some wheelies or somethin and a cop comes by i jsut take off onto my land and go right into the endless trails in the woods. someytimes cops will actually drive their cars in our feilds chasing me but they jsut totally loose once i hit those woods..lol

the only way they would be able to catch me is if they shot me?

and theirs no way in hell they would do that cause then THEYD have to do time.

I have an acre of land ,the last thing I would do is build a track on it and ride round and round and round and round...2 hours of that would bore the shit out of me..Not to mention the disrespect shown to all of my neighbors who enjoy the peace and quiet of these rural surroundings.....Some in my neighborhood have tried, and have been shut down..Its called common sense, use it..

I have a 28 acre farm that joins my uncles 105 acre farm. I usually only ride on the 28 acres, never a problem. The neighbors are old and the others ride too. Just keep the exhaust quiet.

I have an acre of land ,the last thing I would do is build a track on it and ride round and round and round and round...2 hours of that would bore the shit out of me..Not to mention the disrespect shown to all of my neighbors who enjoy the peace and quiet of these rural surroundings.....Some in my neighborhood have tried, and have been shut down..Its called common sense, use it..

Pathpounder, I agree, but who said anything about 1 acre??

ok first of all my buddies place is out in the middle of nowhere, its farm land an consist of 10 acres. there are a few houses in the area, but nowhere near where we ride. we dont ride on the street n keep in on the dirt! this all took place in NY state for u out there that need to know, n yes the cops out here are dicks! im just bummin on the whole situation, because its a great track to practice on, n seems to just have been killed by the local authories, or neighbors or what not. all i wanted to know was do these dirtbikes really need to be insured n registered, even though it never touches the tarmack???

? well that means everybody in my town is gettin impounded, but i say just **** the cops and jus ride in the woods and pop out jus to piss them off, but i got a dui so when i go to court ill ask the judge, ok

all i wanted to know was do these dirtbikes really need to be insured n registered, even though it never touches the tarmack???

Check the link I provided.

Like I said, you are required to be registered, but not insured (property owner/lessee). Depending on the documents you have it should be easy, but worst case, do the following:

"If your ATV has never been registered and you do not have these acceptable documents, you must complete and submit a "Statement of Ownership" (MV-51B). "

It's basically $10/year and you can tell piggy to F off.

I'm just glad the world is a peaceful place without violent crimes and such. Now the police can focus all their resources (ie. 4 sqad cars) on all of these real problem areas such as the one you describe.

Check the link I provided.

Like I said, you are required to be registered, but not insured (property owner/lessee). Depending on the documents you have it should be easy, but worst case, do the following:

"If your ATV has never been registered and you do not have these acceptable documents, you must complete and submit a "Statement of Ownership" (MV-51B). "

It's basically $10/year and you can tell piggy to F off.

there were no atv's just dirtbikes though!

there were no atv's just dirtbikes though!
Re-read my 1st post.?
According to the NYSDMV, all ATV's (defined as any multi-wheeled off-highway vehicle) -this includes dirtbikes- are required to be registered ($10/year), even if operated on your own property.